Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded Cam Swap/ZERO Oil Pressure!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreaded Cam Swap/ZERO Oil Pressure!!!

I have searched and searched and found out the number one cause being the O ring, we were very precautios with removing the cam, checked everything with the new rollmaster and LS6 oil pump. The only thing we didnt do was replace the stupid O ring. I turned it over just to check for any noise it was ok, so I fired it up and after 5 seconds had nothing. We have done this before so I know you should have pressure by then. I got a new O ring that we are putting in as we speak, Im going to double check on the spacer plate for the oil pump too just to be safe. Is there a trick to the o ring? Should I put it in the pump first or just slide it over the tube like I have always done. If I pull the pump fuse and coil packs, how soon should I get pressure when turning it over? Thanks for any help guys, I guess you live and learn and I hope this is the problem.
Thanks Chris.

PS a engine builder said something about using a feeler gauge and it needs 2000ths clearence when tighting the oil pump pick up tube or the oil pump this is what a buddy said the builder said?

Last edited by SlowLS1C5; 04-23-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Also since it basically has zero run time do you think the gaskets are safe to use over like the Water pump and timing chain? Obviously when I took them out they looked brand new!
Old 04-23-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your gaskets are fine.

The only trick with the o-ring is to make sure it doesn't get pinched by the oil pump and of course, that you use a new o-ring. Get the o-ring in there, tighten it up and then tighten up the oil pump. It helps to oil up the o-ring so it slides easily into its position.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Launching!

I dont beleive you will get any oil pressure by just cranking the motor with the starter. It needs more rpms to build some pressure up since its driven by the crank it self. Also if you messed around with an intake swap or removal make sure you didnt break your oil pressure sending unit, that would give you a reading of zero on your gauge. Good Luck
Old 04-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Launching!

I tried cranking the enginge with the coil packs disconnected to see if I could see any oil pressure after my rebuild but it never went up. I hooked everything up and the oil pressure came right up. From the post it looks like he fired the car up and it was running so he should of had oil pressure. I know it sucks to have to do things twice, I'm in the middle of pulling my trans because of an oil leak somewhere from the back of the engine. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

Well I ended up pulling it all apart just to check on the oil pump. The spacer for the oil pump that you use with the rollmaster had silicone on part of the port hole. I also replaced the O ring of course and we fired it up we got oil pressure. I also think that you will not get any reading when turning the car over just to check pressure. When you turn the key to start postion where the engine is cracking all the gauges drop down until you let back on the key then they all pop back up.

Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SlowLS1C5
Well I ended up pulling it all apart just to check on the oil pump. The spacer for the oil pump that you use with the rollmaster had silicone on part of the port hole. I also replaced the O ring of course and we fired it up we got oil pressure. I also think that you will not get any reading when turning the car over just to check pressure. When you turn the key to start postion where the engine is cracking all the gauges drop down until you let back on the key then they all pop back up.

Thanks for all your help guys.
You can/will get oil pressure by just spinning the motor over with coil packs disconnected(just installed a FMS 408 in my friends car and did it this way) It was most likely the "oring" problem. Congrats on your install!!
Old 04-24-2005, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it going. Not sure why anyone would go through all the time, money and work to swap an oil pump and not change out a $2 o-ring only to have to tear it all apart again to fix it right a second time. Makes no sense to me but a lot of people seem to do this.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:54 AM
10 Second Club

Glad its Fixed.... By the way, you can get oil pressure up in the engine by just cranking the engine over with the coil packs unplugged.......
Old 04-24-2005, 09:27 PM
Launching!

Good post!!! I'm still finishing the conversion that I'm doing. Well, I'll agree you can get oil pressure while spinning the engine over with the starter and no plugs...confirmed with a gauge. But, I have no oil coming up from the push rods. Did this for 10 mintues with small breaks for the stater. 35-40 psi.....but no oil into the rockers??? I take it...the engine need to be running to get the extra pressure and volume to the rockers.