Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-14 Goes in Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-14 Goes in Tomorrow

Graduating today at 2 o'clock!!!! High school that is.
I got a good present for graduation: FM14, PRC kit, 4.10 gears, ls6 oil pump.
FM14 cam and all the goodies to go with it go in tomorrow.
I'll be using the guide that ls1howto has for the install.
Is there anything that I should be aware of on that install document? ie. problems anyone had with it

I'll post up a video of it running tomorrow if everything goes according to planned.

One last question: I also ordered 4.10 gears. I would like to have my shop install these and dyno tune the car at the same time. Is this possible? Is there a break in period for rear end gears?

1999 z28 M6 - Black w/ white stripes, arctic white leather
Current mods: Hooker LTs, Hooker ORY, Borla exhaust, LS6 intake, lid, Ported stock MAF, !EGR, !CAGS, !AIR, Spec Stg 3

Thanks
Old 05-22-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

only advice i have is try and place a rag in the oil pan, not so far as you cant get it out,but just enough to catch the bolt in the pickup tube in case you were to drop it in the pan when taking it off or putting it in...which will happen most likely...or get a magnant to fetch it out...i found the cam install to be pretty easy and straight forward, just make sure you follow the howto guide and im sure you will be fine...
Old 05-22-2005, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

ahh high school graduation, I remember those days ...anyways, if you don't have the knowledge for the gear install, go to a trained shop to have them installed. There is a lot of work that goes into putting gears in, lots-o-measuring. There is a break-in period also, most shops says to run the car with the rear on jack stands for about 5 minutes in foward and reverse, then drive it around for about 30 minutes, then let it cool completely and you should be good to go, it may be different for each gear set.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

and YES, be careful with the pickup tube bolt and the oil pump O ring, that's probably the hardest part of the install is the oil pump, after that, it was pretty easy I'd say. What method are you using to hold up the lifters? I used the pen magnets which did the trick for me. Slide the cam out easy, trying not to knick the cam bearings. If you have trouble, rotate the cam as you are pulling it out. Thread a few of the water pump bolts into the end of the cam, that also helps with balancing the camshaft. Just take your time and pay attention and you should be fine
Old 05-22-2005, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

What method are you using to hold up the lifters?
I was going to use 2 5/16 inch dowel rods and cut them about 4-6 inches longer than the cam and also mark on the length of the cam so i know that all the lifters are up. Those pen magnets are like $4 a peice. I can get two dowel rods for $3 total
Old 05-22-2005, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by zracer28
Those pen magnets are like $4 a peice.
I got mine from Auto Zone for $1 a peice. They are in cheapo buckets near the registers, but the rods should work also.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

i'll be using rods when i do my cam swap. don't like the crapshoot of having a magnet slip or something if hit it.
Old 05-22-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
i'll be using rods when i do my cam swap. don't like the crapshoot of having a magnet slip or something if hit it.
25 cam swaps with the magnets and no problems Just 2 cents...