Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is a lifter swap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is a lifter swap?

Two days ago I picked up an 98' Formula M6 with a hair over 100k on it for an absolute steal that I couldnt turn down. I plan on rebuilding the motor sometime early next year, but for now I can only afford a few basic things. I have a ticking from the drivers side rear of the engine, I've diagnosed it to be the lifter. I've never cracked open an ls1 before but I figure with a haynes this will be a good learning experience since I have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge. Who here has replaced their lifters and do you have any advice or warnings I should head before I start this? Approximate time of work? Anything helpfull whatsoever would be fantastic, thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

You have to pull the heads

This will get you started:
http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=3
Old 06-02-2005, 01:13 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd suspect a broken rocker before a collapsed lifter but if you need to replace the lifters, just yank the heads and they're a piece of cake to replace!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://ls1howto.com Check the head swap section.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

One thing to do also that is not usually done is replace the lifter cups especialy on high miles motors.
They are plastic and with wear can cause the lifter to turn and fubar the motor.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the help guys, that should get me started.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

The biggest pain in the *** will be torquing down the head bolts. Other then that it isn't too bad of a job.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:41 PM
Teching In

After reading all that is involved, im thinking about just swaping the heads with a ported set. Any good links to websites selling mildly ported heads? Also a z06 cam as I'd like the car to seem as stock as possible while driving around. I dont plan on ragging on it or driving it hard, but It would be nice to have a little more oomph.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by King James
The biggest pain in the *** will be torquing down the head bolts. Other then that it isn't too bad of a job.
Trq to yield yes, but not ARPs

IMO do a compression check to see if it is worth it. But have you pulled the covers and checked the rockers?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Tons of sponsors have ported heads. Just start searching and reading up then go find who has the best price for what you want.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are probably better cams than the z06 cam...some that sound and act the same but give a good bit more power
Old 06-05-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not to hijack the thread or anything, but this seems like the place for my questions

99 z28 m6 106008 miles

i made a thread about the valvetrain ticking noise, so i got some stock 5.3 heads and put the stock springs and retainers with 14K miles on them, new hardened steel 7.4 pushrods and slapped those bad boys in there. install went well. started her up, no problemo. but today as i was heading to a friends house, the noise came back. it was really the worst feeling ever and it sounds worse, like earlier and louder in the RPM range. could there be anything else that i am passing up? i had my rocker arms checked and the guy said that they were good. i will prob buy some roller rockers if i have to replace the lifters, what would you guys recommend? i hear the quick lifts, jesels, and harlan sharps are good.

would you guys recommend some comp r lifters or replace with new stock ones with new lifter cups, cuz i want the least amount of valvetrain noise as possible.

also are the ARPs worth it, i will be putting those 5.3 heads on at the same time, and i doubt they will be coming off again.

i just put in some castrol synth blend 10w40 oil and ac delco filter, could the synth blend eat up seals or anything down there, cuz i heard going to synth on a high mileage motor like mine could really screw some stuff up.

i put in some stp oil treatment as well and nothing seemed to change, should i try something different?

also, i shouldnt drive it at all right, cuz bad things happens when the lifter completely dies right?