31.69%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

AFR vs TEA

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default AFR vs TEA

I need some opinions on this one. I'm looking at the 205s or the LS1 Stage 1.5s...

Pros and Cons of both? Not looking for any bashing, just honest feedback from those who have (or had) either one.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda like compairing the Camaro to the Trans Am.
There are many oponions but these are defentially 2 of the top head companies we have.
The easy to see differences.
AFR has its own casting while TEA uses a New GM casting.
AFR has a 205 cc runner which is a clear advantage.
TEA's 5.3 head will gain compression without milling much and compression is horsepower.
TEA's stage 1.5 5.3 will flow better numbers then AFR but is also a larger cc head.
Cost TEA has a HUGE clear advantage.
Customer service is a "A" from both companies and both Brent and Tony do a awsome job posting on this site and helping the members. Really you need to call both Tony and Brent and see who sells their product better. TEA sells AFR heads. I ordered a set a few months ago and their FIRST suggestion was AFR, but my wallet told me TEA.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:32 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
I need some opinions on this one. I'm looking at the 205s or the LS1 Stage 1.5s...

Pros and Cons of both? Not looking for any bashing, just honest feedback from those who have (or had) either one.

Hasn't this topic (or a facsimile there of) been beat to death already? Take a minute and use the search feature. You will find a ton of opinions, various pieces of information, as well as dyno results (more importantly) with both heads in question.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:34 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AFR's

There has been plenty of discussion about "the blue pill" take a second and read some of the threads out there. Peak flow numbers aren't the only factor. Velocity, etc... is a key deciding point. IMHO There is plenty of evidence showing the AFR to be the best head avaliable.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had excellent results using AFR 205's

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/355637-afr-205-stock-bottom-results.html
Old 08-04-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

*cough* search button *cough*

Like J-Rod has pointed out, peak flow isn't where its all at. If I could afford AFRs, they'd be on my car. Between their chamber/port design and the port velocity they achieve, those heads are hard to beat.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS7SS
I had excellent results using AFR 205's

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355637
Yes those are great results, but it isnt like TEA hasnt done the exact same thing. IMO, bang for the buck TEA.

Brandon
Old 08-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Yes those are great results, but it isnt like TEA hasnt done the exact same thing. IMO, bang for the buck TEA.

Brandon
Except we did it with a relatively small Cam
Old 08-04-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

AFR without a question.
I'm sure TEA can port some head to match the HP output of the 205's but it is not Stage 1.5 for sure and other porting will put you in the price range of the AFR.
So AFR it is.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:06 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My little ol' 1.5's put down 480rwhp
Old 08-04-2005, 11:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thansk tony...i know all about the search function. i've been using it for the past 36 hours. every topic has been beat to death...sorry if some of us have to wait a year after a product's release to be able to afford it. how current is the info in old posts? it's not...maybe something new has come along since 2-10-2005....

i assumed since everyone is proud of their stuff, they wouldnt mind saying "I have --- heads with a ---/--- cam and made --- hp..."

Just looking for some feedback....
Old 08-04-2005, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
My little ol' 1.5's put down 480rwhp
Thats kinda what I was thinking. BTW you arent the only one around this board. I have seen dyno numbers on here with the AFR heads that put down 480whp and 440whp. Its seems like the unfair advantage goes to the AFR, hp wise, because the people are going all out on the supporting mods, Fast 90/90, pulley, sometimes water pump, the best headers. I dont fly the flag for any of these companies and run my own work, so I am just trying to give an unbiased opinion.

Brandon
Old 08-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Thats kinda what I was thinking. BTW you arent the only one around this board. I have seen dyno numbers on here with the AFR heads that put down 480whp and 440whp. Its seems like the unfair advantage goes to the AFR, hp wise, because the people are going all out on the supporting mods, Fast 90/90, pulley, sometimes water pump, the best headers. I dont fly the flag for any of these companies and run my own work, so I am just trying to give an unbiased opinion.

Brandon
I don't agree with that....There are LOTS of results with people running LS6 intakes, no EWP, some running exhaust manifolds and baby cams, and many of these totally owner installed, truly independent results, have shown to be very promising and have made great power. My car is an example of what is capable with the right set-up and a small cam. I make no bones about the fact it would take a lot of $$'s to duplicate what I did, but I don't feel there is a better head then the one I chose to build that combination around, especially if you're building a "dual purpose" car and are concerned with the entire driving experience, not just peak power and TQ figures.

Tony M.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got afr heads that are out of the box, unmilled with a ls6 intake. id like to hit they dyno up soon but it may be a few months. its a great head, and the car feels wicked fast.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

The search button is over rated, like talking to an operator when you want to talk to a person. If you dont feel like adding to a post, then dont, i hate seeing moderators constantly telling people to search, lets just make this forum one big F'in Archive shall we? I have seen both TEA heads and AFR heads on the dyno and the track. If i were attempting to out perform the AFR heads, id do the LS6 Stage 2.5's for a stock cube motor. Otherwise, AFR 205's.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I don't agree with that....There are LOTS of results with people running LS6 intakes, no EWP, some running exhaust manifolds and baby cams, and many of these totally owner installed, truly independent results, have shown to be very promising and have made great power. My car is an example of what is capable with the right set-up and a small cam. I make no bones about the fact it would take a lot of $$'s to duplicate what I did, but I don't feel there is a better head then the one I chose to build that combination around, especially if you're building a "dual purpose" car and are concerned with the entire driving experience, not just peak power and TQ figures.

Tony M.
Tony dont forget I said bang for the buck. Your heads do cost more, period. Is there a guaranteed 10-20 more hp with the AFR head? Probably, but is it worth the extra money? That is for the purchaser to decide. Personally I find it very novel how the vendors on here go back and forth. Its like a soap opera in text. Keep it coming, its been a boring week.

Brandon
Old 08-04-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Scoobie
The search button is over rated, like talking to an operator when you want to talk to a person. If you dont feel like adding to a post, then dont, i hate seeing moderators constantly telling people to search, lets just make this forum one big F'in Archive shall we? motor.
I agree, its always good to hear a fresh perspective on a subject. Unless its a exact question with an exact answer and has already been answered.

Brandon
Old 08-04-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

sometimes a search wont help and the more people that get parts get more results and you get a better idea of the average instead of just really high or really low numbers. the afr head is a work of art, if you could afford it and dont have to think about the money just get them. if money is an issue you wont be disappointed with tea what-so-ever IMO, although i am biased lol
Old 08-04-2005, 12:25 PM
Launching!

AFR man. Heads make power, and are one of the places you don't cheap out on. Not to knock TEA. They have great heads for the money.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

In searches most of the time you not only get what you were looking for but also extra stuff along with it. I think that is why everyone asks that you search. Plus I think people (I am one of them) get tired of answer the EXACT same question over and over. ESPECIALLY when it is on the same page or just a few posts below it. Now this has nothing to do with this post in particular I was just mentioning my thoughts on the search button and it's purpose. I believe some of the best information is the information found on your own through reading. A lot of times people leave little things out because they have been past that. Just like if I have the TB bypass on my car (which I do) then someone asks me how to take the throttle body off or something that involves taking it off, I will skip the step that removes the coolant line, because it's almost like it doesn't exist since I have taken the throttle body off numerous times since the TB bypass has been done. Just food for thought, take it for what it's worth.