Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear main seal question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear main seal question

Hey guys, I am trying to replace my rear main seal, and I can't get the freakin original one off. There are 3 slots to pry it off, but the thing is just falling apart instead of coming off. Anyone have any tips for me?

By the way, I tried to search...it wouldn't work for some reason. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torch, or other form of heat.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No way I'd be using a torch by the crank... not that big of a deal just me. Use a smaller screwdriver and tap it with a hammer. Get deep behind it and pry. Don't wory about ruining it youre getting a new one jsut worry about scratching the crank. If you scratch it then you may rip your seal and it won't seal anymore. Tap, pry, tap, pry, tap, pry....
-Alex
Old 12-19-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the rear cover off the engine, so I'm not really worried about the crank. I'm swapping this stuff to the new engine, si I figured I'd replace the rear main seal while I was at it, and now it's causing me a headache. Thanks for the suggestions though!
Old 12-19-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh if thats the case just take a screw drivers and tap it from the backside. It'll pop right out. It may take some covincing though.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slo_240sx
No way I'd be using a torch by the crank... not that big of a deal just me. Use a smaller screwdriver and tap it with a hammer. Get deep behind it and pry. Don't wory about ruining it youre getting a new one jsut worry about scratching the crank. If you scratch it then you may rip your seal and it won't seal anymore. Tap, pry, tap, pry, tap, pry....
-Alex
You can't change the rear main seal without removing the rear cover from the engine. A torch is perfectly fine and will not harm to the crank or the motor as you will be at least 5-6 feet from the crank when trying to remove the seal. The torch won't hurt the cover either, it might melt the seal which is dispensible anyways. Frankly the torch is the only way I could get the front or rear seals out. Screwdrivers end up damaging the edges of the cover. Heating up the cover around the seal will allow the seal to be simply pushed out, or it might fall out on its own.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip about the torch (with the cover removed), definetly made things much easier! I am surprised at how much of a difference there is from the original seal on my 98 LS1 compared to the new style seal.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:16 AM
TECH Regular

are you going to use the gm tool to re-seat the cover/seal or do it by eye?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:37 AM
9 Second Club

I have the new version seal and from what I read I didn't necessarily need the tool. I put the seal on the cover, took my time doing it and maybe had to start over once to get it even but it seemed to come out fine. I put the cover on (with the seal in it) and took my time there as well and it seemed to go on good. Just had to make sure that the plastic piece around the starter wasn't in the way of the cover.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

my new seal is a little slimmer than the original and doesnt stick out of the cover as much. was easy to press in with some lube on it.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I use a hydraulic press to get the rear seal out, its so simple. If you dont have one just take it to a local shop that has one, theyll charge like 10 bucks. Its a headache saver.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
You can't change the rear main seal without removing the rear cover from the engine. A torch is perfectly fine and will not harm to the crank or the motor as you will be at least 5-6 feet from the crank when trying to remove the seal. The torch won't hurt the cover either, it might melt the seal which is dispensible anyways. Frankly the torch is the only way I could get the front or rear seals out. Screwdrivers end up damaging the edges of the cover. Heating up the cover around the seal will allow the seal to be simply pushed out, or it might fall out on its own.
you can remove the seal with out removing the cover its pretty simple just pry it out.do it all the time. or if the cover is removed set a screw driver inside the ledge of the seal with the cover supported by two boards and knock it out.