Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So You Want to Do a Cam Swap $$$

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking So You Want to Do a Cam Swap $$$

So you're thinking of doing a cam swap. Should be simple and inexpensive, right?

No problem. Shop around for a cam and you can get one for $350.

Might be a good idea to replace the timing chain. Might as well go all the way and get a good double roller adjustible. $150.

What the heck, gotta take the oil pump off to get to the timing chain assembly, just to be safe, might as well replace with a new one. $100.

Need new springs for that darn cam 'cause the factory springs aren't up to it. Just to be on the safe side, might as well get the dual springs and while you're at it, might as well get titanium retainers, and better get valve spring seat inserts too.

What the heck, you see this guy with some Z06 heads that only have 1K miles on them and they already have the dual springs and everything you need on them and they even have the light weight valves and he only wants a little bit more for the heads than the springs & retainers and seats would cost. $800.

Wait a minute, you see there aren't any shims under the springs. Better check the valve spring height. Tool to check height is $65 and shims are $35. Another $100.

Since you'll be checking the spring height, might as well play it safe and get new valve stem seals. $35.

Now you're gonna be taking the heads off, so, might as well play it safe and put in new lifters, right? Get a deal. $100.

What the heck, don't want those factory headbolts when you put the heads back on so might as well get the ARP's. Looks like the stud kit has it's advantages. $230.

Need a bunch of gaskets and seals for all of this. $150

If you're going to be putting head gaskets on, might as well get the ones that can be reused just in case you screw it up the first time. Cometics = $150.

You'll need hardened pushrods now, but maybe it's be better to just go with full roller rockers that are adjustible so there aren't problems with pushrod length and after all, they come with guide plates and everything you could possibly need. $600

So far, $2615 has slipped through your soon to be bloody, grease stained fingers and dirty finger nails w/o all of the little miscellaneous stuff, and you haven't even spun a wrench to install it or pay someone else to do it.

And if you do the work yourself you'll need a first aide kit to take care of the cuts all over your hands from squeezing them into places with a wrench where there really isn't enough room for the wrench alone.

Then there's the emergency room bill from you throwing a wrench that bounces off the floor, then the garage wall and comes back and hits you squarely on the bridge of your nose. Lucky for you you have health insurance. Only $100 for the emergency room visit. Ouch! Those stitches are probably gonna leave an ugly scar.

Don't forget about the money you'll need to hire an attorney to defend you in the murder trial. Too bad one of your neighbors came over and tried to talk to you while you were in the middle of this. An insanity plea might work, but you'll need at least one expert witness - more money.

Oh, and don't worry about you car any more. Your wife had to sell it to cover your bond so you could get out of jail. No way she would get another mortgage on the house to get your sorry *** out of there.

She really hopes you got plugged in the *** at least once by Bubba while you were in there so you have some idea what you're in for when you get served with the divorce papers - after the trial.

Parts for you simple cam install, around $2600. The unforgettable experience of doing it all yourself - PRICELESS.

No names were stated or changed to protect the innocent. Everyone writing or reading this is guilty.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Bored man?/
Old 03-18-2006, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. How about you man?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:16 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, the law of go-fast : one thing always leads to another...and another...and another.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats usually how it goes.....if its not one thing its another
Old 03-18-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Ahhh, the quest for Mustang spanking power. Don't you love it?
Old 03-18-2006, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Not too far off from how my "budget" cam swap went. After all the issues it cost me over 5 grand.
Not to mention the 19% interest because the only way I could pay for it was credit card.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ILLWS6
Not too far off from how my "budget" cam swap went. After all the issues it cost me over 5 grand.
Not to mention the 19% interest because the only way I could pay for it was credit card.
That's nuts, I'm not even going to ask what went wrong. That's the way it goes though. Something always has to go wrong. If something doesn't go wrong, consider yourself lucky.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Ahhh, the quest for Mustang spanking power. Don't you love it?
I don't even consider them competition..other than the 03/04 Cobra's. I dont think there was a time I raced a GT and he was anywhere near my car. Not saying there arent fast ones out there, just not here. Heck, I'll catch a stop light with some and they'll do nothing. Although I did race this one guy and at the next light he was like 'is that a 5.7?!' I laughed '....yup'
Old 03-18-2006, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trust
I don't even consider them competition..other than the 03/04 Cobra's. I dont think there was a time I raced a GT and he was anywhere near my car. Not saying there arent fast ones out there, just not here. Heck, I'll catch a stop light with some and they'll do nothing. Although I did race this one guy and at the next light he was like 'is that a 5.7?!' I laughed '....yup'
Your kidding arent you?
Old 03-18-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow...depressing. i dont even want to get a cam anymore.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

After all the bullshit issues I have had with my cam and tuning and IAC and idle dipping at idle and exhaust leak andfuck **** **** **** **** **** I wouldn't do it again.
Old 03-18-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, but $2600 is CHEAP for a cam, lifters, oil pump, timing chain, head, valve springs, pushrods, and rocker swap... You didn't do JUST a cam swap buddy
Old 03-18-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Sorry, but $2600 is CHEAP for a cam, lifters, oil pump, timing chain, head, valve springs, pushrods, and rocker swap... You didn't do JUST a cam swap buddy

I agree, but I think his post was intended mainly as humor. FWIW I did a "cam swap" that turned into pulling heads and changing lifters. It did cost more than I planned, but was not 2600$. Besides, most people will tell you to budget at least 1000$ for a cam swap anyway.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Wait, you forgot upgrading your fuel system because you'll be pushing 450+WHP(with a 230+cam), getting and LS6 intake manifold and then getting a tune....and then dont forget roasting your clutch and blowing you 10bolt....yup, sounds pretty cheap and simple....lol
Old 03-18-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could make a thread like this too... "You want to do a simple CAGS delete as your first mod?... Might as well drop the motor for a new 427 while you're at it!"
Old 03-18-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What else do you have to spend your money on? Booze and broads?
Old 03-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kenp
So you're thinking of doing a cam swap. Should be simple and inexpensive, right?

No problem. Shop around for a cam and you can get one for $350.

Might be a good idea to replace the timing chain. Might as well go all the way and get a good double roller adjustible. $150.

What the heck, gotta take the oil pump off to get to the timing chain assembly, just to be safe, might as well replace with a new one. $100.

Need new springs for that darn cam 'cause the factory springs aren't up to it. Just to be on the safe side, might as well get the dual springs and while you're at it, might as well get titanium retainers, and better get valve spring seat inserts too.

What the heck, you see this guy with some Z06 heads that only have 1K miles on them and they already have the dual springs and everything you need on them and they even have the light weight valves and he only wants a little bit more for the heads than the springs & retainers and seats would cost. $800.

Wait a minute, you see there aren't any shims under the springs. Better check the valve spring height. Tool to check height is $65 and shims are $35. Another $100.

Since you'll be checking the spring height, might as well play it safe and get new valve stem seals. $35.

Now you're gonna be taking the heads off, so, might as well play it safe and put in new lifters, right? Get a deal. $100.

What the heck, don't want those factory headbolts when you put the heads back on so might as well get the ARP's. Looks like the stud kit has it's advantages. $230.

Need a bunch of gaskets and seals for all of this. $150

If you're going to be putting head gaskets on, might as well get the ones that can be reused just in case you screw it up the first time. Cometics = $150.

You'll need hardened pushrods now, but maybe it's be better to just go with full roller rockers that are adjustible so there aren't problems with pushrod length and after all, they come with guide plates and everything you could possibly need. $600

So far, $2615 has slipped through your soon to be bloody, grease stained fingers and dirty finger nails w/o all of the little miscellaneous stuff, and you haven't even spun a wrench to install it or pay someone else to do it.

And if you do the work yourself you'll need a first aide kit to take care of the cuts all over your hands from squeezing them into places with a wrench where there really isn't enough room for the wrench alone.

Then there's the emergency room bill from you throwing a wrench that bounces off the floor, then the garage wall and comes back and hits you squarely on the bridge of your nose. Lucky for you you have health insurance. Only $100 for the emergency room visit. Ouch! Those stitches are probably gonna leave an ugly scar.

Don't forget about the money you'll need to hire an attorney to defend you in the murder trial. Too bad one of your neighbors came over and tried to talk to you while you were in the middle of this. An insanity plea might work, but you'll need at least one expert witness - more money.

Oh, and don't worry about you car any more. Your wife had to sell it to cover your bond so you could get out of jail. No way she would get another mortgage on the house to get your sorry *** out of there.

She really hopes you got plugged in the *** at least once by Bubba while you were in there so you have some idea what you're in for when you get served with the divorce papers - after the trial.

Parts for you simple cam install, around $2600. The unforgettable experience of doing it all yourself - PRICELESS.

No names were stated or changed to protect the innocent. Everyone writing or reading this is guilty.
Man I could not have written that any better than you did! LOL , that was excellent!!
Old 03-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Teching In

don't forget about the $500-$550 for a tune....
Old 03-18-2006, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

send this to mastercard the commercial would be priceless and maybe you could get enough to pay for your next Mod !!!