Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent pushrods=Bent valves???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bent pushrods=Bent valves???

I bent my pushrods a while back, had them replaced and the motor runs smooth and feels fine. Just talked to my buddy's mechanic and he said that if I bent to pushrods then the valves are probably bent too and that you can really only tell on a leakdown test. I didn't break a spring when this happened (somehow) but I did bent one of the pushrods to about a 30 degree angle. Does this sound right? Wouldn't it run like total sh*t if the valves were bent?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Banned

Normally i dont think so... I've fixed several guys cars who bent the pushrods bad on M6 stick cars ...almost always from missing a gear REAL bad while racing. None hurt anything but the pushrods.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

how would it bend the valves?
Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Ping King
how would it bend the valves?
That's what I was wondering??? Yes, bending the pushrods was from a 3rd-4th down to second misshift. The car shut down almost imediatly after, so it was a BAD misshift.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you had a bent value it would run bad. Check the compression or do a leak down test to be safe.

Bill
Old 06-29-2006, 08:10 PM
12 Second Club

If you're running hardened pushrods, you could bend a valve on a bad misshift. If you're running stock pushrods, good chance that's all that bent. The buddy's mechanic probably doesn't realize how flimsy our stock pieces are.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

I bent my pushrods very badly and it didnt hurt the valves at all. I did a leakdown test and it checked out ok. But that wasnt good enough for me I pulled the heads and checked. Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Viper
If you're running hardened pushrods, you could bend a valve on a bad misshift. If you're running stock pushrods, good chance that's all that bent. The buddy's mechanic probably doesn't realize how flimsy our stock pieces are.
Yes, they were stock pushrods. His mechanic works on LS motors all the time and says he's seen it happen to like 6 cars. Wouldn't the car run terrible if the valve's were bent or if they're slightly bent would the car run pretty good to the point where I can't tell???
Old 06-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS144
I bent my pushrods very badly and it didnt hurt the valves at all. I did a leakdown test and it checked out ok. But that wasnt good enough for me I pulled the heads and checked. Better safe than sorry.
Where would I need to go to have a leakdown test done? How exactly does it work? How much am I looking at for the test?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Teching In

I bent 2 p-rods and bent 2 valves and colapsed 2 lifters way back in 2000.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

When you top out a gear and accidentally shift into a lower gear instead of a higher one, you mechanically overrev the motor by quite a bit. The anemic stock valvesprings simply can not control the inertia of the valvetrain at this speed. The result is that the lifters jump off the cam lobes since the spring isnt strong enough to keep it down, with the lifter off, the valve is still further down and floating when a piston comes up and smacks the valve. This sends a sharp hit through the valvetrain, which is usually enough to collapse and bend the pushrod under the inertia of the lifter. Usually the valve is much stronger than the pushrod, so the pushrod bends to absorb the shock. I would say that of all the people who bend stock pushrods due to an overrev, 95% or more have no problems with the valves.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

so valve float would cause bent valves, not a bent pushrod.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ping King
so valve float would cause bent valves, not a bent pushrod.
No, youre missing the point. Valve float and a resulting valve to piston colission will impact both the valve and the pushrod. Since the stock pushrods are far softer, they usually bend before the valve does.... unless youre particularly unlucky or really trhrash your motor.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bent 15 valves and 16 pushrods,then again my timing chain broke.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
When you top out a gear and accidentally shift into a lower gear instead of a higher one, you mechanically overrev the motor by quite a bit. The anemic stock valvesprings simply can not control the inertia of the valvetrain at this speed. The result is that the lifters jump off the cam lobes since the spring isnt strong enough to keep it down, with the lifter off, the valve is still further down and floating when a piston comes up and smacks the valve. This sends a sharp hit through the valvetrain, which is usually enough to collapse and bend the pushrod under the inertia of the lifter. Usually the valve is much stronger than the pushrod, so the pushrod bends to absorb the shock. I would say that of all the people who bend stock pushrods due to an overrev, 95% or more have no problems with the valves.
Thanks for the post! Hopefully this week I will be having full exhaust and N20 put on it and will replace the obviously beat up stock springs with LS6 springs until I save the funds to buy some bigger/better heads.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Teching In

I've Broken one pushrod before.. the mechanic only changed one though.. so does that mean the others might still be bent?? i dont hear a really loud ticking like before my one pushrod broke.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

I've bent one pushrod before, and it sounded pretty nasty. Easy fix though in our case.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:55 AM
Teching In

If they were the stock rods your motor has a good chance that it is ok but if you bent a hardened rod you would have a problem.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

When I bent pushrods, I also bent 5 valves. Most weren't bent enough to even notice with the car running but one was bent enough to cause a miss at idle (threw a code and everything).

Mark
Old 07-17-2006, 12:17 PM
Teching In

is it expensive to change all the valves and pushrods?

Quick Reply: Bent pushrods=Bent valves???