Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might have messed up. Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Might have messed up. Need opinions.

Finally got my PR's installed and think I may have a problem. My set-up is etp 215's w/stock rockers, TR223/234 114lsa, 0.040 Cometics and lunati lifters on a stock bottom Z06.
I measured my PR length via Comp's PR checker and came up with different values for the intake and the exhaust (8.03 and 7.99 with 0.40 preload added). I contacted Cary@ETP and he said it is possible that I ended up with different lengths, so I wasn't too worried about that. I let the lifters soak in oil for a couple days prior to installation and slapped them in as well as the heads.
I put the cam on the base circle, inserted my adj. PR and torqued down my rocker to about 12 ft.lbs. I had a little trouble getting the PR checker to unwind w/o spinning on the lifter so I just decided keep pulling it out and lengthening it until I got zero lash (no 'ticking' of the rocker when I pull on the lip or press gently on it). I checked this twice and was satisfied with my measurement.
Well I got my custom length PR and threw them in (they're all within .0005). I notice now that I have some play on the exhaust valve rocker. I'm pretty sure I should have no play in any of them because they are all under load now (even on the base circle there should be 0.040 preload). So I'm pissed at myself right now to say the least. I was going to check the PR length again but I threw the rack, rad etc. and can't get to the crank bolt. My question after all this is can the lifter bleed down some even though it was only soaked in oil in the first place. If I have to (and it looks like I will) I'll pull the rack out and do it again.

Sorry for the long winded post.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure if this helps, but a couple of things I ran into when I installed my Cranes. If the Lunatis you have are the same as the Morels, I found that they would stick in the retainer block unless you pushed down on them pretty hard. Also, the plunger pushes in real easy on the lifter when new. So I guess the question is whether the measurement you took was skewed by the lifter hanging in the retainer. Have you tried the intake PR on the exhaust valve? Also, do you have a dial indicator to measure the preload as you tighten the rocker down?
Old 08-08-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=vettenuts]
Not sure if this helps, but a couple of things I ran into when I installed my Cranes. If the Lunatis you have are the same as the Morels, I found that they would stick in the retainer block unless you pushed down on them pretty hard. Also, the plunger pushes in real easy on the lifter when new. So I guess the question is whether the measurement you took was skewed by the lifter hanging in the retainer.
I noticed that also. We only put one head on for the check and I was watching from the other side to make sure the lifter was riding the cam.

[QUOTE=vettenuts]
Have you tried the intake PR on the exhaust valve?
I did switch them around and it did seem better (no lash) but at that point I wasn't sure which valve was which (my other thread, thanks for the tip ) I decided to pack it in and check here. I will try that again tomorrow and get the rack out of the way so I can verify whether I messed up. Worst that can happen is I have 8 new 5/16, 7.990" doublewall 3-piece chopsticks.

[QUOTE=vettenuts]
Also, do you have a dial indicator to measure the preload as you tighten the rocker down?
I can get one. Thanks for you help, I'll check in tomorrow with an update.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can make a wrench so you don't have to remove the rack to turn the motor. I welded a socket to a 1/8" thick flat bar. I cut the socket so it was long enough to engage the bolt on the damper. I can send you a photo if it will help.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can turn the engine over easily by jacking up the car so the rear tires are off the ground, putting the car in 4th and turning the left tire by hand. One turn of the tire = one crankshaft revolution.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks vettenuts and jub for the tips. Both excellent ideas. I will have an answer today, hopefully I just have the pr's on the wrong valve.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I forgot to add...take the spark plugs out first!

I remember when I put new lifters in my car, some of them were loose before I started the engine. Once the engine pumps them up the slack is taken out.

Maybe that's all your problem is.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just an update for the guys helping me out with my PR length issues. Sadly I did have to order 8 new (longer) pushrods. I really don't know how it happened. We're thinking that perhaps the 2 nuts on the comp checker may have somehow skewed the reading (rubbing in the bore) so we ditched them this time. May have not had it on the base circle, who knows. I don't think all of my valves are sitting at the exact same height either. I have some preload on the exh. valve on one piston and it feels as though it's @ zero lash on another. Anyhow the new ones are 0.040 longer so I should be around 0.040 avg. preload across the board. Thanks for the help guys, looks like it'll be another week before I fire this thing up.