Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

everybody with TSP torquer v2!! come in!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default everybody with TSP torquer v2!! come in!!

im thinking bout putting this in my car with stock heads and i have a few questions!

Does ne body know what the piston to valve clerance is with this cam on stock heads?

and also when you put the cam in did you put it in striaght up or did you retard it or lean it out?

Ne help would be appreciated thanks!

Last edited by camscam02; 08-14-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

installed it straight up...it clears my PRC Stg 2.5 5.3L heads milled .010 with a GM graphite gasket
Old 08-15-2006, 07:45 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anybody?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
installed it straight up...it clears my PRC Stg 2.5 5.3L heads milled .010 with a GM graphite gasket
What LSA/ICL ?

TV2 will clear stock heads with stock gasket (.054)
Guitsboy has a nice 112+2 (his heads are milled .040, so he hhad to notch) but the same cam on unmilled stock valved heads should fiy no problema.
Nice VEs on that grind.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though I know the clearance I have with the notches, i cant calculate stock clearance since i dont know how far down the valve sits in the relief.

After talking to TSP, they said that they fit the torquer 2 under heads milled .015, with a stock gasket, But they said it was tight. The standard T2 cam comes with 4* advance ground in. Running it with less advance or straight up should increase your P to V clearance as well.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
What LSA/ICL ?
That would have been helpful information: LSA 112+2 ICL 110
Old 08-16-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

That would have been helpful information: LSA 112+2 ICL 110
Do you know what are the int/exh PTV clearance values?
Old 08-16-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

i don't have any actual values...i turned it over a couple times by hand without any issue.

then i put a VERY thin layer of playdough on the piston and looked for impressions after i turned the motor over a couple of times. I'd say the layer was <1mm.

there weren't any marks and TSP said it would clear without issue so i was satisfied
Old 08-16-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

i don't have any actual values...i turned it over a couple times by hand without any issue.

then i put a VERY thin layer of playdough on the piston and looked for impressions after i turned the motor over a couple of times. I'd say the layer was <1mm.

there weren't any marks and TSP said it would clear without issue so i was satisfied
Darn,
Even TSP can't give me any clearance margin on the 112
(So far).
Man Does any body ever measure their clearances

See clearances and fitting are getting so loose lately. Some poeple even believe that if they slap a cam in, rotate it a couple of times and the motor does so freely, that this means the cam clears.

IIRC 1mm is only like .039 so that doesnt qualify as clearance.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Darn,
Even TSP can't give me any clearance margin on the 112
(So far).
Man Does any body ever measure their clearances

See clearances and fitting are getting so loose lately. Some poeple even believe that if they slap a cam in, rotate it a couple of times and the motor does so freely, that this means the cam clears.

IIRC 1mm is only like .039 so that doesnt qualify as clearance.
I change my valvesprings annually (3000mi) anyway, so I don't really have to worry as much about an outer or inner spring breaking and having a piston plow into a valve unless I run the car ***** out upon starting it on a freezing winter morning. <---run on sentence...lol

Didn't you run an identical valvetrain setup to what I have now? Why didn't you measure clearance?

At least my super duper ultra thin layer of playdough is better than your "bolt it up and go".

Although I should have globbed on the playdough and measured the space between the impression and the piston since I was already installing a head and putting playdough in there.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

I change my valvesprings annually (3000mi) anyway, so I don't really have to worry as much about an outer or inner spring breaking and having a piston plow into a valve unless I run the car ***** out upon starting it on a freezing winter morning. <---run on sentence...lol

Didn't you run an identical valvetrain setup to what I have now? Why didn't you measure clearance?
Yes, I did. Mine was on a 113+0 and my intake clearance was .085, and exhaust .11. I measured with a dial.
So logicaly speaking your 112 should be tighter than that.
How much tighter is what I'm trying to find out.

At least my super duper ultra thin layer of playdough is better than your "bolt it up and go".

Although I should have globbed on the playdough and measured the space between the impression and the piston since I was already installing a head and putting playdough in there.
Why are you turning this into mockery?
For starters, you do not use playdough because it is elastic and you'll never get a true reading. You have to use natural non synth dough.
I'm not trying to step on anyone's feet. I just would like someone to give me the clearances int/exh on a Tv2, 112 LSA with PRC 2.04 and so far no one has been able to do that, including TSP.
The only answer I get is : IT FITS
I wanna know: BY HOW MUCH
Because according to my experience with that cam and those heads it must be TIGHT.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here read this, so now you might know where you stand

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/559581-prc-heads-patriot-heads.html

Quick Reply: everybody with TSP torquer v2!! come in!!