Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY cam install?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY cam install?

I will be getting a cam and valvetrain upgrade soon. I was wondering how hard a cam install would be for the moderatly mechanically inclined individual.
It has been about 13 years since I really got into working on cars. This past weekend I installed LTs on my Z and actually enjoyed it. It got me thinking if I could handle my own cam install. I have read the ls1howto.com write up several times and it "looks" simple enough.

So my question is how many of you that are mechanically inclined did your own cam install?

How many are planning your own cam install?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty good mechanically and did my first cam swap by myself in a weekend taking my time.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

I screwed this post up somehow. I have another post that is a poll.

Jason
Old 10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did my own heads and cam install back in May. Wasn't that bad...just take your time and do your research.

Check out LS1howto.com and read up on it.

There is a ton of good info on that site not only about H/C swaps, but other stuff as well.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:11 PM

I did my own, It was easy. Just make sure you have the right tools and a friend to help out (even if just for moral support & someone to talk with) Give yourself a weekend to get it done.

even made my own spring tool.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not hard at all, just requires some patience. Did mine with no help whatsoever in a weeks worth of evenings.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by davered00ss
Just make sure you have the right tools and a friend to help out (even if just for moral support & someone to talk with)
I couldn't have done it without my buds. There were days where i did everything but it's nice to have someone to talk to. Plus they can pass you any tools you may need...
Old 10-17-2006, 06:31 PM

Someone has to order the Pizza. & go get it.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Launching!

I was forced into a cam/head swap. I had a chunk of metal get sucked into my motor. It's taken me way to long to do it(while working 50 hours a week). But don't be afraid. I'm 20 and have never done more than my own oil changes, break jobs and install my catback. Now that I'm almost done and looking at the motor, all I can think about is buying better parts and putting them in, now that I know how easy it is.

And figured I'd throw in my "in car" pose as well.

Rick M.
Attached Thumbnails DIY cam install?-rickincar.jpg  
Old 10-18-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro Rick
I was forced into a cam/head swap. I had a chunk of metal get sucked into my motor. It's taken me way to long to do it(while working 50 hours a week). But don't be afraid. I'm 20 and have never done more than my own oil changes, break jobs and install my catback. Now that I'm almost done and looking at the motor, all I can think about is buying better parts and putting them in, now that I know how easy it is. Rick M.
Exactly, as long as your good at following directions and dont lose parts like the cam retaining plate.. ( ) you'll do fine. I went from doing my own oil changes, and paying someone to replace my rockers (sure was stupid looking back at it now) to taking my motor apart, and going A4 -> M6. Just be sure to give yourself time! While doing H/c in a weekend can be done, besure to plan ahead for the unplanned. AKA, broken parts, stuff that doesn't want to come out cause it's rusted etc... GL
Old 10-20-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

I did my own cam and long tube install by myself. You do just fine.

IMO it is a easy as the LS1howto write-up. Go ahead and dive right in...plus you have all of us to help you out.

R/

Frat

Quick Reply: DIY cam install?