Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best of a bad situation: stock heads/2.73 rear/3800 stall/6400 max rpm = what cam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Best of a bad situation: stock heads/2.73 rear/3800 stall/6400 max rpm = what cam?

Search no workie, so bear w/ me here guys. Pretty straightforward proposition: I've got a currently bone stock '98 A4 that will be going twin turbo in a little while, but for now I'm looking for some NA horsepower to tide me over. Here's what I've got/will be getting:

Aftermarket Lid
Stock LS1 intake
Stock heads/bottom end w/ 918 valve springs
Aftermarket headers/exhaust
3800 stall converter
2.73 rear gear
Shift point of ~6400 rpm

Given those parameters, throw out some cams/specs that will fit the bill for a daily driver. Since this is semi-temporary I'm not trying to squeeze every last hp out of it, but there's also no need to leave any on the table unnecessarily. I'm not afraid of a big cam, but the above parameters will dictate the size more than anything. I know a lot of people have good luck w/ the G5X3, but I think the powerband for that may be a little too high given the lazy 2.73 rear and 6400 rpm shift point (which I've decided on for longevity's sake). Maybe something like the TSP Torquer v.2? Someone's selling a v.1 Torquer locally, is it all that different from the v.2? Any insight/suggestions are greatly appreciated
Old 11-07-2006, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know ur going to get spamd on this on due to the cam guid... but befor u do here's my .02

dont buy a cam.... if your going to buy a twin turbo kit down the road just do a catback and lid..

1.reason why, if u do a cam you will have to replace it with another turbo cam....

2.dont do full exhuast becuase you might have to buy flip headers or custom...

3.dont do a tune, becuase your going to retune when boosted.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

you sound like your not going to go all out,

by what i mean is ur stock cubes and etc...

so my true suggestion is just go buy a turbo kit...such as STS and just call it a day...

trust me, buy a kit now, and dont lead up to modding ur car to a turbo aplication...it will only lead in you spending double your amount..
Old 11-07-2006, 11:46 AM
dug
Banned

cam and spray
Old 11-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Launching!

I've already got almost everything I need for the twin turbo project, including a Z06 cam, 317 heads, and truck manifolds I'll be fabbing up the kit myself, and doing all the tuning, so there's no extra cost there. Swapping out a cam on these cars isn't that difficult, and I can alway sell the cam, lid, and headers when I'm done w/ them to recoup a lot of the cost. Barring the STS kit and Prochargers, there's really no such thing as bolt-on forced induction on our cars. I like driving my car now, and am not ready for it to be down for an indefinite amount of time, therefore hp/$$$ the cam only route makes the most sense for the time being.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Launching!

if u do go with a cam, do the Torquer 2, but i do have .650 lift springs. rest in signature, shift points at 6450. very DD and very good power under curve
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Something along those lines is what I'm leaning towards, but you don't sound too happy w/ your own dyno numbers I realize that's through a stalled A4, but I'd like to see closer to 370 rwhp (I realize it's all about power under the curve, but you know what I mean).
Old 11-07-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm.. well since you already have all those parts i would say go ahead install those and then start fabin the turbos.. i mean why wait and buy part that your going to have to resell sortly..

but if theres just no way the turbo and parts will go on now, and you want to waste money.. i say "

buy a MS3 or Trex cam..then some nitrous to wake it up under the curve and especially for those 2.73's.. "

Quick Reply: Best of a bad situation: stock heads/2.73 rear/3800 stall/6400 max rpm = what cam?