Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rocker arm bolt question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rocker arm bolt question

hey guys i am about to go through and swap out my stock pushrods with the crane chromemoly ones. does anybody know the thread for the bolts that hold the rockers down? i want to get a thread cleaner and clean up the threads, get all of that junk out of it before i tighten the rockers up. and what grade thread lock should i use on these suckers? should i get the red stuff or medium grade stuff? i cant remember what color it is but i know red is the bad *** stuff haha. so let me know guys, i really appreciate it.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:31 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No threadlock, they don't need it. Some people run a thread sealant with ported heads due to the bolts protruding into the port, but not needed for the most part.

Now about the pushrods, do you run stock valvesprings? If so, you're flirting with disaster. It's easy to float the valves with stock springs, and this causes pushrods to bend in over-rev cases. With hardened pushrods, you're probably going to bend valves instead.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

well the reason i was replacing them was because i bent two other day when i missed 4th and the stockers are $18 a peice from gm.... i know that the pushrods are kind of a fail safe in that they will give rather than braking something else, but i dont really feel the need to much to shift the car that hard again.

but i appreciate the heads up bud, but is it a problem that they are hardened? other than the over rev thing they should be all right right? but what do you think about the thread cleaner? do you know what the thread is on those bolts though? thanks alot bud i really appreciate it
Old 01-21-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is nothing to clean out of the holes other than maybe some oil. GM does not use thread locker on the threads. They use thread locker under the built in washer on the bolt head. I also agree that with hardened pushrods, you should upgrade the valve springs. In fact, with upgraded valve springs only and stock pushrods, mechanically over reving like you did will usually not bend anything. If you insist on cleaning the threads, use a thread chaser, not a tap. The size is M8x1.25.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:54 PM

Upgrade the springs. No reason to bend pushrods with a stock cam. I hve missed shifts before and when I pulled my stock pushrods out they were perfect. You may have week factory springs.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

i wouldnt have a problem swapping out the springs, my only thing is i dont know if i want to do a cam in my car or not in the future, but if i do i had patrick g designe me one and i will need to use the patriot gold dual valve spring. but on the other hand i have been thinking about going with the asa cam. if that is the case then i can just get some ls6 valve springs and be done with it. so many options lol!

but i guess i will just have to decide on what i want to do in the future. but thanks alot for the reply bud i really appreciate it, i was under the impression that they used thread locker on the bottom of the bolts. but i might do it just incase. but thanks for all the responses guys.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Running chromemoly pushrods on stock springs is asking for a broken valve/piston.
I do not recommend it
Old 01-21-2007, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

well i guess it is time to get some ls6 valve springs then. would those be ok or are those not recommended as well?

Quick Reply: rocker arm bolt question