Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help put my mind to ease

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help put my mind to ease

I'm going to want to double check my p/v clearance with the MS4 and stage 1 heads, but I can't get around the idea that turning the engine by hand is just going to compress the lifters, giving me a false reading. I imagine I'd have to use solid lifters for testing. Is this True? What do you guys do?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

Things people should use to "do it right"

cam degree kit
solid lifters
pushrod length checker
valve spring installed height micrometer

Yet, so many say 'dot to dot' and you're good to go.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

The following link is to part 2 of a 4 part series from GMHTP on how to rebuild a stroker. If you scroll through to page five and six of this article you might find some useful advice from people who should know what they're doing. IMO.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ild/index.html
Hope this helps.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

This author is not a professional engine builder, however, and wants to stick with Lunati's recommendations as to valve events. And theoretically, we've already done that. Nonetheless, it's common practice to degree the cam; that is, double-check that the timing of all valve events with respect to crank (and hence, piston) position match up to the specs provided on the cam manufacturer's cam card. This verifies that all parts have been manufactured correctly (highly unlikely with quality components from Lunati and SLP), but more significantly, the degreeing process ensures that the installers haven't made any errors of their own. This is a far more likely scenario--though we'd like to think not that likely!
Did anyone else catch this on the first page???
Old 05-10-2007, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

I think that's just their version of a 'disclaimer'.
Good thing dscott didn't use Lunati parts.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

You know, you're right. I think I was being lazy and just wanted to hear "ah, just slap it in, it'll be alright". And it very well may be...

But I'm going to do it the way I know it should be done, the way I have read it should be done (from good books, not the interweb). I'm off to get myself a degree wheel, I already have the indicators.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easiest way:

Use a low tension checker spring in place of a valve spring. finger tighten the rocker just enough so that it removes all the play. Take your measurements from 10* BTDC to 10* ATDC in 2* increments using a dial indicator on a stand.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Easiest way:

Use a low tension checker spring in place of a valve spring. finger tighten the rocker just enough so that it removes all the play. Take your measurements from 10* BTDC to 10* ATDC in 2* increments using a dial indicator on a stand.
+1 To that! A little less work in my book than Play-Doh just gotta have the right tools and know-how.