11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

After MS3 now what Dynotune or Gears..help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default After MS3 now what? Dynotune or Gears..help me decide

I posted awhile back about some issues with my MS3 (which i knew would be there before i bought the cam). I'm torn right now between getting a TSP gear package or getting a full DynoTune at either Harris Speed or a local shop in North DE. I have the money for one or the other but not both. Probably going to go with a 3.73 when/if i do gears, maybe 4.10s but its still the stock 10bolt.

I am currently running around on a TSP Mail tune which is im sure pretty close but still some things i would like smoothed out. Issues im having are bucking at low RPM, hot engine start idle hunt, mpg is WAY DOWN, running very rich at idle, plus would like to make sure it can handle the 100 dry shot.

Talking to Matt at Harris Speed he said that the bucking and hunt are things that he can improve but not completely make go away due to the nature of the MS3, so thats whats got me torn...new gears or tune. x 100. What do you guys think?

Last edited by SupermanSS; 06-22-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Launching!

nitrous kit and more tuning i think you would be happier going that route. putting gears in the car will just make the rear end want to break that much faster.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:24 PM
FormerVendor

Default tune

no question, get it tuned
Old 06-22-2007, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Yeah my buddy who is a ASE mech at one of the stealerships around here says do gears BUT that wont fix the driveability issues...arrgghh
Old 06-22-2007, 02:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definetly get a tune. That would be the smarter route.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I say dyno tune cause to get the drivability better and all out perfomance. Then the gears.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Forgot to also add, there is a whine in the rear not real bad. My friend thinks its either the axle bearings or the gears themselves.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:10 PM
11 Second Club

Get it Tuned, there is no other option until it is running right. Do you want to risk breaking anything in the engine?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sigforty
Get it Tuned, there is no other option until it is running right. Do you want to risk breaking anything in the engine?
Thats a big no on the engine breaking part. As I said it does have a TSP Mail tune but i'm sensing much hate on the mail tunes. I am waiting to here back from Matt at Harris about setting an appointment.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:35 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

No need to hate on the mail order tunes. Your car is running, right? It was a temporary measure-(the mail order tune). Not to play with semantics but, "DynoTune" implies WOT only tuning, at least to me. This will not address your drivability problems. In order to nail down the issues you are talking about you need an experienced outfit with realtime tools to fix it. An outfit that is willing to do street work as well as track/dyno work would be a well rounded deal. Now, trying to find that outfit is going to be a chore as most will just want to get you in and out and forget about it. Good luck, I have been following your threads/progress from afar.
I can sense the tension in your impending financial decision...First things first, you are not happy with the car as it is...why throw more parts at it?
Get it tuned.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 06-23-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

get a tune, stay on street tires to save your rear, then save for a 12 bolt.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Doc
No need to hate on the mail order tunes. Your car is running, right? It was a temporary measure-(the mail order tune). Not to play with semantics but, "DynoTune" implies WOT only tuning, at least to me. This will not address your drivability problems. In order to nail down the issues you are talking about you need an experienced outfit with realtime tools to fix it. An outfit that is willing to do street work as well as track/dyno work would be a well rounded deal. Now, trying to find that outfit is going to be a chore as most will just want to get you in and out and forget about it. Good luck, I have been following your threads/progress from afar.
I can sense the tension in your impending financial decision...First things first, you are not happy with the car as it is...why throw more parts at it?
Get it tuned.

Thanks for the advice, I was researching Street tunes last night and I really dont know of anyone around my area that does them. Your right about the parts, I'm going to go with the Tune just have to decide who is right for me to do it. I think I am going to go with Harris. My buddy i was talking about is throwing a LS1 into his 88 Cutlass so he wants to go halves on HP Tuners, so maybe if i have the equipment I can later on entice someone local to come fine tune it for me on the street.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gears would get rid of your bucking problem at low speeds and I'd do gears first that way when you do get it dynoed they can change the gear ratio in the programing. Id send the CPU back with a list of the problems you experanced shipped with it.