Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mobil 1

hey guys i have ran mobil 1 5w30 full syn since my car was new and i recently switched to mobil 1 0w40 since i heard that the 5w30 thins out to quickly but i have heard that some of you are running mobil 1 5w40 and i have looked for it around here in minnesota and i can not find anywhere that stocks the 5w40 only the 0w40? does anyone know where i can get mobil 1 5w40?
Old 07-05-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man i suggest royal purple
Old 07-06-2007, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

i know royal purple is good oil too but ive ran mobil 1 since it was new so im gonna stick with it
Old 07-06-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hear the mobil 1 oil is too damn thin.. go with castrol syntec 5w-40!! really happy with it in my car..
Old 07-06-2007, 01:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
i know royal purple is good oil too but ive ran mobil 1 since it was new so im gonna stick with it
What's that got to do with anything? That's like saying "I've always slammed my ***** in the door, so I'm gonna keep doing it." LOL!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the 0w40 is better stuff than the 5w30 IMO. Look for Turbo Diesel 5w40.

LS1rulz, that **** was hysterical.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
the 0w40 is better stuff than the 5w30 IMO. Look for Turbo Diesel 5w40.

LS1rulz, that **** was hysterical.
i think thats the general consensus on the forum i think about mobil 1 5w30 that it thins out to quickly thats why i switched to 0w40. i guess ill just have to keep my eyes open for the 5w40, or is even worth going from a 0w40 to a 5w40?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

Sorta on topic....

Royal Purple is an okay synthetic in my eyes. Doesn't shear well under hot conditions though. At least from the analysis I have seen on it.
Mobil 1 isn't worth the asking price since they switched to a basestock III. Still a fine oil, but not $6 a quart good.

Currently in my car is VP 5w-30. They changed their stuff, so I am going to be running Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 once I change.
Platinum is also a basestock III, but much more reasonable at $4 a quart from Wal-Mart.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
Sorta on topic....

Royal Purple is an okay synthetic in my eyes. Doesn't shear well under hot conditions though. At least from the analysis I have seen on it.
Mobil 1 isn't worth the asking price since they switched to a basestock III. Still a fine oil, but not $6 a quart good.

Currently in my car is VP 5w-30. They changed their stuff, so I am going to be running Pennzoil Platinum 10w-30 once I change.
Platinum is also a basestock III, but much more reasonable at $4 a quart from Wal-Mart.

what is basestock III?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

what is basestock III?
I don't really know the in-depth stuff when it comes to oil. I am sure there are several here that do though.
I do follow others analysis though to see what oils are working well for the LSx.

Quick search (google) got me this.
There are five specific categories of base oils. These categories define the type of base stock the oil is formulated from. The categories are as follows. Note that the base oil group category is followed by the manufacturing method (in bold print) and then a description of the oil characteristics for each category.

Group I - Solvent Freezing: Group 1 base oils are the least refined of all the groups. They are usually a mix of different hydrocarbon chains with little or no uniformity. While some automotive oils on the market use Group I stocks, they are generally used in less demanding applications.

Group II - Hydro processing and Refining: Group II base oils are common in mineral based motor oils currently available on the market. They have fair to good performance in lubricating properties such as volatility, oxidative stability and flash/fire points. They have only fair performance in areas such as pour point, cold crank viscosity and extreme pressure wear.

Group – III Hydro processing and Refining: Group III base oils are subjected to the highest level of mineral oil refining of the base oil groups. Although they are not chemically engineered, they offer good performance in a wide range of attributes as well as good molecular uniformity and stability. They are commonly mixed with additives and marketed as synthetic or semi-synthetic products. Group III base oils have become more common in America in the last decade.

Group IV -Chemical Reactions: Group IV base oils are chemically engineered synthetic base stocks. Polyalphaolefins (PAO's) are a common example of a synthetic base stock. Synthetics, when combined with additives, offer excellent performance over a wide range of lubricating properties. They have very stable chemical compositions and highly uniform molecular chains. Group IV base oils are becoming more common in synthetic and synthetic-blend products for automotive and industrial applications.

Group V - As Indicated: Group V base oils are used primarily in the creation of oil additives. Esters and polyolesters are both common Group V base oils used in the formulation of oil additives. Group V oils are generally not used as base oils themselves, but add beneficial properties to other base oils.

Note that the additives referred to in the Group V description are not aftermarket type oil additives. The additives referred to are used in the chemical engineering and blending of motor oils and other lubricating oils by the specific oil company that produces the finished product.
http://www.performanceoiltechnology....categories.htm
Old 07-06-2007, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

The Platinum was WAY too thin for my car. Made it noisy and honestly I'll never run it again in a high performance application.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Banned

Well one things for sure , Royal Purple is ALL hype & not worth the price & head aches it WILL cause when your engine starts leaking oil from oil pan~valve covers~& rear main . Stay with the proven oils like GC ~ Mobil One ~ General Motors Synthetic .
Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
Well one things for sure , Royal Purple is ALL hype & not worth the price & head aches it WILL cause when your engine starts leaking oil from oil pan~valve covers~& rear main . Stay with the proven oils like GC ~ Mobil One ~ General Motors Synthetic .
man have u ever ran royal purple and i havent ever heard anything bout it causing head aches and i changed my tranny fluid and rearend fluid and it might sound crazy but i noticed a difference by using it i suggest everyone to try it and if u do try it i know u will love it. and they even tested it on horsepower tv and from the dyno there was a 8 rwhp gain by switching the motor,tranny,and rearend to royal purple sounds crazy but its good stuff.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

I hope that's a joke. That just sounds like their advertising dollars paid off. Money well spent.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hey guys i have ran mobil 1 5w30 full syn since my car was new and i recently switched to mobil 1 0w40 since i heard that the 5w30 thins out to quickly but i have heard that some of you are running mobil 1 5w40 and i have looked for it around here in minnesota and i can not find anywhere that stocks the 5w40 only the 0w40? does anyone know where i can get mobil 1 5w40?

Visit the BITOG (Bob is the oil guy) web site. You will find everything you want to know about oil. Used oil analysis is the only way to clarify a "proven" oil & there are plenty of UOA's to view, from several different oils.

In regards to Royal Purple, I'd take a good look @ UOA's from those who have tried their changed formula before switching.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

I will never run Royal Purpal in anything again. Always ran mobile1 then switched to RP and everytime i start my truck(05 chevy 4.8) it would smoke for the first couple of seconds. Same thing happened in a friends 2000 C5 . I switched back to moble1 and never had the problem again.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1rulz
I hope that's a joke. That just sounds like their advertising dollars paid off. Money well spent.
dunno just what the dyno sheet said