Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overheating problem...

Car randomly begins to start climbing passed it's normal operating temperature on a drive on a highway about 30 miles South of me. Never gets to crazy and always settles down.

I get to destination and begin hauling locally to a studio. Temps begin to rise and don't stop. I quickly turn car off before it hits red. I wait about 30-40 minutes and turn car back on. Car stays in normal operating temp and never climbs. Weird huh?

Begin my drive back North. Stays normal until I get on the onramp. Temp begins to rise. Pullover and wait. Do this about 2 more times... last time the car is fine and drives home about 15 miles with no issue?

I drive the car locally and it gets to normal operating temp and no issue.

So I add coolant and then I change Radiator Cap. I turn car on to get to operating temp and start to drive it. Starts overheating. Luckily I was only cruising around my block. What gives?

Think there could be air in my system? But how would that get there all of a sudden? The coolant was pretty low. Not crazy low but it was definitely low. Fans do turn on btw.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisUlrich
Car randomly begins to start climbing passed it's normal operating temperature on a drive on a highway about 30 miles South of me. Never gets to crazy and always settles down.

I get to destination and begin hauling locally to a studio. Temps begin to rise and don't stop. I quickly turn car off before it hits red. I wait about 30-40 minutes and turn car back on. Car stays in normal operating temp and never climbs. Weird huh?

Begin my drive back North. Stays normal until I get on the onramp. Temp begins to rise. Pullover and wait. Do this about 2 more times... last time the car is fine and drives home about 15 miles with no issue?

I drive the car locally and it gets to normal operating temp and no issue.

So I add coolant and then I change Radiator Cap. I turn car on to get to operating temp and start to drive it. Starts overheating. Luckily I was only cruising around my block. What gives?

Think there could be air in my system? But how would that get there all of a sudden? The coolant was pretty low. Not crazy low but it was definitely low. Fans do turn on btw.
Anyone? Please!
Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

My car began to overheat the other day while driving. But the needle would drop back to normal when i would stop. I noticed i had low coolant, so i added coolant, and changed my radiator cap as well. I let it warm up completely, then drove it around the block, and everything seemed fine. I would say check your thermostat, maybe gunk as built up on it and its not allowing it to close.
-Joel
Old 09-17-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
My car began to overheat the other day while driving. But the needle would drop back to normal when i would stop. I noticed i had low coolant, so i added coolant, and changed my radiator cap as well. I let it warm up completely, then drove it around the block, and everything seemed fine. I would say check your thermostat, maybe gunk as built up on it and its not allowing it to close.
-Joel
Yea i'll check that out...

I just drove it about 1 mile and it did it again.

I let it sit for 30 minutes. Drove it back home and it started all over again. So I turned it off and cruised @ 35mph or so for a good 1/2 mile. Turned it back on... because now i'm at a light. Car goes back up again. So I gain some speed and turn it back off. Turn it back on at another light and the car goes back to normal!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Also make sure that the front of the radiator doesn't have crap covering it. When i took it out to do my cam, i pulled out a bunch of leaves and just small bits of garbage. It wasn't enough to cause it to overheat, but a good amoutn of build up can easily cause a problem. Tonight im going to drive it around a bit more than i did on friday when i added coolant and a new radiator cap. Hopefully all the problems are gone, good luck.
-Joel
Old 09-18-2007, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

electric fans workin??? cut your a/c on and see if they kick on. the fans should come on as soon as you turn on the air. i had a relay die which caused my car to run hot in traffic.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

nevermind my comment... i see now where you posted that the fans do come on. ha ha sorry.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Ok I changed the themrostat and refilled it with coolant. The car DID NOT overheat at idle. I let it sit there for about... 10-15 minutes? Car never went passed 210. I pulled away about 15 feet. Stopped because I wanted to close and put away a few things. I hear fans kick and when I get back to the car (About 25 seconds later) damn near by the red already!!

What gives?!