Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced plugs, replaced PCV with breather, and still burning oil. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced plugs, replaced PCV with breather, and still burning oil. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand why the car is still burning oil. The motor is brand new, has 500 miles on it, and was running great (besides some electrical gremlins in the beginning, and some clutch issues). I got the car tuned and it made 399rwhp on a mustang dyno before the clutch gave up. As soon as I get it home from getting tuned, the car won't run right. At first it was the map sensor, I pulled the intake manifold off, and replaced it, sealing it with RTV and using zip-ties to hold it into place. When I took off the manifold, I noticed that the intake ports looked like there had been a little oil getting into them, and the intake manifold gaskets were all nasty with black oil. I suspected the PCV, so I removed it and replaced it with a breather setup, replaced the intake manifold gaskets, and cleaned up as much of the oil as I could from the intake manifold (there was some caked on the runners). So I replace the plugs and go to start the car, and it starts up and idles just fine, but it's still smoking out of the driver's side. The smoke is a blue-gray and it smokes more when i gave the car some throttle (2000rpms or so). So I shut the car off, and take out the plugs and they're black with carbon. So I clean the plugs off really well, thinking that it was just some leftover oil in the runners or the cylinders, and I reinstall them, start the car up, and smoke again. It seems like the car is having a hard time idling, but it keeps the idle strong. I'm thinking it could be the oil rings, but as I said, the motor is brand new and was broken in correctly, and made quite a bit of power through an LS1 intake and a slipping clutch, so that doesn't really make sense to me.

Please someone help me out, I've been without my car for more than a year now, and all I want to do is drive it.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the plugs on the one side were black?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine also smoked bad when i bought it. I replaced the valve seals and that fixed it. I would a couple valve springs off and see if the seals are hard, if they are then that's your problem. Mine had 50k and the seals were as hard a a brick.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Where can I buy new seals? I have Patriot duals in the car now.

And all 8 sparkplugs were black.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by baldurann
Where can I buy new seals? I have Patriot duals in the car now.

And all 8 sparkplugs were black.
You can get them at any auto parts store. There are two differant seals, the intake and the exhaust. Get all the exhaust seals even for the intakes because the exhaust seals are made for more heat.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:15 AM
12 Second Club

Ok, thanks a bunch. Hope that's part of my problem!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also install a catch can. As it sounds like you are gettign a fair amount of blow by. One quick way to check is to remove the throttle body, wrap a clean paper towel around a handle of something and rub it around the inside of the intake. If you have blow by, then the paper towel should pick up some oil pretty easy.

Keith
Old 10-11-2007, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

But I don't have any PCV. I have a hose that connect both valvecovers, and I have a breather. The PCV doesn't connect to the TB or the Intake Manifold anymore. Going to rent a code scanner tomorrow, hope I can figure this **** out...
Old 10-12-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id also suggest the valve seals before looking at the rings again.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Id also suggest the valve seals before looking at the rings again.
Yeah, I'd be pretty upset if it were the rings, and I'd probably end up selling the car. The motor has a 12mo 12k miles warrantee on it, but it just made 399rwhp on a mustang... so it's just hard for me to believe that the oil rings went bad JUST after it was tuned.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

you can still make plenty of power on rings that are letting oil through. These are also low tension rings, and are susceptible to ring flutter at high rpm / low load.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

I'd strongly recommend that you go back to the PCV system instead of passive breathers. Install a catch can if you think it's pulling oil through the crankcase ventilation system.

Vents just give you atmospheric pressure at best, whereas vacuum-fed PCV creates negative pressure...and it helps keep the rings seated. Even hard-core racers run positive ventilation, they just get it via the header collectors and a venturi tube.

500 miles isn't much of a break-in either, I'd give it a good 2000-3000 miles before I consider it fully broken in.

Think about putting the PCV system back in, putting another 1500 miles on it, and then going after the valvestem seals if it's still getting oiled.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

Fixed my problem, the car wasn't burning oil, it was fouling plugs due to the PCM dumping fuel because my Engine Sensor fuse was blown. Replaced that (and the plugs / wires) and the car runs great now! (Except for the stock clutch... lol but that's another story.)