Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car stumblind / missfiring and oil in the intake manifold...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stumblind / missfiring and oil in the intake manifold...

Hey guys, the other day my car started stumbling really bad and misfiring. It's making the car undrivable (also due to the t-rex in it lol). I was wondering if it could be due to a bad PCV system... there was a lot of oil on the intake manifold when I took it off to replace the MAP sensor. The car would hold a strong idle (after I found a fat vacuum leak), but you could definately tell it was misfiring more than normal, and it drives like complete ***(One 1/2 mile trip around the block was enough for me.) I'm starting to think that it's the pcv... I'm going to go to a breather setup on Friday, hopefully that will help.

Thanks for any input!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

that could be the problem. pull a few plugs and see if any of them is fouled with oil.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im pointing at the PCV system. Check the PCV hose that goes to the intake. if theres oil in it, then you've found your culprit
Old 10-03-2007, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah... there were a few drips of oil where I laid the PCV hose. Guess it's time for a breather setup... Anyone know where I can find a breather that fits onto the driver's side valvecover, in the back where the PCV hose used to connect to?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

Have you tried running a catch can?.....LS engines are known for sucking oil into the intake through the PCV
Old 10-04-2007, 02:14 PM
10 Second Club

I deleted my PCV and installed breathers on both valve covers and I still get a ton of oil in the intake ports.

I know several other people locally that have the same problem. I don't know where it is coming from. Wish I had an answer for you.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:27 AM
12 Second Club

It's funny, because my intake ports are SUPER clean. (The motor has 500-600 miles on it...) I am just trying to figure out why it's dumping so much that it's causing the engine to misfire so badly.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Banned

There are a couple ways for the oil to get in. There is a line from the valve cover directly to the TB. Then there is the pcv system. The car build pressure and it needs to release it. The EPA said no more releasing it to the atmosphere so GM makes the car eat it. That pressure/air has atomized oil in it.

I followed a setup by see5 on here and havent had issue since. Blocked off the valve cover vent to TB and got rid of my pcv system. I have a large diameter hose going from the oil cap to a catch can that is vented. Blocked off all intake vacuum lines as well, now that it is not doing it's job.

The line from valve cover to Tb will put oil on your TB blade and get sucked in. The line from pcv to intake will suck oil directly into the intake.

Doing what I did fixed my oil consumption, which was directly being sucked/pushed into the intake.

I also moddified his design a little and eliminated the vacuum hose to the intake. With the catch can being vented it was introducing un-metered air into the system.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 10-05-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

What is his setup? You have any instructions on how to do it? I'm willing to try anything to get this damned car to run right for more than 30 minutes...
Old 10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Banned

I ran a -12 or 3/4 inch line from the oil cap to a catch can and vented it to atmosphere. He did the same but included a line to intake which creates un-meterd air so I eliminated it.

Got rid of EGR and secondary air system. Capped off driver side valve cover when removing egr. Capped off valley pan tube as well. Only have one vent and thats the big line from the oil cap to vented catch can. The large diameter line should allow for just the pressure to escape and leave the heavier oil behind. SO far I havent had oil in my catch can only condensation.

Cant suck oil if you dont give it a chance.

heres my setup
Old 10-05-2007, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks. I think I may just go with a breather setup... seems a bit easier to do. :-P
Old 10-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Banned

Could be a mess as well. I didnt want it vented right there. The gases get a chance to cool by the time they get to my can and then are trapped in the can before venting, steaming right there on the valve cover will produce sludge over time just as the old valve cover vents used to do. I had no interest in that mess on my clean engine
Old 10-13-2007, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Fixed my problem. Turned out to be a blown Engine Sensor fuse, causing the pcm to dump fuel.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PewterZ28
I deleted my PCV and installed breathers on both valve covers and I still get a ton of oil in the intake ports.

I know several other people locally that have the same problem. I don't know where it is coming from. Wish I had an answer for you.
Try LS6 valley conversion and a catch can...that has worked for a friend of mine really well.

http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...vid=3&pcid=316

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&sid=776#P5920