Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated head and cam project gone wrong!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updated head and cam project gone wrong!

Ok so i have like 100 post about this whole topic but here it is again.

I bought a set of ls6 2.5 heads and a trqerv3 cam from texas speed. I was really worried about piston to valve clearance so i made it a point to talk to jason to make sure what he was sending me would work. He gave me the yes . He said he wouldnt send it out if it didnt.

So the time came New heads , cam , pushrods, lifters , timing chain, and a tune from the man himself patrick G.
Took about day and half to do got everything back together fired it up and wow purred like a kitten. ( mean kitten) but anyway i was moping home with it at around maybe 50 mph keeping and eye on everything ......When my tach and mph when out on the dash and codes started flashing . And i slight tapping sound from the motor . So i freaked pulled over turned off and ran codes mass air flow range map range camshaft positioning sensor. Not sure what happen to mph and tach just stop working. We'll i was feed up called a tow truck and had the pros look at it they torn it town and sure enough #4 was hittnig and 6 barley touched. Called jason he said should have been fine asked about dot to dot on cam or loose rockers. Nothing was found wrong on my part . Sent the heads back he recessed them and they are suppose to have it back together Wendsday.
Now i have a labor bill of about 2100 dollars why you ask so high well since i was told that everything should work and was good i had them put it back together with a sset of stock gaskets instead of the cosmetic ( or how ever its spelled for you smart *** on here) that where only .040 . But guess what still hit so the torn it down and i sent the heads back to jason to be reworked. I hoping he picks up some of this cost of labor since he assured me it wasnt going to hit in first place . who knows oh and a rental car for 4 weeks a 3 days now is just over 1012 dollars. The old lady threaten to kill me. lol Just miss my car and my old lady for that matter havent been staying at home for awhile!!!!! **** with money you get the boot. lol So hopeful i will be drivn the old girl next week.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks but really it only boils down to you being at fault. When modify a car to these calibers it is at nest interest to safely check everything. In this case PTV, that really sucks that he reassured it to you though. These guys should know what to exactly reccommned and he should have stated that 'it should be fine with PTV but you better check to make sure'. Good luck and hope you have both your girls back soon. I doubt TSP will pick up any of the bill though little alone cost of fixing the head and shipping.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

damn bro that sux... i kinda feel your pain... my motor is shot and have Ryne at CMS rebuilding it for me... and he did a cam, lifters, timing chain, springs etc... as well... Once the engine is rebuilt with forged parts I should be getting it back Dec-Januaryish...

I miss my baby as well... in the meantime i'm driving my dads (may he RIP) old mustang to get from A to B.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Websy21
That sucks but really it only boils down to you being at fault. When modify a car to these calibers it is at nest interest to safely check everything. In this case PTV, that really sucks that he reassured it to you though. These guys should know what to exactly reccommned and he should have stated that 'it should be fine with PTV but you better check to make sure'. Good luck and hope you have both your girls back soon. I doubt TSP will pick up any of the bill though little alone cost of fixing the head and shipping.
if they had C.S. like AFR does it wouldn't be an issue...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...valve+tip+wear
Old 11-17-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

Default Yeah

I will get one of my girls back but not sure it gonna be the right one. Its funny how something so off the beatn path like a car or bad car parts that started this fight to where it has ended up now. I am really hopin Jason does help alittle . I mean someone with a rep like that seems like he should feel alittle responsable. I am not gonna knock because he has been cool to me and even after the old lady thought she would call and give her 2 cents he still was pretty cool. I dont know just bummed out eather way. Its amazing to me how you take things for granted until you lose them and then you feel like suck a ******* dumbass. ........Anyway this is a car forum not a depression chatroom. Thanks guys.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
if they had C.S. like AFR does it wouldn't be an issue...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...valve+tip+wear
That was a defective part of the head causing a failure. This thread is about a defective car owner. I've had great service through TSP. If TSP said it would or should clear, and the OP still did not check PTV clearance, then its on him, not TSP. It's one thing if you don't check clearance on just a cam swap, but not doing so on a H/C swap!? He gambled and lost. Jrp1978 needs to step up and admit fault rather than blame it on someone else...
Old 11-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sticky situation. The end user is always responsible for checking clearances. But you would think if you were told it was fine then its partialy TSP's fault. Tough call here. If I call a vendor and ask a specific question and and then it trus out I'm given wrong info and it cost me the 3k thhis guy is spending I'm going to be pissed about it. What about valve springs? Something went wrong here and it isnt always the end user at fault. TO say he gambled isnt accurate. He did what he thought was best and called TSP. I say there is blame on both sides. DidTSP tell him to check ptv or did they say it will be fine no need to check. Thats the real question. IF they told him to check it to be safe and he didnt then ok. But if he was told flat out no issue dont bother checking then they misled him and are partly responsible. What has TSP said about it? have you spoken with Jason and asked him to help you?
Old 11-17-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mod Hell
Old 11-17-2007, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

I just bought the prc 5.3L stg 2.5 and a MS3 and some stock MLS head gaskets I hope my **** works. I will be sure to rotate my motor first for I stick it back together.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, TSP is not at fault here. Jason offered his opinion that it would be fine. Every car is different, what should work on some is different on others. Your mechanic should have checked the P/V clearance instead of slapping the car together. Always check the critical clearances yourself. In this case, whoever is performing the install is responsible for the damaged parts. TSP should not cover your mechanic bill. If TSP performed the install, then they would cover the damage.

Last edited by TVWilkes; 11-17-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by donalr76
I just bought the prc 5.3L stg 2.5 and a MS3 and some stock MLS head gaskets I hope my **** works. I will be sure to rotate my motor first for I stick it back together.
Just because it rotates doesn't mean you have enough clearance. I really think the vendors should give clearance numbers with stock heads/gaskets. At least that would provide the buyers a baseline.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Default Ok

No Jason hasnt said anything about helping out yet? As far as me checking was the thing i called Jason and i said " Jason I want ls6 heads 2.5 and the v3 camshaft. Is there gonna be any issues with ptv at all. His response " no sir i wont send it out if there would be a problem. OK so my worries about the ptv was gone i mean this guy is a head and cam guru so i never second guessed him . I just got the heads back and he reccesed the vavles all of them about .015 to .020 and told me to put it back together with the .052 gaskets. I mean he spend 90 percent of his day tuning and machining prc is texas speed they are one in the same. I think but some weird luck of the drawl i got a set of heads that were alittle off or the cam is a little off . The intake side of the cam was right on ***** but the exh side of it was .609 and it was suppose to be .598 . I am not asking him to pick up the whole tab here i mean 1500 would be nice or hell refund me the set of heads and call it even . He is out what maybe 600 dollars. I dont know I hate even asking him to help i feel like suck a schmuck. But if he dont help i can t get my ******* car back its just gotta set there . Not to mention the parts here 2 set of gaskts and this is the third bold set
Old 11-17-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Default what the hell

I am not stepping up s**t . He is the one the setup the cam head deal down to gaskets and bolts. I am not a ******* fault . I was told put it together and enjoy so that is what the f**k i did. I am not blaming no one . But if the f*****g shoe was on the other foot here i bet you be singing a different tune.

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 11-19-2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: language
Old 11-17-2007, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was the cam degreed when you put it in?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

No telling me to check was never brought up! If it was yes i would of i am not a back yard mechanic.............sure i cant ******* spell , but i do my homework on everything . My whole point in asking him if there would be a problem was to avoid doing so. And since he built and ports and makes this **** . I am assuming his opinioin would be more like fact. The man is a hell of a mechanic.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

Default No lined up dot to dot first install

But on the second go around yes ! I made sure everything was dead on ***** as did the other # guys standing there looking at it!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you need to talk to him on the phone and not using this forum for public debate about it. Jason and TSP are stand up guys. Give him a chance to look into it.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Banned

that combo should have cleared...
Old 11-17-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree...the correct way to do the job is to check clearances with clay and solid lifter. It sucks when things go wrong to good people, but that's the risk we all take when using a "proven combo" and don't check.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your combo clears just fine. I remember Jason and I discussing this because your wife/girlfriend would call with a different story everyday. She started calling us first, and Jason told her that we'll be happy to inspect the cylinder heads. She calls a few days later and states that the car was put back together with different head gaskets, it runs fine, and we owe you money. Jason is quick to tell her that a difference of .006" will not solve your problem. If you're having clearance issues, .006" will NOT make everything okay. She then changes her story and says that the car is NOT back together, she was just talking about a "what if" situation. Jason tells her that he's still waiting to receive the cylinder heads back. The heads arrive, and Jason immediately checks the valve drop. The larger valves were specifically set deeper to offset the larger diameter. Valve drop measured within .005" of factory clearance! Jason sinks the valves another .020" to now give you better than stock p-to-v clearance. We send the heads back at no cost to you, and now an incompetent installation becomes our fault.

We have built our stage 2.5 heads to run with the Torquer v.3 many times for many customers. We take great care setting up our valve job, valve drop, etc. to avoid clearance issues. Your cylinder heads checked out perfect. Something else occurred to cause your p-to-v clearance issues. This is one of the many reasons we use a Newen CNC seat & guide machine. It is incredibly accurate to less than .001", so we can replicate every cylinder head without problems. We absolutely will not cover labor costs. We never cover labor costs when we did not provide the labor, much less when your cylinder heads do not have any issues whatsoever. Something else happened that caused the clearance issue. I would expect it to be a camshaft installation error, but I do not expect to ever find out. We do not slap heads together and hope for the best. Every set is machined to strict tolerances. We are always willing to stand behind our product, and we did. We told you to send the heads back for us to check them over. We did so, and we did not charge you a penny for your replacement valves, even though there was nothing wrong with the build of your cylinder heads. We can only control our product's quality control. We cannot control the installation or knowledge of said installer.

We make recommendations on our heads/cam packages because we KNOW what works and what doesn't. We KNOW that this package works because we build it to work and we have built it many times. You can't blame anyone but the installer when the installation is not done correctly.

Trevor
Texas Speed & Performance

Last edited by Trevor @ Texas Speed & Perf.; 11-17-2007 at 03:13 PM.