Sponsored by:

Rebuild or Wait?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuild or Wait?

Ok,

I got to thinking about it. I have a LS1 w/ 100K miles on it. I do plan on spraying a 100 shot and doing heads and cam.

Now,it having those miles,and I will most likley give it some hell,I don't want to end up wiping the thing out.

So...should I since the engine is out of the car throw a set or rod and main bearing,rod bolts,oil pump,and do a quick hone on the cylinders w/ some hell fire rings? I should be able to do all this myself. I'm not really wanting to take it to a machine shop and such.

Or do I just throw a cam in it (maybe a 228 or 232 lift) and run it.

Because my plans are to build a 370 Iron blck w/ pistons and rods,and heads w/ cam,then boost it.(but i'd like the LS1 to last me til I can do this)

In the time being,if i rebuild this engine,I'd like to do a nice cam w/ maybe some 5.3's,or LS6 heads...try to make 410+ RWHP

Thanks Guys,
Joe
Old 01-02-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not jsut be smart and hold off on everything and put all of that money towards the new 370. Thats allot of money that will add up quick, especially if you rebuild it. Save up and build a monster 370 and boost it when you can so it will be able to handle it when you do. Even in the mean time you could throw some laughing gas at it. Keep the CR at 10:1 or lower for when it see's the boost.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Restricted User

I say, since the motor's out swap those rods, pistons, rodbolts, bearings, and bore a little.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah but it will be about a year or 2 before i do the other route
Old 01-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

If I could do all the work myself, I'd go for the rebuild. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I figured w/ rod/main bearings,timing chain,oil pump,rings,gaskets/bolts etc

I could probably get it done for around $650,and that will be a pretty fresh engine,and then I can throw a nice size cam and heads on it,w/ a shot of the juice and have fun for awhile til I build a iron block
Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro52R
Well I figured w/ rod/main bearings,timing chain,oil pump,rings,gaskets/bolts etc

I could probably get it done for around $650,and that will be a pretty fresh engine,and then I can throw a nice size cam and heads on it,w/ a shot of the juice and have fun for awhile til I build a iron block
Sounds like the way to go for a couple more years till you can get the serious build done, FWIW I did something similiar on a 302 Ford about 20 years ago and the crank was slightly out of round and it knocked like hell w/ the new bearings (quiet as a mouse before, just low oil pressure). Coulda prolly gotten away with it for a while if I hadn't changed the bearings but i just didn't know, Thought the new bearings would help my low oil pressure. Live and learn and ended up gettin a new a new shortblok).

Moral of the story: if oil pressure is ok, leave the main bearings alone. O.K. OP can last a long time on an otherwise good motor.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well...after doing some searching,it seems that alot/few/many etc have 100K miles on there engines and still do bolt-ons etc. The engine has been taken care of before i got it.

Maybe I'll just do my bolt-ons,oil pump,and maybe a small cam and then start saving,til I have enough for a nice shortblock.

Thats money I could just put away now. I figure I'll have $2-3k in a year(if I don't buy other ****,lol) Besides I barley put 10K miles on a car in a year,plus having a daily driver,etc
Old 01-02-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

do a compression check before buying anything. You may see that you need to wait and buy the 370 or may be able to go ahead and do the H/C.
Old 01-02-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could add up to 3k in a hurry and allot more. You said 650 for the rebuild well there's always added expenses, so say 800. Heads 1200 and cam/install 500. A tune add another 500 plus a nitrous kit another 500. Hey were at 3k fast, there's your new shortblock, lol Thats not counting a new ported oil pump and double roller chain and the extra little crap you want. What about an intake and t/b? It adds up fast. Bite your lip and save up for the 370. If you want the best bang for the buck i the mean time spray a 100 shot at the track and should last you if it isn't living on the stuff.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wasn't goin to do any head work,and the cam,I was goin to wait on that.

I figured I'd just refresh it and do the bolt ons,and a stall,and that'll be it til around summer time,then I'd do the cam,etc

Or like you said,if I am just doing bolts ons,and maybe a 100shot here and there I shouldn't have any issues I presume?

And its not like I drive everyday and it'll get maybe 50miles a week on it.

So should I not even worry,just throw and better oil pump on it,headers,lid,ls6 intake,stall and 100 shot and should hold up fine? For the time being. Like I said I won't be feeding it spray every day. just here or there.Maybe a small cam.

I don't even know why I am so worried,I've got 193k miles on my dakota and give it hell. But then again its still stock.

As far as building a 370,if i shop around and find all the deals I figured $3k for that.