Sponsored by:

Sucky Day!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sucky Day!!!

UPDATED!!!

Just finished putting in my new cam and heads on my 02 WS6 last night, been working on it with a friend for the past 3 days. We were so releived when we finally got her all back together....cranked her up ran her through the heat cycles...when on the second cycle we noticed it started to make a ticking sound that keep getting louder....shut her down let her set for a bit cranked her back up and no ticking sounds! We removed the valve cover to check the rockers....thinking one of them came loose, but all of the were still good. So we thought maybe some trash got into one of the lifters. Anyways drove down the road and had the exhaust welded back up and head on to work in her....we'll about five minutes into the drive around 60 mph...that DAMN TICKING sound came back.So it looks like I will be ordering new lifters for her. Sucks, cause now I have to tear the motor down to put new lifters in her! My mistake....should of done that from the get go! And it's weird sitting there just idealing no ticking,or it might be that I just can't hear it, but put her in gear and start going down the road....and DAMN TICKING!

Last edited by little Red Camaro; 03-09-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After all that work bro, sorry to hear about the issue. You'll get her right though. Good luck.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change the oil a few times before you go ripping into her. It may work itself out.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Change the oil a few times before you go ripping into her. It may work itself out.
Yea....I was told that also by another friend....it's just weird, just got back from driving the car and no taping sound. Parked the car ran the RPM's up to 2000 and it started taping noise again.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

try STP oil stabiliser aka motor honey
Old 03-04-2008, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by little Red Camaro
Just finished putting in my new cam and heads on my 02 WS6 last night, been working on it with a friend for the past 3 days. We were so releived when we finally got her all back together....cranked her up ran her through the heat cycles...when on the second cycle we noticed it started to make a ticking sound that keep getting louder....shut her down let her set for a bit cranked her back up and no ticking sounds! We removed the valve cover to check the rockers....thinking one of them came loose, but all of the were still good. So we thought maybe some trash got into one of the lifters. Anyways drove down the road and had the exhaust welded back up and head on to work in her....we'll about five minutes into the drive around 60 mph...that DAMN TICKING sound came back.So it looks like I will be ordering new lifters for her. Sucks, cause now I have to tear the motor down to put new lifters in her! My mistake....should of done that from the get go! And it's weird sitting there just idealing no ticking,or it might be that I just can't hear it, but put her in gear and start going down the road....and DAMN TICKING!

Yeah, stuff happens. But you can get a bad lifter, even in a new set.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

could be push rods not the right length. Also did you happen to change the oil pump or remove it. The oil pump O-ring could be pinched.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:04 PM
10 Second Club

Run a pint of marvel mystery oil in it for a few miles, then change the oil.
If you have to change the lifters, get new LS2 lifter trays, its worth the extra $20
Old 03-04-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldnt rush to judgement on a collapsed lifter. Look everything over first.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

That sucks makes me definitly want to change mine while i'm in there. how many miles are on yours?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigchuck34
That sucks makes me definitly want to change mine while i'm in there. how many miles are on yours?
If you are at that point...spend the $107 for a new set of LS7 lifters from Scoggin Dickey....they had the best price. I was in a hurry to get my car camed I forgot to consider the lifters needing replacing. Mine looked real good when I pulled them out and put them soaking in a bucket of oil. But I have 100,000 miles on mine.

I am going to look everything over first, cause really don't want to tear it all down again. Ron at Vengenance mentioned header gasket leak can make the same sound.

And yes oil pump was replaced with a new LS2, and the push rods should be right size....sence they all came from Vengenance as a package deal.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

damn bro, that sucks we just finished putting my engine back together last night and damn I would hate to take it apart again. Mine has sort of exhaust leak in the td's at idle thats making me crazy. i thought it was something bad but its coming from the exhaust. I did replace my lifters though with ls7.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to Mod Hell.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

If you are at that point...spend the $107 for a new set of LS7 lifters from Scoggin Dickey....they had the best price. I was in a hurry to get my car camed I forgot to consider the lifters needing replacing. Mine looked real good when I pulled them out and put them soaking in a bucket of oil. But I have 100,000 miles on mine.

I am going to look everything over first, cause really don't want to tear it all down again. Ron at Vengenance mentioned header gasket leak can make the same sound.

And yes oil pump was replaced with a new LS2, and the push rods should be right size....sence they all came from Vengenance as a package deal.

I would check the oil pump o ring first.
Old 03-05-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Welcome to Mod Hell.
Check-In anytime you like....but you can never leave!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:06 PM
10 Second Club

I have talked to Little Red camaro on this I thought about the o-ring on pump but his oil pressure is steady at 40 psi at 850 rpm idle and goes up to 70 psi at higher rpms it is the same lifter acting up each time I am stilling leaning towards a small piece of trash in lifter.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MCBRIZ28
I have talked to Little Red camaro on this I thought about the o-ring on pump but his oil pressure is steady at 40 psi at 850 rpm idle and goes up to 70 psi at higher rpms it is the same lifter acting up each time I am stilling leaning towards a small piece of trash in lifter.
mine was the same it is the O-ring i can almost guarantee it...mine would be fine then in 5 minutes it would tick...then let it cool and it would do it again...

does it sound like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0aQd_IfypU

here is the thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...689&highlight=

and a similar thread...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ng+number+part

sounds exactly like your problem did u use a new o ring or the old one...even though it looks ok you need to replace it everytime...
Old 03-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Launching!

We'll here is the update....put new LS7 lifters in the car this weekend and no more taping sound. Not sure what caused the old ones to fail. Might have been the miles on the old ones plus bigger cam and springs! But after 12 hrs of work she is done and running great.....working on these cars suck!

Thanks everyone for your advise!
Old 03-11-2008, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We'll here is the update....put new LS7 lifters in the car this weekend and no more taping sound. Not sure what caused the old ones to fail. Might have been the miles on the old ones plus bigger cam and springs! But after 12 hrs of work she is done and running great.....working on these cars suck!

Thanks everyone for your advise!
good to hear glad mine was just the o-ring...pulling the heads is so much fun though...