Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

h/c or paint/body work

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default h/c or paint/body work

this is about my 84 ls1 trans am...

car runs great, but the body is not so great, some rust, leaking ttops, missmatched fenders, bad wing etc....i had someone offer to take my stock 86 firebird (305, 5spd) thats in good shape and 1900 to completely do all the body work and paint my car any color i want.
or...

finish my build up on the motor, i have dart heads, headers, fast 90 intake, nw throttle body, and buy f14 cam, ls7 lifters, ls2 timing chain, a tune and a clutch.

i figure to do both would cost about the same, just the paint job would cost me my 86 too. ive also got some z06 wheels to go on if i do the paint job.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough choice. A good paint job and body work is about the right value for the offer, if its by someone who does good work.

On the other hand faster is always better than nice looking if your driving it. If you already have all those parts listed above whats the expense ?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Tough choice. A good paint job and body work is about the right value for the offer, if its by someone who does good work.

On the other hand faster is always better than nice looking if your driving it. If you already have all those parts listed above whats the expense ?
i dont have a cam, lifters, clutch, timing chain, injectors, still need my intake ported, i will need a tune.

the guy doing the paint has a restoration shop, my rear quarter is rusted out, he said he would purchase a new one and weld it in, and take car of all the alignment and body work and paint. i could sell my fast 90, rails and tb, and use that money to have my headers installed, my custom y pipe made, and cutouts, as well as 91-92 tail lights, window tint, my vette rims etc...it would be a VERY nice car w/ and ls1....or i could have a beat up 10 sec 3rd gen with an ls1.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Well, you sig says everythihng is gonna be swapped from the 84' to the 86' anyway, so why even mess with the other stuff if your gonna pull everything out of it?? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Banned

And then you could save money to make it look nice. Tough choice, you hate that.. all show and no go label but rusted rear quaters are hard to live with..LOL

" a cam, lifters, clutch, timing chain, injectors, still need my intake ported, i will need a tune."

That list isnt that expensive.. cam is 370 for a custom ground or 600 for a kit or look for a used one.. lifters are a budget thing, clutch is the most expensive part on your list, timing chain is cheap, injectors 215 new, intake ported 150-400, the tune isnt cheap... 450'ish

with rusted rear quarters and him going to weld in new ones instead of chicken wire and bondo..LOL.. I'd opt for that route if you want to keep the car.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Well, you sig says everythihng is gonna be swapped from the 84' to the 86' anyway, so why even mess with the other stuff if your gonna pull everything out of it?? Doesn't make sense to me.
yea, ive decided against it....ive grown to like the look of the 84 more than the 86...i like the gfx
Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the 84 is your daily driver, I'd say get the body work done. After all it already has a good running LS1 in it... or get the leaks fixed at a minimum, then build the engine.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:29 AM
TECH Resident

My vote is for the engine. Doesn't need to be pretty to go fast. Black primer it.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:21 AM
Banned

^^ I agree but if you rear quarters are flapping in the breeze ... that **** sucks! black primer isnt going to hide rot.. I'm all for a car thats fast before pretty, but rust is rust and theres no room for that **** on a fast car. Dents, primer different colored fenders are ok. The integrity of the vehicle is important and rust is cancer to a car. It wont stop until its removed. You need to address it. No one respects a rusted out **** box no matter how fast it is.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
^^ I agree but if you rear quarters are flapping in the breeze ... that **** sucks! black primer isnt going to hide rot.. I'm all for a car thats fast before pretty, but rust is rust and theres no room for that **** on a fast car. Dents, primer different colored fenders are ok. The integrity of the vehicle is important and rust is cancer to a car. It wont stop until its removed. You need to address it. No one respects a rusted out **** box no matter how fast it is.
the car is pretty quick now, id install my headers if i did the body work to, and hold onto the heads...i could sell the intake and use it to get all the cool stuff i want to go with the paint...i mean it wont be all show and no go....it has an ls1
Old 06-20-2008, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Just swap it all in the 86 then do the motor work.....
Old 06-20-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

no point of having a car built up if your foot will go through the floor board when you punch it, right? Get the body work first, you won't regret it. With the LS1, you have plenty of power as is. Bring 'er back to life in the looks department, then go for engine build up after. Just my opinion. Good luck either way.