Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head/Cam swap tomorrow....WISH ME LUCK!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Head/Cam swap tomorrow....WISH ME LUCK!!!

Yep.....the time has finally came. I had a bent valve on my head and now it just got worse. So now im taking it to the shop tomorrow to tackle it all by myself!!! I've been reading LS1howto.com at least a dozen times and praying that everything goes smoothly tomorrow. Im hoping to have it done around Thursday sometime.....im so nervous so everybody wish me luck! thanks
Old 09-07-2008, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dig right in it dude, you'll be alright and glad you did when it's all over.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you decided to go with the g5x4. That's a big cam bro. Hope your tuner can get the drivability to a comfortable level for ya. Great cam, just requires the tune to be dead on or she'll be like a nagging wife, you know complaining all the time. LOL. Good luck on the results bro, that cam should make some serious peak hp if the heads flow well enough.

You are going to need some help getting air in the motor. I don't think that ls6 intake is going to be enough. A 90/90, ported, or the new 92 stuff ported would really help out.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just noticed you are in CALI. Good luck passing all the smog stuff. Good luck !! Post the results asap. I see you in the 440+ rwhp range depending on how your heads and cam work together. Again your intake manifold is going to hold you back too, and true dual would be my last suggestion. I am not an expert just giving an opinon based on reading 1000's of setups. Lets just hope for the best.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RyderTA
Dig right in it dude, you'll be alright and glad you did when it's all over.
thanks bro. yeah i've always kinda nervous doing it because it seems like a big job. Im a lube tech at the chevy dealership and always love working with my hands. So as long i follow directions from ls1howto.com and know i can get help from you guys, i should be good.

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
I see you decided to go with the g5x4. That's a big cam bro. Hope your tuner can get the drivability to a comfortable level for ya. Great cam, just requires the tune to be dead on or she'll be like a nagging wife, you know complaining all the time. LOL. Good luck on the results bro, that cam should make some serious peak hp if the heads flow well enough.

You are going to need some help getting air in the motor. I don't think that ls6 intake is going to be enough. A 90/90, ported, or the new 92 stuff ported would really help out.

yeah i always liked lou's work and the parts he has for our cars. You got some serious numbers!! Trust me, i'm wanting to go with a FAST setup but money's tight and would like to save that extra $1000ish i would spend. I will start saving up though for it. The tuner i take it does really good work as is well know in the area. I got his tune with all my bolt-ons and car runs awesome. If all goes well, im planning to have it dyno-tuned next week by him.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Just noticed you are in CALI. Good luck passing all the smog stuff. Good luck !! Post the results asap. I see you in the 440+ rwhp range depending on how your heads and cam work together. Again your intake manifold is going to hold you back too, and true dual would be my last suggestion. I am not an expert just giving an opinon based on reading 1000's of setups. Lets just hope for the best.
I would be happy if i was in the 440+ rwhp range!! Hope my heads do flow well with the cam. I got a sweet deal on them so couldnt pass them up. I will work on getting that intake manifold setup. Trust me i'm praying for the best and will let everyone know of the results too.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

It will go well, I did minw 2 times and first time was long but second time was a breeze(I'm not a mechanic, just handy with tools).

Dont hesitate to take a lot of pics during the job, because at somepoint, you'll be looking at a big pile of mixed parts

Take your time for the cleaning part because its very important, but really boring. The vaccum trick to suck the water out the heads by the front holes are a very good idea. Getting a nice rotating tools to clean the block/heads/water pump is a good idea. Dont be surprise if the clean takes up to 5 hours!! Worth it...

A helper is a good idea to bolt some parts back in like headers

Follow the steps and double check any doubt like new torque spec for ARP bolts...

Good luck
Old 09-08-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

like johnnystock said, cleaing before you do the install is VERY important. Also if you can get a buddy to help that will def make things go faster. Even if they just bs with you and hand out tools. Dont rush your self and miss any thing small. It really looks alot harder than it is. On a side note if you are not installing new lifters, I would highly suggest doing it so you dont have to latter. Good luck
Old 09-08-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Addict

A couple years ago I did the cam swap following Jmx's instructions and it worked-out perfectly. Now I'm in the middle of a head swap, also using ls1howto, and it's going great even though it is a lot of work.

What works for me is that I forget about the end result and set little goals. Yesterday, my goal was to just get the heads removed. The day before it was to remove the water pump, power steering pump, and get the wires and brackets removed from the back of the heads. Today I hope to get the heads (bolt holes and gasket residue) and engine compartment cleaned up. The next day get the heads installed, etc., etc. I take my time and don't care how long it takes. If you have the luxury of time it makes the install pretty painless. Just stay in the moment and take your time. Don't think ahead.

It's very doable because Jmx holds your hand all the way through, plus if you have a problem or question, you got your buds here at LS1 Tech who love to help out.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

thanks guys! yeah i will be taking my time for sure when tearing it apart and also with the cleaning process.

I guess what helps out is that im in the shop with a bunch of techs to help out, i have the post lift and get to use air tools when needed.

johnnystock, how long did it take you on your first try? Im hoping to have it done thursday if i work 8-5 each day starting this morning.

I do have all new valvetrain parts that i will be replacing. Well......im off to work and gonna get it started. I'll keep you guys posted and hopefully with some pics too!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Well day one is done and i must say it went by kinda smoothly. I tore it all down, cleaned the block surface and head bolt holes and got the new cam in.
I did have to take off my headers since they were in the way of the head bolts. I accidently broke a spark plug from dropping the headers (i have extras anyways) The power steering assembly was easy to get off. Since my a/c has a leak in the lines i disconnected the condensor so cam was really easy to take out and put in. Also got the 42# injectors on the manifold.

Tomorrow i will start dropping the oil pan and put in the ls2 chain and line everything up.
Does anybody know when i drop the oil pan, do i have to put a new gasket or some sealent?

Im hopefully looking by Wednesday to have everything wrapped up. Here are some pics of the progress:

Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

nice progress
Old 09-08-2008, 07:45 PM
12 Second Club

Looks good...hey, are you getting paid to work on your own vehicle? If so... way to go man!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you're making good progress!
Old 09-08-2008, 07:49 PM
12 Second Club

Nice progress!! It took us 2 days to do it.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

I reused the oil pan gasket and just made sure I cleaned the block as much as possible and reapplied some sealant to the points where it was initially...at the front and rear where the covers bolt to the block. Mine is actually sealed up better than it was before now. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

It always helps when you have access to a lift. Looks like you're getting it done quickly
Old 09-09-2008, 01:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01redws6ta
Looks good...hey, are you getting paid to work on your own vehicle? If so... way to go man!
actually I AM getting paid while working on my car. Im taking this whole week off work for vacation, so i guess you can say i am getting paid while im working

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
It always helps when you have access to a lift. Looks like you're getting it done quickly
Yeah having the lift, air tools, and all the tech's knowledge it really does help out a lot!! I dont even i would of done half of what i did today.

Things are going pretty good i think, gonna take my time tomorrow and seal most of the engine up. Then hopefully get ready to have it fired up on wednesday. I just feel good about my car because i can honestly say every mod on my vehicle i have put on the car myself
Old 09-09-2008, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Way to go, you're kicking my butt. And here I am giving you advice, haha. It took me a long time just to get to the point where the heads are removed. You'll be driving around and I'll be wrestling with my headers.

BTW, you got any tips you learned about cleaning-off the gasket material and bolt holes? That's my next step. Great work!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Predator
Way to go, you're kicking my butt. And here I am giving you advice, haha. It took me a long time just to get to the point where the heads are removed. You'll be driving around and I'll be wrestling with my headers.

BTW, you got any tips you learned about cleaning-off the gasket material and bolt holes? That's my next step. Great work!
I agree with Predator. Damn your pretty fast.