Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Collapsed Lifter(s) No Oil Pressure...Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Collapsed Lifter(s) No Oil Pressure...Help Please

On my way home about 4 weeks ago the car started ticking. I babied her home which was about 4-5 miles. I pulled the driver side valve-cover off to find the #6 Rocker-Arm very loose. These are stock Rockers btw.

I made sure the bolt was torqued down to 22ftlbs, which it was, and it was still very loose. So I pulled the rocker off, looked like it may have been wore down a bit, and also checked the pushrod which was not bent. I bought a new rocker arm from the dealer and a few replacement bolts. After installing the new Rocker, it was still very loose.

So I buttoned up everything. I drained the oil to find on the drain plug quit a bit of metal. I picked up some 20w50 Castrol to see if I could get the lifter to pressure back up.

After bumping the starter a few times to build pressure I started the car, only to find that now I have no oil pressure. So I shut the car off after about 15 seconds of idling. I checked to make sure the sending unit was intact and hooked up, which it was.

So I started it again no oil pressure still, the valvetrain was still ticking. So after about another 15 seconds of idling I shut her off.

This to me sounds like a lifter problem so I am looking to replace all the lifters with some LS7's. Now my main concern now is why the hell don't I have any oil pressure? I had pressure the night when I babied her home but now after sitting for about a month I have nothing.

Any advice is more than appreciated.

Edit: Found the problem, go to post #18 to see pictures.

Last edited by Black98Z28; 10-11-2008 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:18 PM
LLC
Staging Lane

How much oil pressure did it have that night?
Old 09-26-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Was a little over 40psi

I was watching the gauge like a hawk, if it started to fall I was just going to shut the car off and call for a flat bed to tow me home.

That same night, I drove the car around town, probably 30-45miles worth of driving. Got on it a few times aswell. Felt healthy and normal. On my way home I got on it from 15-50mph or so, about 10 seconds after is when the ticking started.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you have a lifter problem, I think you have an oiling problem. Did you replace the filter when you changed the oil?
Old 09-27-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, I don't think its the lifters but the lifters are a symptom of another problem. You might want to hook up a mechanical gauge and check pressure. Could be the relief valve in the oil pump as well.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:01 AM
FormerVendor

If you ran the car a total of 30 seconds with no oil pressure, it is very likely you are going to find you ate up a bearing on the bottom end. Worst part is that you wont see it till after you put a few more minutes on the motor after you fix your other problem.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Resident

So the oil pump giving out would only cause 1 rocker to go loose?

I think if it was an oiling issue I would have more lifters collapsing.

I have pulled a drain plug out of my car a few years ago when I spun a main bearing, this time it did not have nearly the amount of metal.

If it was an oiling issue wouldnt I have spun a bearing by now?

I did not change the filter, as I figured I would have to be tearing down the top-end anyways. I put 5-1/2qts in. Maybe there is too much oil in the motor?
Old 09-27-2008, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

You might have an oil pump issue, putting 20w-50 in is just going to make the problem worse because it is thicker. If the oil pump is failing, it is going to have a harder time sucking up 20w-50 oil vs. 5w-30 oil. Loose bearing clearances will show better oil pressure with thick oil but this is after the pump.You need to do like stated already, hookup a mechanical gauge to check for oil pressure.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black98Z28
So the oil pump giving out would only cause 1 rocker to go loose?

I think if it was an oiling issue I would have more lifters collapsing.

I have pulled a drain plug out of my car a few years ago when I spun a main bearing, this time it did not have nearly the amount of metal.

If it was an oiling issue wouldnt I have spun a bearing by now?

I did not change the filter, as I figured I would have to be tearing down the top-end anyways. I put 5-1/2qts in. Maybe there is too much oil in the motor?
I suggest you change the filter and hook up a mechanical gauge, otherwise you're guessing and you don't want to tear into the motor on a guess.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:00 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would drain the 20w-50 and go back to 5w-10 or even lighter and only put in 5 quarts, then put a half quart of trans fluid in it. Just hear me out. Trans fluid will actually clean out any carbon or deposits that might be affecting the lifter from pumping back up. Start the car back up and check the oil pressure and give it 10-15 seconds to build pressure back up. If you get oil pressure, drive the car very easy keeping the rpms low, less than 2500 and just cruise slowly around the block. The idea is that you want to circulate the trans fluid through all of the oil passages to clean out any sludge or debris. Obviously put a new filter on before doing any of this because any crap that breaks free you want the filter to catch it and not have it circulating throughout the motor.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I would drain the 20w-50 and go back to 5w-10 or even lighter and only put in 5 quarts, then put a half quart of trans fluid in it. Just hear me out. Trans fluid will actually clean out any carbon or deposits that might be affecting the lifter from pumping back up. Start the car back up and check the oil pressure and give it 10-15 seconds to build pressure back up. If you get oil pressure, drive the car very easy keeping the rpms low, less than 2500 and just cruise slowly around the block. The idea is that you want to circulate the trans fluid through all of the oil passages to clean out any sludge or debris. Obviously put a new filter on before doing any of this because any crap that breaks free you want the filter to catch it and not have it circulating throughout the motor.
I will try that today and let you know what happens. Never thought about using Trans Fluid, but I learn something new everyday. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Here is my update.

Drained the 20w50 and ran half a quart of 5w20 through the motor.

New filter, and 5 quarts of 5w20 and 1/2 a quart of Tranny fluid.

Bumped the starter a few times, started the car, got oil pressure 2-3 seconds after, 60psi.

After the car idled and got to temp it dropped to just under 40psi. Rocker was still ticking, drove the car around the block for 5-7minutes under 2500rpm. Rocker is still ticking.

I am atleast happy now that its not something worse, oil pressure was a little low, a little over 20psi at idle after the car was hot. I raised the RPM's to 2400ish and I had a little over 40psi.

I am gonna run to the dealer and order a replacement lifter. I read somewhere that if you order a LS1 lifter GM will give you a LS7 lifter as the replacement? If this is true, are the dimensions of the LS7 lifter the same as the LS1?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Picked up the lifter today, and yes its a LS7 lifter, got it at cost for $29, not bad at all.

I'm just going to replace that one, we will see how the rest look. Going to start taking the driver side head off today, i'm in no rush.

Thanks again guys.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Addict

Before you go tearing into the engine now that your oil pressure is more normal - are you sure your tick is not an exhaust, spark, etc. leak?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Before you go tearing into the engine now that your oil pressure is more normal - are you sure your tick is not an exhaust, spark, etc. leak?
The rocker is still loose. Torqued down to spec and its still loose. There is nothing else it could be. I pulled the driver side spark plugs before I did anything a few weeks ago and they were fine.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Banned

you might as well replace all of them. plus its cheaper to buy entire set then 1 at a time. i think entire set is like 120 bucks.. for the cost its goingto be to toss on new head gaskets and bolts. might as well do the job right
Old 10-02-2008, 04:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 7845
you might as well replace all of them. plus its cheaper to buy entire set then 1 at a time. i think entire set is like 120 bucks.. for the cost its goingto be to toss on new head gaskets and bolts. might as well do the job right
I pulled the heads off the car last Spring and re-used the Cometic gaskets and ARP bolts. My engine builder said just to wash the gaskets with warm soapy water and there would be no problem.

I am going to just replace the one for now until I decide to change the entire setup on the car.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

Found the problem....

Name:  DSC04392copy.jpg
Views: 6347
Size:  507.9 KB

Name:  DSC04390copy.jpg
Views: 6489
Size:  688.6 KB

Name:  DSC04388copy.jpg
Views: 10426
Size:  502.4 KB

Looks like its time to start selling these bitches...If you would like some, please send your lifters of choice, and my cam will eat them. 3 day turn-around, lets do a group-purchase!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

glad you found the problem...
Old 10-11-2008, 10:27 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Geez, how'd that happen? Lifters turn sideways or what?

Quick Reply: Collapsed Lifter(s) No Oil Pressure...Help Please