Generation IV External Engine LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double rolling timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double rolling timing chain

I've read some bad things about them on the ls2...curious your guys thoughts on this if I should go back to single roller
Old 01-03-2017, 12:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Absolute over-kill waste of money. Stock stuff works just fine. An upgrade would be something like the C5-R chains. But again, probably not worth the expense. That said, I have an SLP double-roller and it was a pain to install and didn't help me one extra bit for horsepower or reliability.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:04 AM
TECH Regular

Easy to fit.

Did one a while back on friends LS2 HSV GTO.
Attached Thumbnails Double rolling timing chain-image.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Mine is already installed...my engine builder put it on i was reading up on them and saw a few guys had problems with them and now I have to get a deep timing cover because the gear is an 1/8" thicker
Old 01-03-2017, 08:42 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Deep timing cover? No, you just have to grind a little bit off of the stock one. The cover will hit in a a few places but it's not really a big deal.

As far as overkill, think of it as cheap insurance. Like dual springs vs single springs. I've seen multiple single chains break, and usually the pistons and valves meet. Usually that destroys the engine. I've yet to see a double roller break.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Iwis

I would fit a IwIs single chain.

I "have" EMPIRICAL DATA :

The case, at ground level, Vegas to Reno race, Corkey's buggy.
The valve covers were removed, in the dirt, NO rocker operation when cranking the engine.
Team members opened the front of the engine, a broken "dual" chain was the cause.
The next step was to remove the rockers, a leakdown revealed a good seal.

I too agree, a low grade "single" chain may not be the best when valve train HP is increased.

Lance
Old 01-07-2017, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCS
Deep timing cover? No, you just have to grind a little bit off of the stock one. The cover will hit in a a few places but it's not really a big deal.

As far as overkill, think of it as cheap insurance. Like dual springs vs single springs. I've seen multiple single chains break, and usually the pistons and valves meet. Usually that destroys the engine. I've yet to see a double roller break.
Have you ever seen a chain break in an NA Heads and cam ls engine used on the street ....or were these boosted engines or used in road racing?

Im building an Hci ls2 with a melling hv oil pump and bought a Cloyes c3220 single timing chain.

​​​​​​After reading this post Im strongly considering the Slp double roller. Will this double roller work with the melling hv?
Old 01-07-2017, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

Default iWiS with L-92 Damper

My observations where with use in BAJA, a LONG RACE of 1K MILE, race engines.
The Turbo Engine has a high seat pressure spring, lower compression (less crankshaft twist), a lower noise pressure spring, and lower RPM.
Thus ALL good for a chain, less than N/A stress.

MY customer, Dave@Waterthunder, reports Air Boat engines are most hard on the timing chain, more than many race applications.

I speak to Melling engineers, once they stated their single 3220 had the IwIs name printed on the link, an IwIs chain.

Those here may want to do as I, go the the IwIs site, ANY chain manufacturer's site, and find the engineering data on chain HP ratings.

The Ford ECHO Boost engine has a valve train, timing chains and guides, ALL designed by Hitachi.
My EAP method could be similar, I weigh all the Valve Train items, use a Lobe File, then check for float.

No one here speaks about chain "guides", the L-92 guide.
The use of this item will DOUBLE chain life, valve events will be more accurate.
Remember, if fitted, one should upgrade the spring.

Lance

Last edited by pantera_efi; 01-07-2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: SP
Old 01-07-2017, 02:26 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullblast
Have you ever seen a chain break in an NA Heads and cam ls engine used on the street ....or were these boosted engines or used in road racing?

Im building an Hci ls2 with a melling hv oil pump and bought a Cloyes c3220 single timing chain.

​​​​​​After reading this post Im strongly considering the Slp double roller. Will this double roller work with the melling hv?
I haven't personally. The single chains I saw break were 750+whp power adder combos. All supercharged coincidentally.

The Melling pumps will work with any of the double rollers. The double rollers will come with spacers to space the pump further out to help clear the chain. Melling also started putting a little dimple in the housing behind the pickup where the chain would hit to also help with clearance. They usually clear by a mile, but the front cover won't clear.

I just put a Melling 10355 (higher high volume pump) on my 440ci shortblock with an N-Motion double roller and they cleared eachother perfectly. I did have to grind the front cover in about 4 spots where it bulges out though. Took maybe 30 minutes.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went with a quality IwIs single roller chain with my build.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had really good luck with the stock LS2 timing chain as well as the IWIS Chains, and currently use a C5-R Timing chain and a LS6 Dampener, only reason I went that route was I picked them up really cheap, brand new under $100 for both from a local company who was going out of business. I know this would be more over kill than a double roller, but has anyone switched to a gear drive setup.

I remember on my 91 Chevy 3500 454 I put a gear drive setup on it and it had that "Supercharger" whine to it.

Last edited by 07NBSChevy; 01-14-2017 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

Default LSXX Four Valve Diesel

Yes, I made a gear drive for my LS-7/LSX four valve Diesel engine.

THUS don't always BELIEVE what Comp states !

Lance
Old 02-01-2017, 02:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IwIs C5R chain, or a Hinson C7R chain with a chain damper, if the LS1 isn't drilled for the damper, buy a Trick Flow kit that fits in behind the timing gears & fit an LS2 damper.
Also use the Cloyes 'hex a just' timing gear set. Your mind will be at complete piece knowing you have the best chain set up
Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using the Rollmaster timing set on my new LS7 and it uses the IwIs chain. The crank gear is 9 keyway and the cam gear has Torrington bearing built in, nice set.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

I always use Rollmaster double with Torrington and Iwis chain also. I wouldn't bother use anything else.

One rollmaster double roller did 50,000 miles in my previous head/cam ls1.. a LOT of 7200rpm shifts, many 1/4 mile runs

It was barely loose when I swapped out the cam and heads and sold the car stock. And i left it on there btw. I didn't trust putting a stock chain back on.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:41 AM
TECH Regular

I've used a double, and it's kind of a PITA. Lots of options now for high quality singles, plus you can use the chain dampener too. If it's a budget build (what build isn't), I would get a C5R chain, and a dampener and run it. If you want to dick with cam timing, get a Rollmaster with the indexable crank gear.

Quick Reply: Double rolling timing chain