Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Building a iron 370.... buy a new block or search for used block.. Pros/Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Building a iron 370.... buy a new block or search for used block.. Pros/Cons?

Im getting ready to start a motor build and Ive decided on a forged iron block 370.

My first instinct is to get a brand new block as they are cheap as hell new. However I have heard that a "seasoned" (insert USED) iron block is a better choice due to it being heat cycled already and less prone to distortion over time or during break in because its been used.

It seems a relatively low mile used LQX short block can be had for the same as a new LQX bare block new.... my thoughts are its a win win because a used short block comes with all the nick-knack bolts/covers that can be reused on a build. If there is truth to using a "seasoned" block then this makes the decision a no brainer.

Anyone care to share thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by Avengeance; 03-11-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

avengeance, i am doing the used block. just to have sensors,pan, covers,rockerarms,etc.... hopeing for a painless 5.3to 6.0 swap

i have also heard pros about using a rebuildable seasoned block, also curious as to what others will say.
thanks for posting

Old 03-11-2010, 08:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Im getting ready to start a motor build and Ive decided on a forged iron block 370.

My first instinct is to get a brand new block as they are cheap as hell new. However I have heard that a "seasoned" (insert USED) iron block is a better choice due to it being heat cycled already and less prone to distortion over time or during break in because its been used.

It seems a relatively low mile used LQX short block can be had for the same as a new LQX bare block new.... my thoughts are its a win win because a used short block comes with all the nick-knack bolts/covers that can be reused on a build. If there is truth to using a "seasoned" block then this makes the decision a no brainer.

Anyone care to share thoughts on this? Thanks in advance...
i have a new, fully machined iron block forsale, with the exception of a hone for fitting of the pistons. comes with front, rear and valley cover. also ARP main studs.

here is the link....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/parts-cla...ain-studs.html
Old 03-11-2010, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jim1450
i know they are different animals but Pro Stock and NASCAR use new, I would go and did use new
And where exactly would teams from these two racing leagues pick up their used blocks?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Used can be slightly better as long as block isn't really used and cracked and overheated etc. All brand new blocks will move a tiny bit as they age and take a set and stabilize. NASCAR and PS stuff is new but also is stress relieved and gets freshened now and then by the time they run down the track.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racer7088
Used can be slightly better as long as block isn't really used and cracked and overheated etc. All brand new blocks will move a tiny bit as they age and take a set and stabilize. NASCAR and PS stuff is new but also is stress relieved and gets freshened now and then by the time they run down the track.
I agree with the used block as long as it does not have really high miles, cracked, or overheated.

A new block is a great option and will have to do some research before any future builds.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:40 AM
Launching!

Smokey Yunick used to bury blocks in the ground to season 'em, he claimed the corrosion actually hardened the blocks.
I believe I'll pass.
For most of us, there's not enough difference in dimensional stability between a new and seasoned block to worry about.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:12 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles
Smokey Yunick used to bury blocks in the ground to season 'em, he claimed the corrosion actually hardened the blocks.
I believe I'll pass.
For most of us, there's not enough difference in dimensional stability between a new and seasoned block to worry about.
I believe this was a trick he learned from the Brits iirc it was Rolls Royce aircraft engine builders who started doing this first.

Regardless I wouldnt lose sleep either which way over it. I'd be MUCH more concerned about who puts it together and does your machine work than I would be about block integrity. Human error is a LOT more prevalent in engine failures than seasoned vs unseasoned iron stability
Old 03-13-2010, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I have a used Block..it was a 13k miles Junk Yard Engine that had a Piston Slap issue.

I don't have any problems with it..
Old 03-17-2010, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A used block that wasn't beat up too bad is a good choice. Lots of sponsors sell new shortblocks using "seasoned" blocks.

Quick Reply: Building a iron 370.... buy a new block or search for used block.. Pros/Cons?