Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Does a bad lifter HAVE to = a bad cam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a bad lifter HAVE to = a bad cam?

Hello, I have a cammed LS6 and recently it started developing a valvetrain tapping noise. I took off the head today and I found a bad lifter, the roller texture looks pretty bad but the lobe looks ok, a few very minor nicks at worst.

Here's a pic of the bad lifter:

Do I really have to change the cam if the lobe looks ok?
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

curious to why the roller on the lifter is pitted? did you bend a pushrod causing the lifter to beat on the lobe of the camshaft? and if the lobe on the cam looks fine i would probably roll with it, good for you though that the roller didnt come apart from the lifter
Old 09-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cubezilla
curious to why the roller on the lifter is pitted? did you bend a pushrod causing the lifter to beat on the lobe of the camshaft? and if the lobe on the cam looks fine i would probably roll with it, good for you though that the roller didnt come apart from the lifter
Pushrods are straight, no clue how that happened??
Old 09-14-2011, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going off your info, there is little to no damage to the cam and the pushrod isn't bent, I'd have to say heat treat problems with the roller. Normally I would just call it roller delamination, but yours is more pitted. Not uncommon. The rollers are heat treated to a certain case depth, think of it as a hard candy coat. Improper heat treat caused from many different reasons, create imperfections in the structure of the steel. Usually only at that case depth which is why I call it delamination, it "flakes" off. Anyway, the end result is what you have in your hands.

ETA: In short the higher stress of your cam/springs and age of the lifter exceeded the material capabilities.

Last edited by Havoc40; 09-14-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

So does that mean that the cause of my tapping/ticking engine sound was the lifter?
Why would a rough surface make it tick? Just would like to know...
Old 09-15-2011, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Did you pull the cam out and look at it or just peek through the lifter bore?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

if the wheel is worn under size, and maybe the cam is, you could lose your preload, and make it tick-you really need to pull the cam and meas it-something could have lost its heat treatment
Old 09-15-2011, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You definitely need to inspect the cam thoroughly. Can you feel any play between the axle and needle bearings? Does it roll smooth? Also, what cam are you running?

If a roller does go undersize, obviously it's going to take away some preload. Looking at the picture I doubt that's your problem, unless you were short on pushrod length to begin with. Say a roller wears .020" diametrically, the preload is only going to see .010" of that. Most rollers will self destruct after they get too small and past the heat treat case. I say most because I've seen some wild hourglass looking rollers.

Time for some new lifters, measure carefully for pushrod length (or verify your existing ones will work), and take a real close look at that cam.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Pull the cam ... I think you'll find a nice grove worn in that lobe.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Staging Lane

So I took a closer look at the cam after I removed the other side head and lifters and I can see enough to tell me that the cam is in fact bad. So I need a new cam....

For those that have done a cam install, is it easier to install a cam with the heads off the car? Or should I put the heads back on after the new lifters are in? I know you don't need to take off the heads for a cam install but will it make inserting the new cam easier at all since the heads and lifters are out right now?

Thanks for everyone's help
Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I was going to guess the cam was damaged as well. That pitting has to be caused by lifter pushing against another surface.

Is the engine in or out of the car?
Old 09-17-2011, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

The top end is off. Both heads
Old 09-17-2011, 11:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adham
For those that have done a cam install, is it easier to install a cam with the heads off the car?
IMO, yes, because you don't have to worry about dropping a lifter.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ShoddyHog
IMO, yes, because you don't have to worry about dropping a lifter.
OK thanks, that's what I was thinking too.

Now on to another question...
I've been reading the forums about scenarios like mine where the cam fails and messes up the lifters and there was mention of cam bearings! Is it possible that my cam messed up the cam bearings as well? I would hate to order another cam and go through this whole process only to find out a month later that cam is toast again because of the bearings.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Staging Lane

Can anyone help identify these springs?
Will they work with a new cam or do I need new ones?
I would really like to replace the cam only if possible.
I know the pushrods have to be measured in order to get the right length so I probably need a new set. But what about the springs, oil pump, timing chain etc....?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Launching!

take the heads to a machine shop have them pressure tested to make sure they good i dont think a bad lifter would hurt springs but they are one thing i would double check last thing you need is to drop a valve
Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by adham
Now on to another question...
I've been reading the forums about scenarios like mine where the cam fails and messes up the lifters and there was mention of cam bearings! Is it possible that my cam messed up the cam bearings as well? I would hate to order another cam and go through this whole process only to find out a month later that cam is toast again because of the bearings.
I doubt your cam bearings are bad ... easiest to look at the cam itself ... inspect the bearing surfaces there for any babit or discoloration. If they look like new you're most likely ok ... good luck! FWIW ... I've been through the same thing but with multiple lifters and I did install a new cam, lifters, ported oil pump, timing chain, and springs ... been fine ever since.

Last edited by Jared H; 09-20-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jared H
I doubt your cam bearings are bad ... easiest to look at the cam itself ... inspect the bearing surfaces there for any babit or discoloration. If they look like new you're most likely ok ... good luck! FWIW ... I've been through the same thing but with multiple lifters and I did install a new cam, lifters, ported oil pump, timing chain, and springs ... been fine ever since.
I will make sure to inspect it, thanks for the tip!
Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Cool New to this

Originally Posted by jared h
did you pull the cam out and look at it or just peek through the lifter bore?
new guy with new question. My supercharged intercooled zo6 has an emormous flat edge on #4 intake roller, all needle bearings are in pan - but cam looks minorly affected - do i need to replace cam?

Quick Reply: Does a bad lifter HAVE to = a bad cam?