Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need Advice on an LS2

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on an LS2

I plan on doing one of the following.. a mild cam OR a FAST102 intake manifold...
I can afford only one...any help would be appreciated..

Here are my mods so far...

Ported OEM intake manifold
Vararam CAI

FTI 2800 converter

MT Drag Radials

160 T Stat

Tune by Cartek in NJ

I have run a best ET of 11.59 @ 118 mph in "Good Air" (-200) back in March..

I have enough $ for only ONE of the following...

#1 a FAST 102 intake ported and dyno tuned...

OR

#2 a mild cam my car is an (A4) and I take the wife out a lot and don't want it shaking my tooth fillings lose at a stop light..

I WAS THINKING of a 224/228 cam on a 114 lob ctr.. (I'm NOT to knowledgeable about cams.. but I don't want to have to spend extra $$ on the rocker, springs, and pushrods if I don't have to ...

Do you think I will see much of an improvement with just switching to the FAST 102 intake.. as I already have KOOKS HEADERS, and a good CAI (Vararam)

I'd appreciate any input from of you guys who have been there ...

jpee
Old 08-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Teching In

I believe you'll better overall with a cam.
If your car is fitted with std LS2 manifold then a fast 102 will definitley be an improvement but I still believe the cam will do better.
I have a much smaller cam in my LS2 (212/218) because I do heaps of stop start inner city driving and still found it stronger and just a fuel efficient as the LS2 cam and adding the Fast102 later gained a litlle more across the board not just at the top end.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Do a Cam much better gains! and to be honest on the shaking the fillings out, on the old chevy blocks a big Cam would shake a turd out of you but these modern engines cams dont shake the entire car like the old ones do! They do got a shake just not insane unless you going animal.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I'm also a CF member, know a little bit of your background from you CF profile and postings.

You are retired with a limited budget and majority of your car's work has been relying on speedshops.

This is facts:

1. Properly installed cam requires other components if you want your motor's valve train to last(Ex: correct springs, push rods and rocker arms). Once a cam and associated components are installed, it will change what was once a relatively maintenance free LS engine to an engine which requires more care and funding to maintain longevity, to say the least, to have periodic change out of valve springs and properly re-torqued by experienced hands. Ignoring basic cam installation requirement will be costly, just a matter of time.

2. On the other hand, Fast 102 along with tune is basically stock maintenance with more power.

Always a trade off, no free lunch. You just have to pick your poison.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by victorf
Since I'm also a CF member, know a little bit of your background from you CF profile and postings.

You are retired with a limited budget and majority of your car's work has been relying on speedshops.

This is facts:

1. Properly installed cam requires other components if you want your motor's valve train to last(Ex: correct springs, push rods and rocker arms). Once a cam and associated components are installed, it will change what was once a relatively maintenance free LS engine to an engine which requires more care and funding to maintain longevity, to say the least, to have periodic change out of valve springs and properly re-torqued by experienced hands. Ignoring basic cam installation requirement will be costly, just a matter of time.

2. On the other hand, Fast 102 along with tune is basically stock maintenance with more power.

Always a trade off, no free lunch. You just have to pick your poison.
THANK YOU... You shed a LOT of light on my conditions.. for instance.. I HAVE to drive 100 miles EACH way "to & from" the track EVERY time I race.. and you are correct that all those miles put a beating on valve springs & the whole valve train in general..

I'm looking at your post, & think the last paragraph is very informative.. If I go w/ the FAST I wont be putting more wear on my valve springs , etc.... I need a "reliable car to drive 200 street miles EVERY time I go to any track..

And yes I'm retired, & honestly don't have the $$ to keep a cammed car at its "peak" & I sure as hell don't want to be breaking the valve train...

Again tkx.. you gave me some very good advice....tkxx
Old 08-04-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cam swap no doubt over the FAST.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Man that's a killer time for a bolt-on LS2. Car must weight barely anything.

I agree a cam will be much more beneficial to you, especially if you have a ported intake already. That should give you a good 30-50rwhp depending on the size of the cam, while a FAST with the stock cam might get you 10-15rwhp at the most.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get a cam that will make good power and be easy on the valve train. Get with a vendor and get them to spec you a cam.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

how about porting the heads?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd say do the cam, like gunslinger said just talk to a vendor and they'll put you on the right track for a daily driven car.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on an LS2