Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

lq4/ls2/ls3 build sugestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lq4/ls2/ls3 build sugestions?

im planning a new build and will be buying an lq9 block on friday for 950$ the block comes with a new timing set, a stock crank, timing cover, new 799 heads with double springs, new arp head bolts, new push rods lifters and lifter trays. for 1200 he would throw in a cam 240/244-.600/.608 108 lsa but i figured that would be to much cam for what i want. does this sound like a good deal? other then the intake, pistons and rods what else would i need to have a complete motor?

as far as plans go i was wanting to find a set of l92 heads and intake or an ls3 intake to put on it. Get a set of forged rods and pistons and a cam. depending how much a turbo kit would cost i might go that way and put a turbo cam in it, or i might go with a bigger cam for n/a then. id really like to back it with an allison 1000 or maybe a 4l80e depending on what i end up putting it in. maybe a 2500hd to go beat up on diesels or maybe an fbody or if i can talk my dad into it maybe the 68 camaro we are restoring. anyways im trying to do this as low cost as possible. not that i want to take short cuts but i want to do my best to get good deals on everything i buy. first i will be collecting all the parts for the motor and building it in near the end of oct when work slows down. so thats all im worried about now.

so should i stay with the 799 heads? go with 317's? go with l92? also what intake would work best? and how much roughly would a turbo kit cost me? any other recommendations or suggestions would be great.
and if anyone else has done a similar build let me know how you like yours and what you might have done differently!
sorry for all the questions i just figured this would be the best place to ask them!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

I also just noticed this might be in the wrong spot. if so would someone please move it?
Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to do this real quick playing Madden...Rotating assembly stroker $2000 if you use Cathedarl port Fast ..900 or ported stock intake 500-600..Pistons 750-900
Turbo....6700+
$l80e depends.... I found mine in old work truck out back at the shop .....250 bucks ...sold truck for 250 bucks = $ 0
You could have the heads ported by Advanced inductions or Total engine airflow if you trying to save and get springs to match cam used....Hope this helps... back to SF* vs Chi online
Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

I will most likley stay with the stock crank because i hear they are pretty strong and if i was going to fork out 2000$ id rather save up some more and buy a turbo kit. as far as the heads go ive been reading and it sounds like the 799 heads I will be getting with the block preform almost as good as the newer style l92 heads. has anyone else found this to be true? i really want to go turbo with the motor but no way could i spend 6k on a kit. is there any cheaper out there that have proven to be reliable? if i do go turbo from what ive read the 799s have to small of combustion chambers for boost. im 20 years old working full time and paying for all my own things so im defiantly on a budget here.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:13 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Cathedral or Rectangular Port heads on 6.0

243/799 or L92 Heads?

Square port vs Catherdral for boost?

Cathedral v.s. Rectangular Port Cylinders - Head To Head
Old 09-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Banned

stay with your core parts and up grade pistons,rods for future boost...KCS gave you the links to compare heads with boost and a stock intake.stick with 799's... U will have whats wanted....at 20 I really would think about that much POWER.....lay it all down at the track this is a life or DEATH thing you are getting into.... I would like to think a good N/a engine with say around 520-530rwhp will be cheaper than a turbo set-up and you will get the fill of how much 500rwhp really is..
Old 09-19-2013, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

there is alot of good information up there. one of the links comparing heads uses a fast intake on both to make the comparison more even. i how ever do not plan on buying a fast intake. again do to budget. so when not suing a fast intake does one have a clear advantage over the other? if i stick with the 799 heads i will be getting an ls6 intake and if i got with the l92 heads i will be getting an ls3 intake. so even though the heads are so closely matched does one intake shine over the other to going with that set of heads a better choice?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned

Nope. both will under perform without porting on heads as well as intake....I'd keep what you have and send them to be ported ...BTW what is it you are trying to do or get to with this combo ...Basically what is the overall purpose of this build so we all could help more.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6.0 stock cubic inch, LS3 heads, LS3 intake, 1 7/8 headers with dual 3's or single 4" exhaust, 232/238 620/620 112 (ish) cam (maybe a bit bigger depending on trans and gearing.) You should be able to get that built for around 5-6k total. Not sure how much power it would make, but who really cares about dyno numbers. It should be a really fun car to drive with great street manners.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lil john
Nope. both will under perform without porting on heads as well as intake....I'd keep what you have and send them to be ported ...BTW what is it you are trying to do or get to with this combo ...Basically what is the overall purpose of this build so we all could help more.
im not really sure. im thinking i want to buy a turbo kit and put it on a 2500HD 4x4 truck

Originally Posted by QucikSilver
6.0 stock cubic inch, LS3 heads, LS3 intake, 1 7/8 headers with dual 3's or single 4" exhaust, 232/238 620/620 112 (ish) cam (maybe a bit bigger depending on trans and gearing.) You should be able to get that built for around 5-6k total. Not sure how much power it would make, but who really cares about dyno numbers. It should be a really fun car to drive with great street manners.
if i plan on running a set up like that, with plans to turbo it down the road once i save up some more money, would milling the heads down be a bad idea?
Old 09-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

If you want real flow send intake to ExtrudeHone outside Pittsburgh and have them smooth it out internally their process works great
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
If you definitely are going to add the turbo I would not mill the L92's heads. With a LQ9 and that flat top piston, your static comp should be around 10.3-10.4 which is perfect for boost and a meth kit.

Same thing if you decide to stick with the 317/799's, your static compression will be around 10.1, which is also perfect for boost and a meth kit.

keep your intake duration on your cam around 216-224ish. No need for a large cam.

With these compression values and boost you will have to prob run less timing when boosting, but when out of boost you will still have a nice snappy throttle response as long as you don't over do the cam duration.

I have driven boosted cars that dropped the compression too low below 9.5 and they sucked out of boost. Of course you could run more boost but who the hell is going to ride around daily or in traffic with 15lbs of boost constantly? No one.
i think im going to stick with the 799 heads since i already have them, and get a cam ground for my set up, but built the motor n/a for now just set up for boost. that way i can get it in the truck now and start collecting boost parts for later down the road. and i dont have pistons yet so i could buy them flat top or dished depending on what would be best for my build.

i want to make around 500-550 whp when all done. would it be cheaper just to mill the heads get a big cam and forget the boost all together to reach my goals n/a?

Quick Reply: lq4/ls2/ls3 build sugestions?