Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Do mains studs are reusable or are one time use?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Do mains studs are reusable or are one time use?

Do the mains studs/bolts are reusable or one time use as the heads bolts? It' son a LQ4 engine, which I'm planning to use as a daily driver/show twin turbo old chevy truck.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

factory ones? No TTY (torque to yield) bolt is reusable.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:22 AM
TECH Regular

Supposedly rod and main bolts are torque to angle not torque to yield. Meaning they are reusable
Old 04-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Exclamation bolts

When you blow out the bottom end for lack of good fasteners using your turbos for boost, then you will really know the answer....
Old 04-18-2014, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oldngray
When you blow out the bottom end for lack of good fasteners using your turbos for boost, then you will really know the answer....
Too many 1000hp turbo stock motors to post that you will blow out the bottom end from not having good fasteners.

You will bend a rod, lift the head, or break a ringland before the main bolts become an issue.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wink

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Too many 1000hp turbo stock motors to post that you will blow out the bottom end from not having good fasteners.

You will bend a rod, lift the head, or break a ringland before the main bolts become an issue.
Understand that, however stock was not in his question, reusable seems to be the focal point, my point, don't cheap it out , when you are that deep into anything a few bucks for good stuff, stock or aftermarket, is money well spent.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Main bolts are torque to angle not torque to yield and are reusable. This topic has been beat to death and I know plenty of guys running BIG numbers with stock bolts. This is debatable and you need to do what you are confident will work for you and something you don't regret. For the guys who say you need to replace with ARP can you please show me a thread of someone who lost an engine do to main bolt failure.

Caps will walk at certain power levels. It's a good idea in BIG power situations to have dowel pins installed to keep the main caps from walking. I personally have never seen or heard of a main bolt failure. Keep in mind that anytime you change the fastener properties and torque values that the main caps will most likely distort and require machining.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, in that case then, OP get the ebay main studs. They are cheap but effective and reuseable too.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think his question is whether "good" Studs ( ARP, for example )are reusable and/or "transferable" to another block . . . Maybe Heads Studs, too.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike Cordero
Do the mains studs/bolts are reusable or one time use as the heads bolts? It' son a LQ4 engine, which I'm planning to use as a daily driver/show twin turbo old chevy truck.
Originally Posted by ez2cdave
I think his question is whether "good" Studs ( ARP, for example )are reusable and/or "transferable" to another block . . . Maybe Heads Studs, too.
Where do you see that he says any of what you posted in his post. From what I gather he is talking about the stock main bolts.

OP, I have reused main bolts that I have picked up out of a bucket and don't know what engine they have come from. No issues whatsoever. I have used the ebay stuff and so has many of the turbo guys for the heads, and have never had an issue. Go with what makes you sleep better at night.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where do you see that he says any of what you posted in his post. From what I gather he is talking about the stock main bolts.
Quote:
"Do the mains studs/bolts are reusable or one time use as the heads bolts?"
End Quote:

Hmm . . . It MIGHT have been the word "studs" he used.

Since "factory" motors don't use "studs", I inferred that aftermarket studs were in question and, since he is swapping motors, he might have another block with "studs" that he might want to use in the LQ9 twin-turbo motor for his truck.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ez2cdave
Quote:
"Do the mains studs/bolts are reusable or one time use as the heads bolts?"
End Quote:

Hmm . . . It MIGHT have been the word "studs" he used.

Since "factory" motors don't use "studs", I inferred that aftermarket studs were in question and, since he is swapping motors, he might have another block with "studs" that he might want to use in the LQ9 twin-turbo motor for his truck.
Don't be blind dude. He has the words bolts in there too.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 AM
Staging Lane

Like Silverbullet says, whatever makes you sleep better at night, I re use studs but not too many times
Old 04-22-2014, 10:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you swap to Studs youll want to align hone it to get it back into spec. Studs have more clamping force and can throw clearances a little tighter than stock bolts.

Stock bolts are reusable and supposably good till 800hp or so. Or so I've read on the internets
Old 04-26-2014, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by soccerdave
Like Silverbullet says, whatever makes you sleep better at night, I re use studs but not too many times
how many times is too many in your experience?

Here are my findings on the subject: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...st-little.html
Old 04-26-2014, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't be blind dude. He has the words bolts in there too.

True . . . used in the phrase ""Do the mains studs/bolts are reusable or one time use as the heads bolts?"

Among the bad grammar and sentence structure, coupled with him building a "twin-turbo" LQ4, I felt that aftermarket Studs on BOTH the Mains & Heads would be advisable. I also thought that the issue of being able to "re-use" ARP studs should be included in my reply.

Quick Reply: Do mains studs are reusable or are one time use?