Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

6.0 Truck motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 07:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 6.0 Truck motor

Hi Folks,
I'm a new guy in this Forum with a question I didn't see addressed in the archives, hope you can help.
I'm planning to buy a damaged 2004 1 ton Chevy van with a 6.0 size of what I guess is a version of the LS2. Not sure if it's an LQ4 or 9 (not sure those are correct), but one is about 9.5 compression with 300 hp and one is 10.1 with about 335 hp. At any rate, I have a 1939 Chevy Sedan currently powered by a 327/300 and a turbo 350, with a 12 bolt posi and 3.55 gears. The car has a Mustang rack and pinion set up, so I don't think I have any clearance issues, and since I have the whole truck, or will next month, I will have the 4L80E trans and computer, harness and anything else I might need for the swap. I hope that I just need to fab up some engien mounts and a transs crossmember a little further back than the current unit.
Does anyone know where I can get an abbreviated harness more fitting for a street rod? Also, I would like to get a little more power from this engine with out breaking the bank. The car is A/C equipped and mostly a cruiser, but i'd like to be able to run with my LS1 Corvette (2000) for a brief period while accelerating (Mid-high 12's in the 1/4 at 110). What throttle body and or exhaust headers might go on this old girl? With the very docile manner of the truck motor, would a camshaft change be worthwhile without going to the bettter cylinder heards??
Thanks for any and all assistance.

Last edited by wagonmaster; 02-10-2006 at 07:22 PM. Reason: post photo
Old 02-12-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Resident

The 6.0L's are gen 3 motors which are part of the LS1, LS6, 5.3, and 4.8 family.

As far as the harness, motor mounts, and which headers fit; there is a conversion & hybrid section that this would be better to ask in. The people in that forum have but those motors in everything possible.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Launching!

It should be the LQ4 which has 325 hp and 370 lb-ft. The higher compression LQ9 was only offered in Cadillac SUVs, Silverado SS and VHO trucks (and maybe Denalis?).
Old 02-13-2006, 01:19 AM
TECH Regular

Well most of the parts for your LS1 Vette's engine will work with that motor (minus the pistons which are to small).

Get the stock heads port'd -n- polish'd.
Maybe shave'd as well to raise the compression.
Get a better set of springs and larger valves while the heads are being worked up, that way you'll be ready for a double roller and a mid size'd cam.

Get a LS6 manifold to replace the tall truck style manifold that will be on the 6.0L iron block (so it will fit under the hood of your rod). Then again you may not need a short manifold if you have enough clearance in the engine bay.

Headers, may be able to take a set of headman, hooker, or kooks retro header kits for the LS (they have units ready for LS swaps for late 60 early 70 gm muscle cars). Then have the rest of the exhaust fab'd up
Might be able to use a aftermarket unit for the 05/06 gto's (headers and cat back with x-pipe).

Or if you want to kick your vette's but leave the heads at the current CC size for the chambers when you have them port'n -n- polish'd and add a S trim or whiple charger and a small/medium cam... that low compression motor would be a great starting point for a Force Induction setup.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Lightbulb ALL help is welcome!

Thanks to all for the replies. I think I'll have sufficient hood clearence, but like the idea of using the LS6 intake and related hardware. Maybe I'll clean up the ports and cut the heads a little before I swap the intake. Never can have too much power!!
Old 02-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

Originally Posted by wagonmaster
Thanks to all for the replies. I think I'll have sufficient hood clearence, but like the idea of using the LS6 intake and related hardware. Maybe I'll clean up the ports and cut the heads a little before I swap the intake. Never can have too much power!!
www.performancetrucks.net

That's the affiliate site to ls1tech, but for trucks. The LQ4's can be tricky, as far as HP ratings are concerned. The LQ4's in the HD Trucks were rated at 300hp (@4000) rpm, as there were certain noise/sound regulations on these vehicles mandated by the federal government. In the Denali's, the same LQ4 was rated at 325hp, as it was pushed a little further and also fitted with the 3 piece insulated engine cover to reduce noise db's. It's the same motor, rated different. The LQ9 is basically the same motor with different pistons which net a slightly higher compression ratio, 10:1 as compared to the LQ4's 9.4:1. There are a ton of things to do to these motors, so check out the link above. What PCM are you running? I would think a cam in the 224 range would work good for your application, but would work best if/when properly tuned with some sort of Software/Tuning package.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up

What PCM are you running?
I've not installed this motor yet, in fact, I've not even bought it! I suppose it'll be box stock when I first bolt it together, including PCM and harness. That is unless the hood won't close, lol! I believe it will since my '39 has a lot of vertical hood clearance. It will be a play/mod as you go concept, since I am on a strict budget. Not sure yet what the engine/trans. will cost.....
Thanks again,
Joe
Old 02-14-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think painless wiring will have a harness for you. If the truck has a little black thing on the starter key that slides into the ignition, you will need to get a tuner to turn the VATS off for you or the engine will not start. Since you need a tuner to do that for you you might as well change cams and have the car tuned at the same time for that. If you do not run the other stuff like EGR, Cats, you will need to get it tuned also to turn all that stuff off or the computer might make the car run funny. The can also take out some torque limiting fetures that are programed into the computer to limit the engine from making max power. Get ready to grab your wallet, a cam for these things are not exactly cheep like the old small block stuff. But I bet once you get finished with it you will spit on that 327. This web sight has all kinds of sponsors that can help you with any and all your needs. They are all on the right side of the screen. There is even more people that subscibe to this sight that can and would love to help you any way they can (more then I can count). I am no sponsor, just a member, but please stick around, ask anything, and most importanty, KEEP US POSTED of with the progress of your toy.

Sounds like something worth doing to me. Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Old 02-14-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also something that would realy wakr that thing up and be too cool in it if you have the hood clearance for it would be a magna charger. If you get the one for the Vette and don't like it on that car you can swap it over to your vette.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Neat stuff! Keep the cards and letters coming.............lol!
Joe
Old 02-15-2006, 05:44 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will have to get the VATS deleted from the computer, the VATS bypass boxes will NOT work on a truck computer. Painless may or may not have a wiring harness, last time I checked the harness they sold said you had to use a 98 computer. Lots of places will rework an existing harness if you can`t, just check in the conversions and hybrids section.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey wagonmaster, love the Marine emblem. Were did you find it and how did you get it yo go above your name? I've been a member here since 03 and I still have yet to put something on mine!!!!!
Old 02-19-2006, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Wink Avatar

Check in the User CP section. It was one of the "listed" avatars. You can add your own...
Joe
Old 02-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Teching In

If it's a 6.0 out of a van, it's the LQ4.

Pick up a set of LS1/LS2/LS6 heads and bolt 'em on. They'll bump up the compression ratio a little and have better ports. Then, sell me the stock heads (casting #317) for my supercharger project.

Speedway Motors has a new LS1 header kit - you'll have to weld it up yourself, but the flanges and tubing are all there to enable you to build the custom set you'll need.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:28 PM
Banned

Theres a 6.0 in the for sale section with whipple and meth kit complete for 3200 bucks. Might be something for you.

Nate

Quick Reply: 6.0 Truck motor