Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

head and intake is all i need to choose

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head and intake is all i need to choose

hope its allowed to put a post in another section after putting it somewhere else. I just didn't get much replies.

was wondering about intakes and heads. the rest is all the same as long as its top quality stuff.

gonna do a 430-454ci LS-something, don't know what yet. Maybe a sleeved block or the iron stuff. (430ci only because this local guy has a set of brand new custom made Diamond pistons he'll sell me CHEAP, still in the box).

but I want the most possible power output and still be able to drive it every day if I want to. but wont be.

bottom end doesn't change power output, but of course it will be forged. so whats the best "intake and heads" for that size engine for a street driving car. Intake and heads are the key. ALL opinions and combos are welcome, I think I have the budget to do something different then the same ole'....... fast 90/90, LS7 intake, L92. etc.... I really want to know what else will make more power.

my friend has a 535 rwhp 422ci 2001 T/A with FAST 90 stuff, but it was built like 5 years ago so I know there's better stuff out now to make much more power.

Goals:
i have $14,000 in hand right now to spend. THATS ALL!

i want 650 RWHP.

i need to be able to drive it 1, maybe 2 days a week for fun only.

no need to ask about tranny, rear-end, suspension.....I already have a 4L80E from my buddies car, 2 months old. And a Strange 12 bolt that is new without traction control hook-ups. I don't car about traction control.

I never did drag race so it will only be driving on the street.

Someone told me to go sheet metal intake and I heard abotu low end power problems, I'm convinced there will be no low end power problem for a street car when there is 430-454 cubic inches in use. So no need to tell me about that. Unless you think a stock Vette will blow my doors off the line, I don't care about that little, most likely un-noticeable loss of low end power.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2008, 03:45 AM
TECH Regular

Hand Fab'd Aluminum Intake manifold along with a set of either Ported LS7 style heads or a set of ETP LS7 heads.

Pick the bottom end you want: Resleeved LS1, LS7, Warhawk, or LSX.

One combo that comes to mind would be a Warhawk Block (tall deck goes up to 481) and Warhawk LS7 Head combo along with a custom Manifold manifold matched to both the motor and the users needs (runner length, diameter, Plenum volume, etc).

The Warhawk tall deck can be ordered in a short block in either a 454 or 481 from World or one of there vendors.
http://www.worldcastings.com/prods_p...Assemblies.htm (short block).
http://www.worldcastings.com/prods_pages/101500.htm (partial motor / long block).

Also the Warhawk can be setup to use LS1 cam, crank, and knock sensors. So if you are replacing a motor in a late model Fbody, GM truck 99 to 2005, or a C5 vette. You should be able to use the stock wiring harness and not have to convert to LS2/LS3/LS7 sensors... Just a side note I guess.

The LSX block and heads would be another way to go. I'm not sure if GM has the LSX tall deck ready or not.

The SDParts offers a 440 LS7 shortblock that uses a 4.1" crank and custom pistons.
http://www.sdparts.com/catalog/lsgen...kAssembly.aspx
Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To make a long story short, you won't get 650 RWHP through that auto, not with $14K. Unless you spray it.

However it will be RELATIVELY easy to get enough to run a 9 at the track. I know you said you don't run at the track that often, but that is a very good indicator of the power you have.

My personal opinion and what is available on this forum would be to build a 454 lsx and talk to LG for your topend. Like I said, my personal opinion. Run a beck sheetmetal with some of LG's heads and you should be set for a ton of power. Just need to make sure that tranny can take 7k rpm. I know the 4L60's had problems with that many rpms. Just observances.........
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
To make a long story short, you won't get 650 RWHP through that auto, not with $14K. Unless you spray it.

However it will be RELATIVELY easy to get enough to run a 9 at the track. I know you said you don't run at the track that often, but that is a very good indicator of the power you have.

My personal opinion and what is available on this forum would be to build a 454 lsx and talk to LG for your topend. Like I said, my personal opinion. Run a beck sheetmetal with some of LG's heads and you should be set for a ton of power. Just need to make sure that tranny can take 7k rpm. I know the 4L60's had problems with that many rpms. Just observances.........
What is LG?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bring the Noise
Hand Fab'd Aluminum Intake manifold along with a set of either Ported LS7 style heads or a set of ETP LS7 heads.

Pick the bottom end you want: Resleeved LS1, LS7, Warhawk, or LSX.

One combo that comes to mind would be a Warhawk Block (tall deck goes up to 481) and Warhawk LS7 Head combo along with a custom Manifold manifold matched to both the motor and the users needs (runner length, diameter, Plenum volume, etc).

The Warhawk tall deck can be ordered in a short block in either a 454 or 481 from World or one of there vendors.
http://www.worldcastings.com/prods_p...Assemblies.htm (short block).
http://www.worldcastings.com/prods_pages/101500.htm (partial motor / long block).

Also the Warhawk can be setup to use LS1 cam, crank, and knock sensors. So if you are replacing a motor in a late model Fbody, GM truck 99 to 2005, or a C5 vette. You should be able to use the stock wiring harness and not have to convert to LS2/LS3/LS7 sensors... Just a side note I guess.

The LSX block and heads would be another way to go. I'm not sure if GM has the LSX tall deck ready or not.

The SDParts offers a 440 LS7 shortblock that uses a 4.1" crank and custom pistons.
http://www.sdparts.com/catalog/lsgen...kAssembly.aspx
Thanks for all that!

With just $14,000 to spend on a complete engine, will these 481 world engines be do-able. I haven't called them to ask about pricing if its jujst way to much.

Last edited by needadvice; 01-10-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by needadvice
What is LG?
LG Motorsports is a sponsor. Pioneers with the ls7 stuff.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:44 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considered the PRC LS7 heads? They offer better performance than the GM CNC'd head for less money! We'll get you making the big power in no time! Shoot me a PM or phone call and we can discuss your exact needs

Here's before and after engine dyno graphs from one of our LSx 454's with these heads, 254/260 camshaft, GM LS7 intake, 1 7/8" headers, and our prototype 100mm MAF!

BEFORE (stock GM LS7 heads):

After (PRC LS7 heads):

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Last edited by Sales2@Texas-speed; 01-10-2008 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Have you considered the PRC LS7 heads? They offer better performance than the GM CNC'd head for less money! We'll get you making the big power in no time! Shoot me a PM or phone call and we can discuss your exact needs

Here's before and after engine dyno graphs from one of our LSx 454's with these heads, 254/260 camshaft, GM LS7 intake, 1 7/8" headers, and our prototype 100mm MAF!

BEFORE (stock GM LS7 heads):

After (PRC LS7 heads):
i assume a with a $14,000 budget a sheet metal intake cannot be worked in? In the upper rpms what horsepower increase would you expect with everything the same and a sheet metal intake?

Last edited by needadvice; 01-10-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:40 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

with a $14,000 budget can a sheet metal intake be worked in? In the upper rpms what horsepower increase would you expect?
How much of that do you have tied up in the short-block already? A sheet-metal intake is feasible, so long as you don't have some insane amount of the budget in the short-block already!

Matt
Old 01-10-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
How much of that do you have tied up in the short-block already? A sheet-metal intake is feasible, so long as you don't have some insane amount of the budget in the short-block already!

Matt
ok, how about the motor you speak of above (454ci) that made 722 hp @ 6800 rpm with a sheet metal intake instead of what was used, everything else the same? and maybe use a larger 105mm TB and SD tune.
What do you think the power/torque increase would be?

so I guess I am asking for a total complete price from you for that engine from top to bottom. Also, what bore and stroke do you use to get to 454ci with that iron block?

should I PM you for price issues?

Last edited by needadvice; 01-10-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm gonna go with the Wilson sheet metal and accu 105mm with a sd tune. i'm also gonna do an intake swap to an LS7 with a 90mm while its being dynoed to see the difference. It will be a 454ci. I expect there to be a gigantic difference.
Old 01-12-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you've already made your decision, but for what it's worth, here is a comparison from another thread. Personally, I would have opted for cathedral port Trickflow 245's and a ITB intake. I won't go into reasons since you've already made up your mind.
Originally Posted by Ron@Vengeance

The graph below represents two different Z06s

The red Line is a 440 LS7 shortblock with TFS 235cc Cylinder Heads/Vengeance cam(260s duration/under.600 lift)/Ported FAST 90mm Intake/LS2 90mm TB/VaraRam Induction/ Stock MAF

The Blue Line is a 449 built by another shop with a MUCH larger camshaft(270s duration/over .700 lift)/ET LS7 heads/Sheetmetal Intake/Speed Density Tuning

Our 440 produced 8 less rwhp with 9 less cubic inches. If you do the math with traditional 1.5 horsepower/cubic inch our 440 would have made 617rwhp if it were a 449. Also notice the difference in power under the curve. The 449 is 50ftlbs off under the curve at certain points.

Everyone is so quick to jump on this LS7 stuff. It is a great design, but the cathedral port stuff has had YEARS of development and can hold its own quite well.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
I see you've already made your decision, but for what it's worth, here is a comparison from another thread. Personally, I would have opted for cathedral port Trickflow 245's and a ITB intake. I won't go into reasons since you've already made up your mind.
ITB's are really unproven, right? I saw the Harrop but are there any running with good results and is the tuning working out? Love to have one but maybe later when all the kinks are worked out.

So, do you think the Trick Flow 245's are gonna be better then LS7 heads?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ITB's are really unproven, right? I saw the Harrop but are there any running with good results and is the tuning working out? Love to have one but maybe later when all the kinks are worked out.

So, do you think the Trick Flow 245's are gonna be better then LS7 heads?
ITB's are common place in Australia. Sure you don't see many here in the US, due to price, but they are very common over seas. Tuning might be tricky, but a skilled tuner shouldn't have a problem with it. None of the ones I have spoken with saw it as a problem, they were actually anxious to get it on the rollers. Hopefully one day I can help them out by finishing mine.

As for the difference in the heads, it's my opinion that the cathedral stuff can hold it's own against it's "higher flowing" LS7 counterpart and it's easier to work with due to the years of development. If you find a intake that can flow the potential of the heads, such as a ITB, you'll really see the things come to life. As you can see from the graph, the larger, ported LS7 headed, sheet metal intake'd motor was way down on power against a motor that was severely intake limited, smaller cam'd, and smaller ci. Being that your wanting a high power street car, you can see what your leaving on the table with a sheet metal. While you may be out powering your counterparts, you could be that much further ahead of them for less money with a cathedral/ported FAST, or further with a ITB. I just don't see the need of a sheet metal on the street unless you plan on staying above 6500 rpm's ALL the time.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
ITB's are common place in Australia. Sure you don't see many here in the US, due to price, but they are very common over seas. Tuning might be tricky, but a skilled tuner shouldn't have a problem with it. None of the ones I have spoken with saw it as a problem, they were actually anxious to get it on the rollers. Hopefully one day I can help them out by finishing mine.

As for the difference in the heads, it's my opinion that the cathedral stuff can hold it's own against it's "higher flowing" LS7 counterpart and it's easier to work with due to the years of development. If you find a intake that can flow the potential of the heads, such as a ITB, you'll really see the things come to life. As you can see from the graph, the larger, ported LS7 headed, sheet metal intake'd motor was way down on power against a motor that was severely intake limited, smaller cam'd, and smaller ci. Being that your wanting a high power street car, you can see what your leaving on the table with a sheet metal. While you may be out powering your counterparts, you could be that much further ahead of them for less money with a cathedral/ported FAST, or further with a ITB. I just don't see the need of a sheet metal on the street unless you plan on staying above 6500 rpm's ALL the time.
Do you think a sheet metal will outflow the LS7 or ported FAST by a long way, even at those high rpms? You think one can flow the potential fo the LS7 heads?
Old 01-13-2008, 05:41 AM
TECH Regular

Default Heads and manifold

I chose ETP and LS7 kit from SDPC
John
Old 01-13-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blktie8
I chose ETP and LS7 kit from SDPC
John
I know what ETP is, thats where I plan to get the heads (6 bolts per cyclinder LS7 heads).....but what is an LS7 kit from SDPC?
Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

I Looked it up for you

http://www.sdparts.com/product/12568...dAssembly.aspx

John
Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blktie8
Ah-ha. I see. But I'm gonna go with a 105mm TB, considering I'll be using a sheet metal intake thats gonna let the heads flow so much more than a 90mm and an LS7 intake.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Street use ?

By what intake you want, sounds like your getting ready for the drag strip?
Like the one post said, the 440ci engine made more streetable power with the smaller cam and 90mm intake.
With a sheetmetal and 105mm tb, your prolly gonna leave soo much streetable torque on the table @ low to mid range.
Naturally your prolly going to choose a monster type of cam?
You want driveability ?
I have a 231/237 in a 402 and the low end driveability is the max I'll tolerate.
I'm gonna do a 454 NA with WCCH LS7 Heads and GM LS7 intake ported by T Mamo and a baby cam. It may starve for air at over 6k + but I bet it's gonna be a torque monster and jump off the line like a mad **** !
There's many opinions here on LS1tech. My 2 cents.

Quick Reply: head and intake is all i need to choose