Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

cam only car bit the dust, questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam only car bit the dust, questions

I locked up my cam only LS1 z tonight. I guess the stock bottom end couldnt handle a bunch of drag strip passes at 6800. I went 6 rounds and won friday night, along with 6 time trials, and then ran two classes tonight and was still in both and down to the quarterfinals, and it threw a rod at about 200ft out. No warning, no noises, just nosed over and cut off. Oiled the track down a little. Opon my short visual inspection, it threw a rod out of the drivers side, up high, either block or high on the oil pan. Only lost about 1-2 quarts.
I honestly thought it would last a long time, but I guess not. What is pretty much max on stock bottom end rpm?
It was turning 6800 through the traps (1/8) every pass, running 7.50 pretty much every time, it even 60ft the same as before and bam..that was it, rolling smoke. Its locked up right now completely

I'm seriously thinking about an LS7 now
Old 04-27-2008, 06:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the weakest part of the LS1, internally, is the connecting rod bolts. you really should of upgraded those before turning that many rpms... The crank and everything else is awesome I hear... I shift at 6500 and upgraded mine to the Katech rod bolts. They are the strongest Ive seen
Old 04-27-2008, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Yep, rods are the weak point. Rods and strong but the crank has held 1000 horse at the strip. The needle bearings in rockers sometimes go but that is about it.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

can someone move this to the Gen III section? I don't know how I put it in here, haha
Old 04-27-2008, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people claim to turn them to 7100 rpms and for 300+ passes and have 150k on them with no issues.

Mine broke at 84k, didnt throw a rod but broke none the less and I only turned it to 6500

When your ready to talk about short blocks or a long block let me know, I can help your right out
Old 04-27-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Some people claim to turn them to 7100 rpms and for 300+ passes and have 150k on them with no issues.

Mine broke at 84k, didnt throw a rod but broke none the less and I only turned it to 6500

When your ready to talk about short blocks or a long block let me know, I can help your right out
Yea all motors are different, I really thought that 6800 wasn't too tight on stock bottom end, but anything will break when you scream it enough. I kind of figured the 10 bolt would have gone byebye by now, especially with full suspension and a cage, but it outlived the motor.

I'll look into some shortblocks, just going to take my time, the car is track only, so it can sit
Old 04-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZTwentyAteU
I'll look into some shortblocks, just going to take my time, the car is track only, so it can sit
Best way to do it. Plenty of good sponsors here, shopping around and getting different opinions will help you to make an informed decision.

bummer on the thrown rod , never any fun. We had someone in our section do the same thing this weekend. Was fine at the track ran an 11.44 but broke in an Aztec parking lot after the races from what I understand.
Left an amsoil river is how it was put to me..lol
Old 04-28-2008, 04:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Best way to do it. Plenty of good sponsors here, shopping around and getting different opinions will help you to make an informed decision.

bummer on the thrown rod , never any fun. We had someone in our section do the same thing this weekend. Was fine at the track ran an 11.44 but broke in an Aztec parking lot after the races from what I understand.
Left an amsoil river is how it was put to me..lol
Amsoil river, haha.

i'm in the parts business, so i'm sure i'll find something, the hard part is figuring out what route to go.
If the block isnt hurt bad, I may run new Pistons, Rods, ARP bolts, and go from there. I hope the crank was spared. Definately higher compression, but then I might as well do heads, at least port my 243s. What kind of compression is everyone running? I was thinking 13.5:1.