Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

LS powered Dakota R/T

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS powered Dakota R/T

Well not yet lol. But that's the plan. I've been through 3 dakotas now and was never realy able to do much to em. So I got this one as a roller and have been doing the little stuff untill I made up my mind wut direction to take. Evaluating my costs has made the choice easy. For the same amount of cash and a little more work/research I can install more power and better mpg than the 5.9 offers. 250 crank hp and 12mpg haha. Anyways here's some pics of how it currently sits. Don't plan on posting much, just reading, thinking, and taking in all the knowledge you guys are willing to share.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always loved those trucks. Please post pics of the build while it is in process. Good luck man!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Thanks!!! Prolly start stripping it down this weekend. Gotta show some love to Brian Esser, my "insperation" for this project. Not sure if he's a member here but he's on the Kota forums and also directed me here.

I've loved the looks of these trucks since they came out.... I was in 6th grade, lol. But I've learned that R/T is just a label for a lowered truck with a sport package and 15 more hp than a standard 5.2. I plan on surprising a few people.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

You get along with this guy a buddy of mine lol https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post13219630 also this website post in this thread will hate you but its cool because a RT dakota would be badass with a LS power plant https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...ld-happen.html
Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 AM

Yep. That was the first thread I glanced at.... I had an 85 d150 as my first truck. Since then its been dakotas. I'm 25 now. I wrecked my last kota so I parted it out and got this one. Actually, there's only one I've owned that I didn't wreck. Lol

I don't plan on building a motor. I'm going to find a powerplant and drop it in then make it look good. The amount of power increase just from the swap will make me happy. You gotta sink a couple grand into a 5.9 just to get to 300hp at the wheels. I'm cheating
Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Nice! I hope you plan on throwing a 6-speed behind it too I've always liked the look of those Dakotas (biased; my other vehicle is a 4x4 Dakota), and the build quality on them is miles ahead of the S10s. Oh, and I totally agree with what you are doing. The LS makes a ton more power than the 360s, and is a lot lighter too. That's what held me back from buying an R/T; those engines make no power and are HORRIBLE on gas. The 4.7 V8 in my lifted (~3") truck with mud tires and a 5-speed behind it gets much better gas mileage than a lowered 2wd R/T does.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:02 AM

Sup GoCart? Why no purple bicycle sig pic here? Lol

Maybe u sold it, traded it, or wrecked it?

Since my 94dakV8 is longggg gone. I figured id change my name up. Need to see if the dak mod gods will allow me to do the same.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

No, it's sitting at my parents house collecting dust haha. Think I've only rode it 5-6 times this whole year. I'm getting switched to day shift here pretty soon though so I will actually get a chance to play during the day some haha.