Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

NEW! 300zx to a Formula..big change!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW! 300zx to a Formula..big change!

Whats goin on guys (and girls)? Newb here to ls1tech...but not to the auto forum world.

Ok so i'll start off by explaining what I used to drive. I owned a 1990 Nissan 300zx non-turbo...which I absolutely loved. Heres a pic:

The 3.0 liter Twin-Cam V6 only put out about 225bhp...but not bad for an engine that was designed in the late 80's. The Twin Turbo model put on 300bhp...which was a big deal in the early 90's...it even beat the C4 vette in many critic reviews and road tests.

I ended up putting the car for sale on craigslist due to the fact she was nearing 200k miles and wanted a faster car that i could actually afford. Could have gotten a Twin Turbo 300zx, but no way i could afford the upkeep and maintenance. I also needed something bigger than a 2-seater after my recent purchase of a 70lb Boxer dog.

Shortly after listing the car for sale, a guy emailed me asking if i'd be interested in a trade for the 1996 Formula M6. I was very hesitant at first, but i agreed to go check the car out anyways. After thinking about it for a few days, I decided to go ahead with the even trade.

So here she is. Not much done to her other than a Jet Performance programmer (which i don't know much about), flowmaster muffler, and 01 SS wheels. I actually just finshed up doing the throttle body coolant bypass a couple hours ago.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about F-body's or the LT1 motor...but I'll be fine. The 300zx is known to be one of the hardest cars to work on ever produced (under the hood). So doing any work on the LT1 motor and rest of the car shouldnt be a problem for me.

I look forward to being a beneficial member of ls1tech and gaining alot of much needed knowledge about the LT1 and f-body's in general.

a little background about myself: I'm a Junior at Texas Tech university. I'm majoring in Electronic Media & Communications. Been around cars all my life and they have been my hobby ever since I could drive. I don't typically have a preference between American and Import cars...because i've owned both. The nissan 300zx is probably one of the only Japanese cars I'd ever drive because its definitely not another rice bucket.

Plans for the Formula...first I've gotta do something about the suspension. The 300zx handled like a dream, even with a stock suspension setup. I plan on doing something like the Eibach pro-kit springs and possibly KYB AGX struts to start off with. As for power upgrades...i'll leave the car alone for now until I get used to the increase in power. I don't want to build a crazy fast car before i get comfortable with how the car handles as it is now.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:48 AM
Staging Lane

Welcome to LS1tech

Both the rides look nice.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:00 AM
Launching!

Welcome to the forum. I don't post much on here, but I read a lot of the threads. I've actually always wanted a 300zx (which is the reason I'm posting in your thread). I love the way those cars look and I've always wanted one of the TT'ed versions, but they're highly sought after and cost quite a bit more than a f-body. I drive a 96 WS6, and I love it. Granted it's not the fastest car out there by any means...but it's plenty for me. I'm the same way when it comes to not wanting to build a fast car before I can handle it. I'd rather just keep it clean looking and enjoy it rather than spend an arm and a leg modding a car that is too much for me. My car is a A4 with 373 gears, lowered, and a few other suspension mods. Well I'm rambling now, so I guess I'll stop. I hope you enjoy your car and welcome to the site. There's a lot of good information on here. Just remember be safe and enjoy it.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by mhayes2344
Welcome to the forum. I don't post much on here, but I read a lot of the threads. I've actually always wanted a 300zx (which is the reason I'm posting in your thread). I love the way those cars look and I've always wanted one of the TT'ed versions, but they're highly sought after and cost quite a bit more than a f-body. I drive a 96 WS6, and I love it. Granted it's not the fastest car out there by any means...but it's plenty for me. I'm the same way when it comes to not wanting to build a fast car before I can handle it. I'd rather just keep it clean looking and enjoy it rather than spend an arm and a leg modding a car that is too much for me. My car is a A4 with 373 gears, lowered, and a few other suspension mods. Well I'm rambling now, so I guess I'll stop. I hope you enjoy your car and welcome to the site. There's a lot of good information on here. Just remember be safe and enjoy it.
Haha yeah man people here are probably going to get sick of me talking about the Z...but hell it was a $40,000 sports car back in the early 90's and many are still holding their value pretty well.

Hopefully within the next month i'll be lowering my Formula a bit to improve looks and handling.

I will be safe with this car....I've been babying it so much since I bought her...only get on the throttle when I know it's safe enough
Old 11-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

I always wanted a 300ZX TT
Old 11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to Sam Strano. He's a sponsor on here and is the suspension whiz on this board. He'll point you in the right direction on modding the suspension, because there are some pretty useless products you can **** your money away on.

Welcome to the board, and remeber search is your friend.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by AronZ28

haha yes I know. I've got nearly 2,000 posts on www.300zxclub.com, and trust me I know all to well how annoying noobs can be.

I've actually been lurking on this site for about 2 weeks now doing searches and gaining lots of knowledge, however I didnt join until last night. Before becoming a member i've already learned a few things and applied them to the car (such as the TB coolant bypass and headlight motor fix)
Old 11-30-2007, 02:41 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Talk to Sam Strano. He's a sponsor on here and is the suspension whiz on this board. He'll point you in the right direction on modding the suspension, because there are some pretty useless products you can **** your money away on.

+1, If you want it to handle you're going to talk to Sam.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Welcome to the forums.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SumGuyFromTX86
Plans for the Formula...first I've gotta do something about the suspension. The 300zx handled like a dream, even with a stock suspension setup. I plan on doing something like the Eibach pro-kit springs and possibly KYB AGX struts to start off with. As for power upgrades...i'll leave the car alone for now until I get used to the increase in power. I don't want to build a crazy fast car before i get comfortable with how the car handles as it is now.
If you are looking for handling do NOT go with that setup, trust me. While Eibach and KYB might make good suspension for Japanese cars, they dont know WTF they are doing when it comes to F-bodies.
Like already said, call up Sam strano at stranoparts.com, he is a multi champion auto-xer with his Camaro. With his springs, bars, and Koni SA's my car handles unbelievably good, and ride really good too.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Launching!

welcome brother. nice rides by the way. hope you enjoy the change!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice z man. I had a z31 before my ss. It always broke. I was running a t3/t4 and a 150 shot and blew my **** up lol. You will miss your z but it will be so nice not having to work on that pita car. Welcome to the f body club
Old 11-30-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Resident

last shot of the formy is beautiful man! good find!
the 300zx'x are hard to work on true that, the lt1's arent as bad but tune ups freakin suck!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Teching In

welcome, i just made the nissan to ls1 switch. 97 nissan 240sx with a bunch of bolt ons to a 02 z28. differance in power is crazy, but i do miss the 240sx for the twistys.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:45 PM

Thanks for directing me to Sam Strano...lol the eibach/KYB setup is what I had on the Z and it was pretty nice. I guess the suspension design is completely different between the two cars so i'll definitely look in to a better setup. I know the f-body's make good drag cars for straight line pulls, but honestly after working at a drag strip for 4 years, i'm bored with the whole straight line deal. I love driving a car that handles like its on rails and going through twisties and whatnot. Heh, body roll is evil.

ok so looks like a tore the coolant line when i did the TB bypass....so i'm leaking coolant everywhere. After the car cools down enough, i'll be out there repairing that easy fix.

Juicy J - haha the Z31 is known as the "ugly step-child" of the Z cars family tree. Stock, those cars never held up to the competition...so when the 1990 Z32 came out in late '89, it changed the sports car world along with the RX-7.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you think a 300zx is bad, try putting a set of longtubes in that LT1 with poly motor mounts, have fun

welcome though!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

My brother has a 300zx 1990 and that thing is a pain to work on. Every time go to work on that car i wonder who thought it would be a good idea to have only 1/2 inch of clearence on any side of the motor.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I used to always want a 300zx too. Those cars are badass. I would have kept it over the formula. I think that formula was actually for sale on here. Did you get in DFW and does it have well over 100k miles on it? should ahve kept the 300zx man. JMHO.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Welcome...the 300 looked very nice and was tastefully done.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you gotta lose the SS wheels, they do not look right at all on your car.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Restricted User

welcome