LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 Hot Cam Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 Hot Cam Question?

Ok guys , i have a 96 trans am with lt1, and the ONLY thing i have done to this car is , pacesetter longtubes, deleted egr/air/cats/rear 02, k&n cai. The engine itself is all stock, and there is a guy selling his hot cam for an lt1, and whenever it comes to cam talk i DO NOT know anything about it. But the cam he has is 278 duration 525 lift, whatever in the hell that means i have no clue. I was just curious with a stock engine that i have , will this cam work and what will i have to change out? like would i just pull my cam out and put this one in? Like i said i have NO CLUE what to do, so any info would help ALOT !!!!

Also what all needs to be done for a cam swap, like to get the cam in and do i need a tune afterwards?
Thanks again
Old 10-15-2008, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

If you read my cam sticky at the top of this forum you will learn everything you need to know! Yes a tune will be absolutely mandatory.

Make sure to read the entire guide carefully especially part 2 which talks about the valvetrain/gaskets etc. that are also mandatory for a cam swap:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/836200-stock-head-cam-cam-swap-guide.html
Old 10-15-2008, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

pretty sure the duration is 218/228 or something like that. The hotcam is very old technology, its not a bad cam just a old design. I would go with something different if your looking for more power. There are tons of choices and you already have the most important supporting mod(headers) so you can pick whatever you like.

Unless this is a give away or a steal of a deal i would pass it up in favor of something newer, more powerful, etc. You will need a PCM tune to get the full gains from the cam and rockers. It will also help with driveability.

Search cam swap and you will find a parts list. Good Luck.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much is he selling you the cam for??
Old 10-15-2008, 05:03 PM
12 Second Club

Search Hot Cam And See What Everyone Has To Say, Its Like An Enemy Plane Flying Over Home Territory. Everyone Shoots That Thing Down. Much Better Options Out There For Close To Same Prices.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Launching!

well this guy owns 4 trans am and 2 camaros and he doesnt have any more lt1's so he has a buuuunnnch of parts he is trying to get rid of ,like a polished intake elbow for 20 and this cam he wants 50 bucks for thats it ....so i was just curious if its worth it and what i will have to do in order to get a cam swap done, like springs ,rockers or if i just could take my cam out and put this one back in and thats all, like i said i do NOT whatsoever know this stuff whenever it comes to cams, i am a bolt on guy so i dont know !!
thanks
Old 10-15-2008, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll need new springs and a tune. Depends what your goal is for the car, if you want a cruiser, and a car with great street maners and a little bit of get up and go this is the cam for you.

If your wanting a quick car and want a full weight 12.5 second or quicker car It would be your best interest to wait, save your money for some highend/good quality parts and choose to go with a different cam.

Austin
Old 10-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Launching!

well i only drive this car on saturday or sunday
Old 10-15-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

dont believe all the hate about that cam. most people dont know crap about it but once they read people talking about it on a forum, they take it as the gospel. if you can get a good tune it will be a very fun car to drive. i like mine a lot. it became even more fun once i got the 3,000 stall. its a completely differnet car now. its exactly what i wanted out of it. but its not for everybody.....

do research first about what you want out of the car and then buy parts
Old 10-15-2008, 06:27 PM
12 Second Club

for some reason i knew badazz was gunna come in and say that, and i agree with him its not bad, but neither is alot of things, just doesnt necesarily make it good. i mean look at him he is hitting a 13.00 with a cam and a stall and bolt on's personally i think he should be quiet a bit quicker had he chosen another cam.
but at the same time like you said, if you can get it for 50 bucks i'd say thats a good *** deal.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by camarostripes96
well this guy owns 4 trans am and 2 camaros and he doesnt have any more lt1's so he has a buuuunnnch of parts he is trying to get rid of ,like a polished intake elbow for 20 and this cam he wants 50 bucks for thats it ....so i was just curious if its worth it and what i will have to do in order to get a cam swap done, like springs ,rockers or if i just could take my cam out and put this one back in and thats all, like i said i do NOT whatsoever know this stuff whenever it comes to cams, i am a bolt on guy so i dont know !!
thanks
like I already said, this will answer all your questions:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836200

On a side note I am not one to typically defend the hot cam but for $50 and if it provides what you want out of the car then by all means I say do it.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

i have the hotcam in my dads lt1 and we got the cam and valvetrain kit for a $100 so we said what the hell and did it. i think when you get to the point you have it all apart and your only getting what 15-20rwhp out of a cam i dont think its worth putting it in. the new comp xfi cams are still small duration but make awesome lift and more power. imo i would go a bit a bigger so you get your moneys worth out of it. hotcam, long tubes, catback, 1.6rr i put down 320rwhp through an a4 with 3.42 gears. for what it costs for a new cam id do it and your easily 330+rwhp cam only.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
for some reason i knew badazz was gunna come in and say that, and i agree with him its not bad, but neither is alot of things, just doesnt necesarily make it good. i mean look at him he is hitting a 13.00 with a cam and a stall and bolt on's personally i think he should be quiet a bit quicker had he chosen another cam.
but at the same time like you said, if you can get it for 50 bucks i'd say thats a good *** deal.

actually the 13.0sec run was with a stock transmission. the cam kit alone dropped me 1 full sec in the 1/4. a good gain if you ask me from a much hated cam

not that im defending it, im just saying if you want a fun street car that still drives somewhat stock but gives a nice gain in power and sounds good, go for it and see if you like it.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:26 PM
Launching!

i thought my hotcam was great... i made 416 rwhp in my 383 with a hotcam and ported stock heads, and passed emission tests better than stock. i would defanetly run the hotcam again even thou its "old technlogy" most hotcam hater have never run one and are usualy reposting somone else opinion..
Old 10-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Launching!

oh well, if i did do it , what all will i need, like could i just change out cam for cam, like take my stock one out and put that one in? or do u have to do more stuff like springs and rockers?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lmao your killing me. First stealth came in here and posted his cam sticky...WHICH TELLS YOU EVERY THING YOU WOULD NEED.
then i come in and say springs and a tune are a must...Then stealth come in again and offers his sticky...are you blind?

Im usually really nice to these types of posts but when the information has been given and given you my friend are a lost cause.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned

The guy thats selling him the cam told him he could just take the stock cam out and put the used H/C in and call it good. WOW....
Old 10-15-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Hotcam is a great cam. I can't stand when people say it's a crap cam

here are some vids proving it's a pretty nice mild cam

Hotcam+bolt on car with mildly ported heads. Raping on C6's and SRT10's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-aYOSN2Q-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LlRX5P2Vqc
Old 10-15-2008, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1badzee

nice setup on that. i was going to get the hot cam kit off summit.
but i bought a cc503 and with everything even the water pump and chain i only have 400 more dollars in it
Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1badzee

I agree. I think most like to knock it because it's a older cam and it's nothing to rowdy.

Quick Reply: Lt1 Hot Cam Question?