Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strut install question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut install question.

I'm about to install replacement struts on my car. I have the top isolator but missing the bottom one I think they are call the "indexer" Is this needed for the install if so does anyone have a part number. I checked online and all I can find is the top isolator.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:42 PM
Launching!

Found a picture of the bottom isolator I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Strut install question.-0711gm_09_z-2001_chevy_camaro-.jpg  

Last edited by kraemer94; 10-20-2008 at 05:48 AM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you're talking about the rubber donut that's installed near the tops of the shocks, i'm pretty sure there's not one that goes on the bottom......in the front, i think the springs just sit directly on the metal perch that's attached about halfway down the shock, and in the rear, the springs sit in metal perches that are built into the rear axle assembly.

it would be pretty pointless to have an isolator on the bottom, since the top is the only way any noticeable amount of vibration/shock is going to be transmitted to the body/chassis of the car.....plus, the springs stay at least partially compressed between the top isolator and the spring perch all the time anyway, unless you're out there jumping **** Dukes-of-Hazzard-style.....and probably even then (at least in the front), unless you have lowering springs that drop the ride height by a lot......
Old 10-20-2008, 05:48 AM
Launching!

I got the top ones. But if you look at the picture that I posted you will see the one I'm talking about. I just want to make sure I don;t need it so I won't have to do the install twice.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes, you need the item in that picture. It makes sure the spring sits level in the cup.

I looked on O'Reilly's web site and found "Front spring seat", which might be what you need. MOOG - Front Spring Seat Item No: K80927

Your best bet is to call them up, see if they have it in stock, then go see if that's the part you need.

-Mike
Old 10-20-2008, 06:37 AM
Launching!

Thanks Mike
Old 10-20-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
if you're talking about the rubber donut that's installed near the tops of the shocks, i'm pretty sure there's not one that goes on the bottom......in the front, i think the springs just sit directly on the metal perch that's attached about halfway down the shock, and in the rear, the springs sit in metal perches that are built into the rear axle assembly.

it would be pretty pointless to have an isolator on the bottom, since the top is the only way any noticeable amount of vibration/shock is going to be transmitted to the body/chassis of the car.....plus, the springs stay at least partially compressed between the top isolator and the spring perch all the time anyway, unless you're out there jumping **** Dukes-of-Hazzard-style.....and probably even then (at least in the front), unless you have lowering springs that drop the ride height by a lot......
Yes there is. I'm not sure how badly it's needed or not, but I would always want it there. I don't remember how the spring sits exactly, but if it's angled slightly in the perch then that would cause the spring to compress wrong and bow to the side. It might be minimal/neglegible possibly, but I figured I'd toss it out there for people to think about at least...

I'd recommend keeping it on.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Yes, you need the item in that picture. It makes sure the spring sits level in the cup.

I looked on O'Reilly's web site and found "Front spring seat", which might be what you need. MOOG - Front Spring Seat Item No: K80927

Your best bet is to call them up, see if they have it in stock, then go see if that's the part you need.

-Mike

I bought a set of those for a race car and had some issues.

The 2 studs sticking up were fine. But the inserts that have the bolts screw into them had a thread problem, causing the insert to spin. Couldn't get either bolt to tighten.

So, I drilled them out and used a grade 8 3/8" bolt and nylock.

I now chase the threads with a bolts to make sure there are no issues BEFORE installation.

Just an FYI
Old 10-20-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mitchntx
I bought a set of those for a race car and had some issues.

The 2 studs sticking up were fine. But the inserts that have the bolts screw into them had a thread problem, causing the insert to spin. Couldn't get either bolt to tighten.

So, I drilled them out and used a grade 8 3/8" bolt and nylock.

I now chase the threads with a bolts to make sure there are no issues BEFORE installation.

Just an FYI
I think we're talking about different things. What you're describing is the upper mount thingamobob that gets mounted to the shock tower. I believe he's talking about the isolator dealamahooch that sits in the perch and makes sure the last coil sits level.

-Mike
Old 10-20-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think you are correct. Sorry about the hijack.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Would anyone have these forsale right now? I would have to order from O reilly's as they don't stock the part.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You are correct these are called a Spring Indexer (in some catalogs they are also called insulators) and are necessary when installing new shocks/springs.

The Monroe number is 904962. This comes with the indexer as well as the perch for 10.66 per shock. I have ordered these and know they are the right part number personally.

The GM part number for the indexer is 22113814. Last time I bought them they were $5.47 a piece plus shipping.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

What happened to your old one? If you're replacing shocks, the old ones should have the indexer.

-Mike
Old 10-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Launching!

I bought a used set of Koni's and spring setup that was ready to install but notice that part was not installed. I was planning on using my stock setup on my older Camaro DD.

Quick Reply: Strut install question.