LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Can you rip all this stuff out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 10:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Can you rip all this stuff out?

http://shbox.com/1/emission_hose_routing.jpg

can u just rip all this stuff out and just cap it? what do u need to keep? anything? i've been putting off ripping out emissions for awhile, just wanna make sure this is a good chart to go by...
Old 11-08-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You seem like you would know this stuff with the post count and stats in your sig... Anyway, you can remove most if not all of it. Assuming your asking about a stockish car?...
----------------------------------------------
REMOVE
- Secondary Air can go. Remove the pump, remove the fittings on the manifolds along with all piping and hoses and just cap/plug the manifold fittings. You will have an SES light for not having the pump hooked up.

- EGR can go. Remove the flex tube from the passenger side manifold and remove the valve on the back of the intake manifold. Cap the vacuum line(s) and you'll need block off plates for the back of the intake and that exhaust manifold spot. Again, you'll have an SES light for having this disconnected.

- Evap can go. remove the solenoid and vacuum tubes and cap as applicable. There is the issue of how far you want to go with removing it. There's the 3rd plastic line that runs with the two fuel lines and you'll have to vent it still. Either under the hood, in the fender or yank it all out back to the charcoal canister in the driver side quarter panel. Again, I think there will be a SES light for unhooking this.
---------------------------------------
KEEP
- Now, your left with the CCV and PCV which I personally would leave be but, your choice to leave it or stick breathers on the valve covers.

- The distributor ventilation is important for the opti obviously. I capped that on mine since I'm using a delteq unit and dont have the spark going through my opti anymore.

- Lastly, theres the HVAC which I would leave. Unless for some reason you have some other configuration I'm not familiar with.
You asked so, there's my answer. Oh, and the SES lights that may come on wont cause any problems with how it runs. Just your run of the mill idiot light telling you the pieces aren't working (duh, they're gone). Just get'em tuned out.

Last edited by hyperzone; 11-09-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-09-2008, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Here is a good guide to go by if you want to get rid of all the junk..

Intake Ducting- straight to the Engine, the only thing that should be coming off of it is the Line for the Vent if it's a Vented OPTI.

Intake Manifold- Just the Vacumn Lines for the Brake Booster, PCV System, EVAP, and the Vents.

Headers- Nothing, they shoud just flow Exhaust straight out.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

i justw ant to make sure i dont pull anything out that i need... i havent ventured into removing anything under the hood yet
Old 11-09-2008, 08:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you can take out every thing that say EGR

I guess you could add PCV
Old 11-09-2008, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

To comment on the evap canister. When I bought my car...the guy before me rigged up the canister and it ended up almost falling off the car. So it wasn't hooked up on two of the threee fuel lines and wasn't working propery...I did not have an ses light. If you remove all the electrical parts under the hood it might light up the ses.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

usally only on a OBDII car will u get a SES for EVAP. The OBD II are very picky about emissions tampering
Old 11-11-2008, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

im not talking about throwing codes, i just mean mechanically, none of that crap will effect how the car runs correct? the car will still run fine with no issues if i tear out every single thing on the chart will it not?
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

The way I explained it in my post above is how my car is setup and I have had no problems.

Only one I would be iffy with is the PCV/CCV because it is necessary to my knowledge but, you can substitute valvecover breathers and remove the hoses which some people do.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is removeing all this stuff really benificial to its perf. gain, meaning, how much will it gain HP wize??
Old 11-11-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I doubt you'll gain any HP from this. Its more of a appearance mod and way to make your life easier when you have to do any work.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:42 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hyperzone
I doubt you'll gain any HP from this. Its more of a appearance mod and way to make your life easier when you have to do any work.
bingo! and weight reduction
Old 11-12-2008, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, it has nothing to do with performance. It is basically a holding tank for gas fumes. If you remove it the gas fumes will just be expelled into the atmosphere from the pressure relief valve on the gas tank. When it is installed it holds the extra fumes from the tank and uses them later as the system purges them up to the intake. Removing it will not change much...the fumes probably don't even amount to 0.005 mpg...lol.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

so u can remove everything and just add a breather on the valve cover?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hyperzone
You seem like you would know this stuff with the post count and stats in your sig... Anyway, you can remove most if not all of it. Assuming your asking about a stockish car?...
----------------------------------------------
REMOVE
- Secondary Air can go. Remove the pump, remove the fittings on the manifolds along with all piping and hoses and just cap/plug the manifold fittings. You will have an SES light for not having the pump hooked up.

- EGR can go. Remove the flex tube from the passenger side manifold and remove the valve on the back of the intake manifold. Cap the vacuum line(s) and you'll need block off plates for the back of the intake and that exhaust manifold spot. Again, you'll have an SES light for having this disconnected.

- Evap can go. remove the solenoid and vacuum tubes and cap as applicable. There is the issue of how far you want to go with removing it. There's the 3rd plastic line that runs with the two fuel lines and you'll have to vent it still. Either under the hood, in the fender or yank it all out back to the charcoal canister in the driver side quarter panel. Again, I think there will be a SES light for unhooking this.
KEEP
- Now, your left with the CCV and PCV which I personally would leave be but, your choice to leave it or stick breathers on the valve covers.

- The distributor ventilation is important for the opti obviously. I capped that on mine since I'm using a delteq unit and dont have the spark going through my opti anymore.

- Lastly, theres the HVAC which I would leave. Unless for some reason you have some other configuration I'm not familiar with.
You asked so, there's my answer. Oh, and the SES lights that may come on wont cause any problems with how it runs. Just your run of the mill idiot light telling you the pieces aren't working (duh, they're gone). Just get'em tuned out.
i replaced my stock air flow lid with a mti high flow lid and now i have a hose that has nowhere to connect to. it was connected to the intake component that is right after the stock lid(don't know what it is) and now it's just tucked under some stuff and i really don't want to leave it that way. first, is this hose part of the secondary air system? what is the secondary air system? and where can i get a breather for that hose? i tried a search with kragen and autozone but they turned up no results. can someone help me please? thanks.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws-6driver
i replaced my stock air flow lid with a mti high flow lid and now i have a hose that has nowhere to connect to. it was connected to the intake component that is right after the stock lid(don't know what it is) and now it's just tucked under some stuff and i really don't want to leave it that way. first, is this hose part of the secondary air system? what is the secondary air system? and where can i get a breather for that hose? i tried a search with kragen and autozone but they turned up no results. can someone help me please? thanks.
If you dont have CATs or, even if you do but dont give a crap about emissions,... secondary air is BS that you dont need, period. ditch the secondary air pump, hoses, and fittings and tune out the SES light for it.

Confused about your lid/hose question... only hose I remember having on my LT1 intake ducting was the little blue 90* elbow connected to a small rubber hose that fed fresh air to the opti.

Last edited by hyperzone; 11-13-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry if I am thread jacking.. but i just bought a 95 trans am no motor.. and i recently wrecked my 97 Trans am.. pulled the motor. well to get to the point
I was wondering while the motors out can I pull all this now? or wait to get it running? assuming its all the same as this one on the Camaro.. And does anyone have picture of all this stuff I would take out because I know very little about lt1's(have other ls1's).. just how to pull them out and stuff them in pretty much.

Quick Reply: Can you rip all this stuff out?