Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need big time help here! (what sounds like it's broke?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 05:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need big time help here! (what sounds like it's broke?)

I just put my g5x-2 cam in with all the goodies including jesel ss rockers.I have an all bolt on car except for the cam. It's a 02 ss 6-speed with mccloud twin disk and 4:10's
I made good power on the dyno (tuning) of course and i put about 300-400 miles on the car since.
But today I was driving it and warmed it up by driving it for about 45 minutes under 45 mph.Oh yeah i did heat cycle the springs (rev duals) twice. many miles ago upon completion. now when i got on it and shifted around 6800 rpm into second with mass wheel spin from a roll. I got a funny feeling in the car ,no ses light but it did sound real fucked up and now when you give it some gas it doesn't have **** worth power. It still makes a weird vibration/noise...almost like something is broke, but WHERE? The rear is not leaking, but i don't know
The question is, is it the rear, the springs? what the hell is wrong, i'm so frustrated now.
Old 09-21-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: I need big time help here! (what sounds like it's broke?)

sounds like a broken valve spring like I had, wait till the SES comes on to find out which one, then pull the code, and do a spring swap.
good luck
-Steve
Old 09-21-2003, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try pulling the valve covers see if all the valves are the same height you may have bent a valve or pushrod did you put hardened rods in.
Old 09-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Teching In

wicked, I have titanium retainers,titanium valve seats, rev dual springs, comp cams hardened pushrods,jesel ss rockers
Old 09-21-2003, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a broken valve spring like I had, wait till the SES comes on to find out which one, then pull the code, and do a spring swap.
good luck
-Steve
Do NOT wait for ANY SES light. Stop driving the car immediately and pull the valve covers off. Check ALL of the springs to see if any are broken. I repeat, do NOT drive it until you confirm that there are no broken springs.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good luck
-Steve
Do NOT wait for ANY SES light. Stop driving the car immediately and pull the valve covers off. Check ALL of the springs to see if any are broken. I repeat, do NOT drive it until you confirm that there are no broken springs.
I agree do not drive or even start the car take it from someone who knows what 14 bent valves look like [broken timingchain]
Old 09-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Launching!

I would definitely pull the rocker covers and check the springs. If all looks good then check the compression on each cylinder which will tell you if you have a bent valve, it sure did on mine: 215psi on all cyl. except #7 which had 110psi. Removed the head and sure enough, it was bent ever so slightly. Guess I didn't cut my relief deep enough on that cylinder.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

Definately dont keep driving the car till a light comes on lol. If you feel something is wrong then you are more than likely right. Its your butt that sits in the drivers seat everyday and you know how it should feel, it is also your *** pocket that repairs will be coming out of. If you continue driving it until that inner spring breaks then you could be building yourself a new engine instead of replacing a valve spring. Best of luck.