LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 in a s10 performance upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 in a s10 performance upgrade

I have a 95 lt1/t56 in my 93s10 regular cab, short bed and this is the list of mods i have in it.
-ported intake manifold
-custom CAI w/ k&n airfilter
-shorty 1-5/8th inch headers
-msd wireset w/ acdelco plat. spark plugs
-flowmaster40 orig. muffler w/ magnaflow cat. Its pretty much stock from the headers to the cat, than its 2.25 inch from the muffler to straight out back.
-b&m short throw shifter.
-dual 11inch electric fans.

Heres my question, whats the best bang for the buck on this thing that would get me the best perforamcne that wont suffer the mpgs too much? I run about 13-15.5mpgs with this setup in my truck now, but thats with not using 6th gear due to the gears being too tall, 3.42s.

So besides the eaton posi and either 3.73/4.10 gears, what woudl be the next best thing money wise that will open this baby up and not suffer mpgs too much?

This is what i was thinking, either
-ported TB
-Mild Cam

theres probably more but i can only think of those two off the top of my head. I am leaving out a true dual exhaust as a possible upgrade due to i am going to go that route anyways, so besides that what is the best HP/$$ ratio for this? Heres some pics for you guys

Old 11-27-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Regular

POSI is a must at the track if you dont have it already. one tire fire's dont post good 60 footers. lol.

catback would give a decent gain. its probably the bottleneck in the system now being single 2.25"

a cam would really wake the LT1 up. check the stickey for stock head / bigger cam guide.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by impaled
POSI is a must at the track if you dont have it already. one tire fire's dont post good 60 footers. lol.

catback would give a decent gain. its probably the bottleneck in the system now being single 2.25"

a cam would really wake the LT1 up. check the stickey for stock head / bigger cam guide.
first off, posi is already in the works, just need to find out wat i need to get to do the swap, the rear is a 8.5 out of a 02 blazer and it was a open diff. SO i need everything to do the posi swap

Secondly, its not single outlet, its single in/out muffler to a y pipe, than split rear. Still not the 2.5 mandral bent true duals i want but it does ok.

But with those bolt ons i have , what hp numbers you think? Crank HP/ RWHP?

and a mild cam would give this stock motor how much hp/tq?
Old 11-27-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
first off, posi is already in the works, just need to find out wat i need to get to do the swap, the rear is a 8.5 out of a 02 blazer and it was a open diff. SO i need everything to do the posi swap

Secondly, its not single outlet, its single in/out muffler to a y pipe, than split rear. Still not the 2.5 mandral bent true duals i want but it does ok.
good to see that posi is in the works.

the exhaust should be fine there for now, although not optimal.

are far as HP/TQ check the lt1 dyno number / time stickey and compare.

a mild cam with 1.6 RR's should be good for around 350 rwhp/tq. the crane 227 would probably be a good choice.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

good to see that posi is in the works.

the exhaust should be fine there for now, although not optimal.

are far as HP/TQ check the lt1 dyno number / time stickey and compare.

a mild cam with 1.6 RR's should be good for around 350 rwhp/tq. the crane 227 would probably be a good choice.
i was told the ithink its called the cc503 cam would be a good choise.
Old 11-27-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

i was told the ithink its called the cc503 cam would be a good choise.

from what i have read its a good cam, but not exactly mild as you asked about earlier.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

from what i have read its a good cam, but not exactly mild as you asked about earlier.
how far from a mild cam is it? Pretty much i am looking for something that is worth the effort of putting one in. I want to get alot more power, but still be streetable. I dunno how cams do in these motors, but is a 25+ hp a small amount to gain with this motort on a mild cam? Or can i acheieve more?
Old 11-27-2008, 06:20 PM
TECH Regular

how far from a mild cam is it? Pretty much i am looking for something that is worth the effort of putting one in. I want to get alot more power, but still be streetable. I dunno how cams do in these motors, but is a 25+ hp a small amount to gain with this motort on a mild cam? Or can i acheieve more?
neither is mild compared to stock. it is relative. you would pickup solid gains with any cam and 1.6RR's

the crane 227 would be a little bit stronger through the lower to middle powerband, but will still help out well on the top end. so basically its torquier than the comp 503.

the comp 503 is going to be more of a topend cam. with a higher powerband and redline.

i am not familiar with S10's and LT1's as well as your personal preferences.

the crane 227 would have more of a usable range for daily driving (not to say that you couldnt DD the comp 503)

but if you have traction issues the 503 may be better because you would probably spin less considering the higher powerband.

so it all comes down to, what do you want to do with the truck? have a quick DD? do a lot of drag racing?

if you are shooting for a solid power DD mostly street driven i would probably go for the crane 227. that is just all based on my personal opinion and research.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

neither is mild compared to stock. it is relative. you would pickup solid gains with any cam and 1.6RR's

the crane 227 would be a little bit stronger through the lower to middle powerband, but will still help out well on the top end. so basically its torquier than the comp 503.

the comp 503 is going to be more of a topend cam. with a higher powerband and redline.

i am not familiar with S10's and LT1's as well as your personal preferences.

the crane 227 would have more of a usable range for daily driving (not to say that you couldnt DD the comp 503)

but if you have traction issues the 503 may be better because you would probably spin less considering the higher powerband.

so it all comes down to, what do you want to do with the truck? have a quick DD? do a lot of drag racing?

if you are shooting for a solid power DD mostly street driven i would probably go for the crane 227. that is just all based on my personal opinion and research.

yes this will not be a weekedn warrior. It will be a fast/quick street truck. That is wat i am trying to get. Traction is a issue sinc ei have no wieght at the backend. THough i want to get traction bars at some point in time, but posi comes first.

But by all means, i want this thing to be a quick street truck, but go to the track every so often and run in the low 13s. I dunno if its possilbe with the cams suggested above with the rest of my mods and DR's to run like 13.0 or below.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Regular

But by all means, i want this thing to be a quick street truck, but go to the track every so often and run in the low 13s. I dunno if its possilbe with the cams suggested above with the rest of my mods and DR's to run like 13.0 or below.

i think that low 13's wouldnt be an issue with either cam assuming traction.

i am not familiar with s-10's suspension, but saw another s-10 (maybe sonoma) on here that was running 9's in the quarter and cutting 1.2X 60 footers.

with that 60 foot time that that posted anything is possible with suspension.

for sure you could high run 12's done right with a cam, suspension, and DR's.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think that low 13's wouldnt be an issue with either cam assuming traction.

i am not familiar with s-10's suspension, but saw another s-10 (maybe sonoma) on here that was running 9's in the quarter and cutting 1.2X 60 footers.

with that 60 foot time that that posted anything is possible with suspension.

for sure you could high run 12's done right with a cam, suspension, and DR's.
well like i stated before its the weight issue outback that is the problem. But i am trying to find another set or pair of the same wheels i have and get dr's like 255.50.16s so i can swapthem on when i got tothe track and not look like a idiot with two different wheels, lol

But suspensions stock, besides drop leaf springs and 1 or 2 inch drop blocks. Besdies that, its a stock suspension.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

put a nos kit on it. thats the best mod i ever did. lol
Old 11-27-2008, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TravisMcGill2000
put a nos kit on it. thats the best mod i ever did. lol
nah no nos. To tell you the truth i just want a part upgrade that will give me more power for a decent price. I might not even do the cam in the end and just do the gears and posi and be done with it. I think with the 4.10s and a posi i will get where i want to be especially with DR's. Might need that money elsewhere.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the CC503 would be a pretty good choice of cam. Also, if you're just looking for a low 13 second pass, you're probably already there (power wise) considering the big weight difference in an Fbody and reg cab short bed S10.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tspence45
I think the CC503 would be a pretty good choice of cam. Also, if you're just looking for a low 13 second pass, you're probably already there (power wise) considering the big weight difference in an Fbody and reg cab short bed S10.
^ that maybe true, but its the ''no wieght in the rear'' that kills the truck.

Heres the thing, i read that the cc503 is the biggest you can go with stock AL heads, but passing emissions is, well a maybe.

With my mods listed above, what would u say i would gain HP/TQ wise from the cc503 cam VS. the Cran 227 cam?
Old 11-28-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are may s10s with small blocks in them with a considerable amount of power that work just fine. these truck do transfer weight pretty nicely you need to visit v8s10.org, s10v8.com,lt4blazer.net you will see plenty and learn even more.
there are quite a few of us than have v8 s10s that have no problem with traction
Old 11-28-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

well like i stated before its the weight issue outback that is the problem.

But suspensions stock, besides drop leaf springs and 1 or 2 inch drop blocks. Besdies that, its a stock suspension.
logically, if you cant get traction with the power you have now, you probably wouldnt be any better off with significantly more power.

maybe you should do some suspension work and forget about the cam.

i would start with some adjustable shocks and struts for it (i would go for Koni), as they adjust well. which will help out with weight transfer.

put some air bags on the rear and experiment with them. that should help it stick a little bit better.

subframe connectors would allow for less flex of the chassis and help with the traction aspect.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subframe connectors would allow for less flex of the chassis and help with the traction aspect.

S10s are full frame.

Try some Caltrac bars on the rear. They work extremely well.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96lt1m6
there are may s10s with small blocks in them with a considerable amount of power that work just fine. these truck do transfer weight pretty nicely you need to visit v8s10.org, s10v8.com,lt4blazer.net you will see plenty and learn even more.
there are quite a few of us than have v8 s10s that have no problem with traction
ya i am a member of the v8s10.org too, i like that site, but this one is more based on the camaros, so i like to talk to the camaro based ppl for more definate answers.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94FBIRD
S10s are full frame.

Try some Caltrac bars on the rear. They work extremely well.
ya i was thinking of doin something like that. Like i said above i am a member of hte v8s10.org and theres a dude that makes traction bars damn near similar to the caltracs, but are ment for lowered s10s. Mine would be either 5 or 6 inch drop in the rear with 25.7-26 inch tall tires, so i dont want them to be a half a inch off the ground. I think thats why the caltracs arent common with lowerd s10s. If you look at the pic i have above, thats just a 3 inch drop w/ 3inch blocks. Just imagine where the leafs would be at lets say 5 inches, 3 inch drop leafs and 2 inch blocks. I want to be able to have them driven all the time and not worry about them catching something and tearing my rear end suspension out, you know wat i mean?

Quick Reply: lt1 in a s10 performance upgrade