Sports hernia

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sports hernia

Has anyone here ever had a inguinal hernia repair (sprots hernia)?

If so, how long did it take you to recover and be able to go the the gym and workout?

I got operated on at the end of Aug '08 and I feel like I might me able to start working out again. (no heavy weights)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

i had to get that done in high school. did they use the net like webbing?

took me about 2 months before i could really do anything streneous
Old 12-01-2008, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I can still feel that mesh inside there, the skin on top of it still feels a bit "numb" and I wonder if it'll ever go away.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

How was the surgery? Pain-wise? lol. I have to get it done sooner or later. I've had it for almost 2 years. You can't really tell though.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Powerhouse
How was the surgery? Pain-wise? lol. I have to get it done sooner or later. I've had it for almost 2 years. You can't really tell though.
better get that looked at and repaired soon. if its a incarcerated inguinal hernia it could kill you if it ruptures. i just had one fixed back in february /march. when i got mine i was in disbelief of how easily and quick it happened. i did what i could to ignore it for a few weeks. but the pain became too much to deal with. not much to it. one doctor visit and 5 hours later and it was fixed! the pain after surgery isnt much worse than the pain caused by dealing with it. after 2 weeks the pains completely gone. but you still know the mesh is in there.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PERFECT Z28
Yeah, I can still feel that mesh inside there, the skin on top of it still feels a bit "numb" and I wonder if it'll ever go away.
that feeling and the swelling will be gone after 8-16 weeks. just watch how you bend for a lil while. didnt listen to the doctor about mine. 3 weeks later i had to get a reoperation when i tore it open. not cheap or fun the second time around! avoid getting into a low car or driving one with a manual tranny. that alone lead to me hurting myself.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
better get that looked at and repaired soon. if its a incarcerated inguinal hernia it could kill you if it ruptures. i just had one fixed back in february /march. when i got mine i was in disbelief of how easily and quick it happened. i did what i could to ignore it for a few weeks. but the pain became too much to deal with. not much to it. one doctor visit and 5 hours later and it was fixed! the pain after surgery isnt much worse than the pain caused by dealing with it. after 2 weeks the pains completely gone. but you still know the mesh is in there.
Yeah, I went to the emergency room when it happened. The Dr. told me it wasn't serious. He said if it were to get "stuck" then I'd have to go to the hospital. But I just need to get it over with I guess.

btw: I have no pain with mine.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what usually causes a hernia?
improper weight training form?
ive seen some gonzo dudes in the gym throwing around the weights in improper form.
yikes! 0_o
Old 12-02-2008, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

It can be from a lot of different things.
I played just about every high school sport, lifted weights during college, I've even trained MMA...I was in great shape when I pulled my hernia.
The doc said that some people just have a thin abdominal wall and it doesn't matter how big your 6-pack is...its a different type of muscle.

As far as the pain, I hurt myself in May, thought it was a strained abdominal muscle. I took a couple of weeks off. I tried doing some cardio and the pain just wouldn't go away. I ended up playing the first game of a basketball tournament at the end of summer and it felt like someone was stabbing me in my lower abdomen. At the end of the game I knew something had to F'd up. I went to doc the next day and he told me I had a direct inguinal hernia and that we should schedule surgery asap.
The pain after the surgery was freaking horrible (i didn't take the pain killers cause they made me sick) so I went natural. The first 5 days or so r very painful but it gets better.

To top it off I had sugery on my right hand (torn lumbrical muscle) mid Oct and I'm just now finishing up my physical therapy.

I went to the gym earlier and I started out on the threadmill then I got on the bike, cooled down and stretched. I feel fine now, but we'll see how I feel tomorrow...lol

No pain no gain, right?