Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Balancing question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing question

I just bought a set of TTMs they are balanced but not up to my par and i am getting a set of dr's for them soon. My question is how do you get them to banance without putting on the outside besides static balancing. What have you all done
Old 12-06-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Resident

As per GM, the correct way would be to put sticky weights directly in the center of the wheel. If the balancer calls for more than 1 ounce of weight, put 1 ounce in the center and the rest furthest on the inside. To be honest though, balancing the rears with drag radials or slicks is pointless. The first time you launch, the wheels will spin inside the tires and you will be out of balance.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
As per GM, the correct way would be to put sticky weights directly in the center of the wheel. If the balancer calls for more than 1 ounce of weight, put 1 ounce in the center and the rest furthest on the inside. To be honest though, balancing the rears with drag radials or slicks is pointless. The first time you launch, the wheels will spin inside the tires and you will be out of balance.
Thats really not the correct way, the balancers now a days or more advanced and they use a laser beam to show where the sticky weight should be.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fordeater
Thats really not the correct way, the balancers now a days or more advanced and they use a laser beam to show where the sticky weight should be.
You can argue with GM over that. There are all kinds of new balancers out there. You can hide the weight behind spokes, use lasers, a number of weight combos, etc. They also have road force balancers out there, etc. It's all bullshit though unless you have bead locks.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just go to a shop and have them "dynamicly" balanced with stickey weights.....that is the best way.....did my 315 et streets like that and they ride like my old stockers used to with the hammer on weights....
good luck.....
oh and another thing is nitrogen instead of oxygen...there isnt any moisture in it and holds a more consistant ride going down the road
Old 12-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
this is basicly a stock lt1 im sure the wheels wont spin in the tires.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
just go to a shop and have them "dynamicly" balanced with stickey weights.....that is the best way.....did my 315 et streets like that and they ride like my old stockers used to with the hammer on weights....
good luck.....
oh and another thing is nitrogen instead of oxygen...there isnt any moisture in it and holds a more consistant ride going down the road
that nitrogen **** is all in your head. regular air is 78% nitrogen already and it doesnt help that much i work at a shop and just wanted to see what others are doing because i know for a fact my wheels arent getting weights on the front side
Old 12-06-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 95_transam_lt1
this is basicly a stock lt1 im sure the wheels wont spin in the tires.
My stock LS1 spun the wheels inside the nittos. You will see. They will move all over the place.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok..........so if you know that much about it...then asking a question about balancing on tech is pretty much a waste of time....

GOOD LUCK PAL
Old 12-06-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
ok..........so if you know that much about it...then asking a question about balancing on tech is pretty much a waste of time....

GOOD LUCK PAL

Majority of imbalance will be felt through the FRONT wheels. You can believe what you want, but going through a lot of trouble and time to balance the rear tires the best possible way is a joke. I know, I learned the hard way. I even went as far as breaking the beads back down, making sure there was absolutely no residual lube left, and resetting the tires DRY. They still move, and it doesn't matter. There for it is pointless to balance drag radials or slicks.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:15 PM
FormerVendor

The best thing to do is to find a shop with a Hunter 9700 balancer. Not only can you get the wheels balanced you can also get a road force. It will measure the high and low spots on the wheel and tire and determine where to spin the tire on the wheel to get the best ride. We could not live without ours.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

the biggest thing here is the OP has drag radials, and most likely will be doing burnouts with them...is he going to re balance the wheels after every burnout???