Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

rear sway bar is inch enough

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default rear sway bar is inch enough

okay so I want a bmr(or comprable) extreme rear sway bar..I'm gonna be hitting the track this spring and want the car to go straight..Any way is a 1 inch good enough for a car that puts out 430rwhp in an A4 or do I need to step up to a bmr extreme,wolf etc..
Right now car has lakewood lower control arms,BMR relocation brackets,BMR adjustable tourque arm,and its off the tailshaft too..
So that leaves a rear sway,and yes I would rather have the best one but since christmas just ended and I bought a new 5c converter I wanna see if the ones under $200 will be good enough like a spohn 1inch or bmr..At what point do you need extreme one? Would I be there or will the cheaper ones be enough for now

okay so I think a 1inch will be okay for me,but now question is "is it okay to run a 1inch rear sway with a stock front"? I'm more concerned with straight line performance,but dont want it to be REALLY unsafe on the streets.

Last edited by john563; 12-25-2008 at 07:21 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-25-2008, 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

Do you have problems leaving straight right now...Ive seen pleanty of cars around 500hp leaving straight...seems when it comes to the rear sway, buy it when you need it unless you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

The one inch will be plenty. If you still have problems after that look elsewhere.

Vernon
Old 12-25-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
Do you have problems leaving straight right now...Ive seen pleanty of cars around 500hp leaving straight...seems when it comes to the rear sway, buy it when you need it unless you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket.
got some gift cards and wan to put it towards suspension
Old 12-25-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
The one inch will be plenty. If you still have problems after that look elsewhere.

Vernon
Do you have a 1inch sway bar? how do you like it
Old 12-25-2008, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by john563
got some gift cards and wan to put it towards suspension
sweet. My advice would be get the one you really want so you dont have to deal with it later...so my vote is for the BMR Extreme
Old 12-25-2008, 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

No, I put in a 21 or a 22, I can't remember exactly right now and it helped quite a bit. I also picked spring locations so the right rear was the stiffer of the two and the left front was the stiffer up front. I have Pavlock control arms with relocation brackets and his panhard bar. A Spohn tunnel mounted torque arm. Now the car dead hooks, even in the wet it will go hard. When the tires do slip the chassis stays strait and true whereas before it was all over the place. The sway-bar was the last mod and I noticed a significant improvement. If the smaller bar helped me then the bigger one will work even better for a launch. The rear starts getting looser in high speed turns without equal increases in the front bar though, our Firehawk has the 32 front stock and works good with the 21-22 rear but with slight oversteer when pushed over limits. A 24 with a stock front would only be worse, but nothing dangerous at most speeds, only when you push it past fast to "watch this!".

Vernon
Old 12-25-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 inch is 25mm
i had an eibach 25mm hollow rear swaybar and it was almost too much for corners.
i'd almost say it was twitchy with stock springs/shocks (was on a v6 convertible camaro).

as far as tracking straight, i'm tracking straight (spinning) with a 22mm solid bar on stock motor with 3600 2.5str stall. on street tires, this is spinning through 1st and most of 2nd.
if i was going to be picking up front wheels, i'd probably go with a bmr extreme. i would probably wreck my ss with that kind of bar since i like speed through my corners.

Last edited by BobDoLe; 12-25-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

for the guys that said get a extreme what size front sway bar do you run with it? Like I said I'm more concern with straight line however I dont want it dangerous taking turn just driving around....
Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 PM
11 Second Club

Most any drag guy that has upgraded to a bigger rear bar has most likely removed the front bar altogether.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sway bars reduce the right tire lift but it's always there, some.
Because the bar only resists proportional to the angle difference.
If you want equal force then either the offset springs like above,
a "drag bag" (which I guess counts as suspension, dunno about
the gift card outfit's inventory) or like I did, a set of Gabriel air
shocks with separate air Schraders so I can put 20lb in the right
and nothing in the left if'n I want.

At least the air approaches don't cost you anything when you let
it out, handling-wise. Though I'm sure most people disagree with
my choice of shocks on general principles.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

okay so I'm leaning heavily towards a 1inch...My question is if I leave the front stock will the handling be dangerous?
I don't do corner carving more into straight line,but lets say I'm on the freeway doing 70mph and just want to go around a car to pass will it be unsafe with the rear bar upgraded
and not the front? would I have to REALLY SLOW DOWN to pass or will it be okay just to get on the other lane and pass if it can do this then this is okay by me
Old 01-06-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

It will be unoticeable just driving around a car on the freeway. I've driven without any front sway-bar at all and was still able to push it in corners faster than most other people ever would. All the while the car was controllable. If you leave the stocker on front and go to a 1" rear you'll have a better hook and a car that will go into oversteer when you push it fast enough in a curve to break the tires loose, but at any lower lateral accelleration it will drive almost the same. It's safer than most cars and trucks at the same speeds in my experience.

BTW, my rear is a 21 mm, I measured it again since the other day.

Vernon
Old 01-06-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
It will be unoticeable just driving around a car on the freeway. I've driven without any front sway-bar at all and was still able to push it in corners faster than most other people ever would. All the while the car was controllable. If you leave the stocker on front and go to a 1" rear you'll have a better hook and a car that will go into oversteer when you push it fast enough in a curve to break the tires loose, but at any lower lateral accelleration it will drive almost the same. It's safer than most cars and trucks at the same speeds in my experience.

BTW, my rear is a 21 mm, I measured it again since the other day.

Vernon
thanks for your response it was very helpfull!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

go to the drag racing tech section. there are a couple posts about this and some good info. basically 25mm bars and anti roll bars will make the ride harsh if the street is not smooth. will also make the rear slide out more easily in the corners if you push it. an anti roll bar like a bmr extreme drag bar makes the car so stiff that if you jack up the front of the car on one side the rear will also rise. basically DON'T hit the corners hard with a 25mm bar or drag bar and expect a harsh ride. you will feel the bumps throughout the whole car. however once adjusted you will leave straight as an arrow.

Quick Reply: rear sway bar is inch enough