Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Better grip for better handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better grip for better handling

I don't know if any of you have this problem, but when I drive my Z28, it is hard for me to grip the steering wheel. Since I feel more comfortable driving with one hand, I need to have the best grip on my steering wheel so I can maneuver fast and make fast u turns. I don't know if its just my car, but the outter part of my steering wheel is bald and don't know if its supposed to be like this, or its just worn out. Are there any steering wheel covers I can add which would give much better grip for one handed drivers, which would also provide grip when the hands are a little moist?

Any types of materials I should look out for which would still provide grip when the wheel is a little moist from glistening hands?
Old 12-26-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

this should go down as the weirdest question of 2008 on ls1tech...
Old 12-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by QWIK Z of OP
Lol come on, you never had this problem? The Z28 is the only car ive ever driven that has horrible grip on the wheel.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol...naw i dont have that problem, normally i just rest my right hand on the top right side of the horn/airbag in that lil corner.
when i turn the car i typically use two hands, that's just how i was taught by my dad... sorry i cant help any. good luck though!
Old 12-26-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold on tighter Never had a problem either..if its bald as you describe get some kind of cover for it maybe
Old 12-26-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Aftermarket wheel?
Old 12-26-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i use a very tight pep boys wheel cover, got one to match my interior and also one that doesnt say "TYPE RRRRRRR" just a plain black and gray one. im used to a thicker truck steering wheel so i put the cover on my f body to keep them the same.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have a problem with my wheel got big hands maybe?
Old 12-27-2008, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

x4, never had that problem, but my wheel looks really greasy for some reason, like a nerd wiped his face all over it.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:52 AM
Launching!

Well its not anything about hands or anything. I got pretty big hands too, thin but big. Lets say when I'm making a U turn, ill use only my left hand to make the turn. I will use the tip of the inside of my hand. Like using the ball of the knuckle i guess. I have no problem holding on to the wheel when I'm driving. Its just when making U turns or making sharp turns quick, Ill use only the tip of the inside of my hand and turn the wheel quick like that. Not sure if I'm making it clear. But basically, there is no grip on the camaro steering wheel to keep my hand from sliding.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Try using two hands when doing Uturns? Or maybe slow it down a little bit and don't try to be Dale Earnheardt out there on city streets?
Old 12-27-2008, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x894891

..LOL..?
Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

wheelskins makes a cover that actually stitches onto the steering wheel and is leather so it should make it a bit thicker and help with grip. you can get it perforated or what not too.

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/whe...one-cover.html
Old 12-27-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Get a $10 slip on steering wheel cover at WalMart-makes a world of difference.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try this forearm workout.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brickyard
Try using two hands when doing Uturns? Or maybe slow it down a little bit and don't try to be Dale Earnheardt out there on city streets?
+2.

Like isn't it pretty obvious what to do? You need to slow down a bit, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to hold onto the wheel while making a U-turn. I don't know many places where making a 30MPH U-Turn is safe, and if you aren't making speedy U-Turns, maybe you need to work out a bit more and grab the wheel a little harder.

But if you really want to change it, get one of those steering wheel covers with the weird *** plastic things made for grip.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Launching!

ok ha ha, good jokes but not really what im looking for. Thanks to the people who gave me serious answers. I will look into some leather steering wheel covers.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Counted Out
+2.

Like isn't it pretty obvious what to do? You need to slow down a bit, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to hold onto the wheel while making a U-turn. I don't know many places where making a 30MPH U-Turn is safe, and if you aren't making speedy U-Turns, maybe you need to work out a bit more and grab the wheel a little harder.

But if you really want to change it, get one of those steering wheel covers with the weird *** plastic things made for grip.
I'm not making fast u turns. I want to be able to steer the wheel fast when the car is stopped for 3 point turns. And holding the wheel is not the problem. only the tip of my hand is actually coming in contact with the wheel when i am turning it. my hand is open so i can spin the wheel with one hand.

I guess no one really understands what im trying to say. well check out this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs7YW...ext=1&index=42

0:47 seconds into the video. He is only using one hand to spin the wheel at first. This is what im trying to explain. He uses more of his lower palm, while I use more of the upper palm, i guess, right below the finger.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by QWIK Z of OP
no, I think this is 2nd to the guy who wanted to know how much his paint job weighed on his camaro.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by guitarplayersteven
I'm not making fast u turns. I want to be able to steer the wheel fast when the car is stopped for 3 point turns. And holding the wheel is not the problem. only the tip of my hand is actually coming in contact with the wheel when i am turning it. my hand is open so i can spin the wheel with one hand.

I guess no one really understands what im trying to say. well check out this video..
We all understand, but it's just the answer seems to be pretty obvious. Steering wheels were not made to be spun around with the palm of a hand, they are meant to be held.

If you can't hold the wheel, make U-Turns with two hands.

Quick Reply: Better grip for better handling