Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo or NA for DD... real question, need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo or NA for DD... real question, need help

ok i am installing an LS1 in a 79 malibu and have two real options... i have a set of long tube headers to fit the application and have bought a pat-g cam 226/232 .609/.604 111LS+2 that was spec'ed for ported LS6 heads, and should yield 420RWHP when all i ssaid etc...

now i havent bought the heads yet (Well i have them on order from tea, bit they are 3 weeks out and i can still change my mind on the specifics)

i also have a setup i bought a year back before i decided to go NA... that comprises a livernois single turbo headersetup foe an escalade (will fit with minor mods of drivers side header) a t70 turbo speced for the LS1, a 50 mm WG, 50mm BOV, big IC (even have an aeromotive a1000 if fueling cant be fed by my walbro 225... pics below

so all i really need would be tubing (which i have alot of since i would only be running single exhaust instead of dual)
bigger injectors (that i would propably need anyway) and propably an ls9 cam that should be great for boost. and give TEA a call and chaneg my order from small to big chamber... ported ls6 to ported 6.0L with big chamber.... which is a free upgrade (and i can sell the stainless works LT headers to recover some cost)

my plan was to get a vic jr for looks and flow (know its not needed but i like toh look) along with bigger injectors anyway... so my question is this:

stick with the NA setup for durability, or go the extra mile and install the setup in the pic... i allready have it, and having tried to sell it on this board, there were no real takers for it....

all arguments accepted
Old 12-28-2008, 07:34 AM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

More power is always good, but if you don't put the turbo in you will always wish you had
Old 12-28-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

true.... but how does the turbo affect the drivabillity... i mean with the NA sttup the car should feel aggressive and present... will it feel more sluggish with the turbo, or is lag a non issue in real life??
Old 12-28-2008, 09:14 AM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

Depending on how quick your turbo spools is how much lag you will have.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:33 AM
11 Second Club

well if you have all the expensive turbo **** already why not. I used to have a sts (now building a t70 front mount) on my ws6. the car had plenty of power off boost (probally around 300hp) but when I would let it eat I was around 550whp and 570-580 trq.

my view on the turbo vs na is this.

n/a the car is always loud (which I do love), always ready to go,however it's also always running at higher compression,always making great trq now!!

with the boost I can take my wife and daughter out to eat, we ride in comfort (no ear plugs for them) anyone who knows about cars see's the ram air hood, then a big *** FMIC and knows the ****** is nasty. all the while she's just puring at the stop light thanks to the very affective,yet docile ls6 cam. if I want to mess around I give it some gas at BAM 450 whp with one downshift.

I go to the track or see some douche in a 72 daytona spider, I hit 2 buttons. one for the highg boost,and one for meth. all of a sudden the mild mannered "stock" ws6 is pissed and looking for blood.

so I guess what I'm getting at is either way 500 hp your fine dd, in my eyes it's more stress to be at that level every day,stress on the motor and yourself. problems with idle from the massive tb, waking everyone in the neighboorhood up when you fire your beast at 4:30am to drive to work. (think N/A 500 whp on a cold start) the walls shaking in the garge your 2yr waking up and momma getting pissed (ask me how I know)

but hey,I'm a boost junking. ask an old hotroder that owned a car with fins and they will tell u something completely different.

all the import guys say "the replacement for displacement is a turbo" I'm a greddy ****** and decided I would have both.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^This is one smart man.

You won't have to worry about lag even with that size of a turbo.
You got a hell of a lot of cubes working for you.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

it does sound tempting to throw it on.... i especially like the part about it being docile and nice in daily trafic.... and with 2600 rpm stall i should have boost almost right away...
Old 12-28-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

needaz28... I agree 100%.

No driving problems with a turbo.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:15 AM
11 Second Club

if you decide to run N/A send me a price on that t70
Old 12-28-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

with he turbo and a mild cam you will have the best of both worlds, stock driveability in traffic,better gas milage then a cam if driven sainly, and off boost even your other half could happily drive it.

But get up it and into boost = yeah baby !
Kinda jeckle and hide

A nasty cam at idle sounds pretty cool but can be a pain in the *** for a DD
The sound of a spooling turbo more then makes up for it

Quick Reply: Turbo or NA for DD... real question, need help