Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

removing front dash pad

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default removing front dash pad

i want to install my xm antenna under the dash pad but am unsure how to remove the dash pad. any help to this would be appreciated (pictures would help out even more if anyone has them) also if anyone has a better location that works well in a hidden location would be appreciated. i do not want to mount this outside the car or any place very noticeable.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took off the A-pillar covers and then popped it off, just be careful not to break it.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea the sun bakes that thing pretty good so any attempt to pop it off when you're not 100% even lifting it, it'll burst into a million plastic peices. Be prepared to buy a new one just in case lol
Old 01-03-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What he said... When the tech replaced my windshield in May, he asked me to show him how I routed my XM antenna so he could avoid it with this saw, and I said no problem, lifted the dash cover, and it broke in 2! I was leaving for a show the next morning and it really sucked! I just found a replacement pad last week and will be getting in the next couple of weeks. Install is extremely simple with T-Tops, just remove the pillar covers and the dash cover lifts at the seam from the dash. It is held down with several (3-4?) Velcro 1" 'spots.'

I recommend working slowly when lifting the cover, and better yet, a couple of extra hands would help distribute the lifting pressure. Slow, gentle, gradual lifting will be your best bet. Once off, the cover is extremely flimsy, support it very well. I had a 6" steel disk (for antenna ground plane) handy, so I cut the foam padding out under the dead center cover to fit the antenna, stuck the antenna in the cut-out, taped the steel disc under the magnet side of the antenna with good ole duct tape, routed the connector end of the antenna line through the dash to the console area and reinstalled the cover. Totally invisible, and performed well. I have since canceled XM I miss it.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

oh Sh*t now im scared , i have it mounted on the passenger side top corner of the windshield and not too good plus theres the (i know its there). any other locations you suggest to put it that i may not fall into the category of breaking anything. its about 15-20 degrees outside and that def does'nt help the flexibility of the material.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i took off the A pillers and just broke the dashpad in half to take it out

then again i had a foot long crack over by the pass side airbag extending out to the windshield so it was basically broken in half already and thats why i was talking out to replace it.

the hard part for me was figuring out how the new (used) one went in. i was afraid i was going to break it so i took it to a friend of mine who used to have a 95 T/A and had taken his in and out several times and had him do it
Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

so i heated the interior up real nice then took the pillar off, i used a long screwdriver to pop the first clip off. it was easy to feel around the dash with the screwdriver to get really close to the clip. then used a long needle nosed pliers to just place it on the recessed metal piece while my buddy gently held the dash pad up. thanks for the help guys it is appreciated
Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Mine broke taking it out, shattered in a million pieces.

I'm trying to find something to replace it with that won't break.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

So, you got it out without cracking it? That had to be a challenge with our "high-quality" plastic interior, haha yeah, high-quality.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

yea i got it patients, a buddy, long flat screwdriver, long needle nose, and a 12 pack thats the only way it worked. take 1 of those things out of the equation and it would prob have broken. thanks again guys my reception is 10 times better than before. now if only the pro fit bracket for my xm radio would show up i would be alot happier.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I'll be taking mine out soon because it is broken, so my question is, how hard is it to get the new one in? I don't care if I break the old one taking it out, but I'd like the new one to stay in one piece.

Oh, by the way, it's a hardtop car. Any tips?
Old 01-05-2009, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm looking into one of them Dash Carpets or something of that nature, I want something a little more flexible than that Dash Plastic.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the_merv
I'm looking into one of them Dash Carpets or something of that nature, I want something a little more flexible than that Dash Plastic.
mine was broken in a few places when i got the car so i glued them all back together then laid fiberglass under the matt and covered it with some black leather all in all i spent like 30 bucks and dont have to worry about it cracking again
Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crossroads
mine was broken in a few places when i got the car so i glued them all back together then laid fiberglass under the matt and covered it with some black leather all in all i spent like 30 bucks and dont have to worry about it cracking again
I would like to see pictures of how the dash looks now if you have some.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ lemme walk outside and take a pic(its dirty though so heads up)
Old 01-05-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

By crsrds24 at 2009-01-05

By crsrds24, shot with DSC-P200 at 2009-01-05

I'm still looking for some kind of mesh or something the cover the vent holes and my passenger airbag is fd' up from the previous owner letting it bake in the sun for 10 years

and sorry for the
Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but could I install the antenna inside the A-pillar and fish the line so I don't have the risk of breaking the pad? Or is it just too small?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn.. Add me to the broken dash pad list. I would buy one but I can't even find one for my 95 Formula Bird. Anyone?

Quick Reply: removing front dash pad