Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH400 cable, which are you using...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TH400 cable, which are you using...

like the title says, which cable are you using and how are you routing it. i keep managing to pick up a pretty long cable and after some use (say 3 months of driving it on the weekends) the cable tends to break. im sure its getting kinked up under the dash area and the center console (dont want it protruding towards my leg, it would be very annoying and not to mention unprofessional looking) but there isnt much i can to as far as moving the shifter around.... its a hurst 1/4 stick pro shifter.... if i put it too far forward it hits the dash, i pull it too far back it will hit the console and stop me from going into third, also if i raise the shifter any higher then i wont be able to route a cable to it since the dash will get in the way..... just wondering if anyone has some recommendations.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using the stock cable, stock shifter, in the stock location. Just make a bracket out of angle iron and mount it with the bolts on the pan.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pddye
I'm using the stock cable, stock shifter, in the stock location. Just make a bracket out of angle iron and mount it with the bolts on the pan.

right, you are using the stock shifter. im not.... the button on my shifter is for the transbrake... im looking for peoples input who have the same shifter or similar and want to know how they are routing things and what length cable they are using so that its not binding up.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:37 PM
10 Second Club

I have a B&M ratchet shifter (a lot less movement on shifts) in my Th400 setup and it came w/ a 5' cable. Sitting in the drivers seat for reference, the cable runs out of the cabin directly above the tranny then makes a long curve towrds the right and slightly down at the same time. The curve continues all the way around over the tailshaft of the tranny and then drops down on the left side to bolt into the the cable bracket! How long is your cable?
Old 01-15-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

im running the 5' cable as well it just really seems to bind up behind the dash.... i may just have to re-do things
Old 06-27-2009, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Raven02TA
im running the 5' cable as well it just really seems to bind up behind the dash.... i may just have to re-do things

Im running the B&M 5' heavy duty cable. I run it out the exact same hole as the factory one, down the passenger side of the Tranny case, loop it around(in front of the trans mount) and back towards the gear selector on the TH400. I run it the exact same way B&M recommends and it works great!!
Old 06-27-2009, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoaf85
I have a B&M ratchet shifter (a lot less movement on shifts) in my Th400 setup and it came w/ a 5' cable. Sitting in the drivers seat for reference, the cable runs out of the cabin directly above the tranny then makes a long curve towrds the right and slightly down at the same time. The curve continues all the way around over the tailshaft of the tranny and then drops down on the left side to bolt into the the cable bracket! How long is your cable?
Same shifter I'm running and same way my cable is ran
Old 06-29-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hurst Quarter stick with the supplied bracket and cable. I have my shifter sitting on a home made 3" spacer in the rear and a 2" spacer in the front. This angle allows me to run the cable through a hole right in front of it. Not under the dash. Works great. Also it sits high enough so in park the shifter **** does not hit the dash.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Goldfinger911
Hurst Quarter stick with the supplied bracket and cable. I have my shifter sitting on a home made 3" spacer in the rear and a 2" spacer in the front. This angle allows me to run the cable through a hole right in front of it. Not under the dash. Works great. Also it sits high enough so in park the shifter **** does not hit the dash.
im on a spacer as well ghetto 2x4's but it works i have the quarterstick and bought a hurst cable for 50-60$

Quick Reply: TH400 cable, which are you using...