General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Odd tick

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd tick

I've searched on here, and it appears i have a lifter tick. But the only problem is its not consitant. It'll happen for a min, then it'll be fine for the rest of the week. Anyways, i wanta make sure its a lifter tick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igYFZumjMgc

I took it to the mechanic *its under warrenty* he had the car 4 days drove it around and it never made the sound. He obviously wont work on the car unless he hears teh noise. He's 45 mins away...and everytime it starts ticking by the time i've gotten there its fine. I'm begining to think i should just buy lifters and put in the engine. The engine has 70,000 on it. Its actually a used engine which was put in my hawk. so i dont know if dirt or something got in it or what. I"ve flushed the oil out a few times and that seemed to help alil, but its still ticking.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similiar noise it was a loose spark plug and compression was leaking by the threads. mine was #7.

could be it it could not be but its a easy check
Old 01-17-2009, 12:37 AM
wrencher

Sure sounds like a lifter. You have to pull the heads though in order to replace them though.
There is another use for 'sea-foam'
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
You can put it in the oil & see if it can dislodge any possible varnish or sludge build up. Then change the oil. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you have a particairly heavy sludged up motor though.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:19 AM

Same thing happened to me, I heard some noise and suspect that it's the spark plug, nothing major.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

you think its the spark plug?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it does sound like a lifter tick, but it could be an exhaust leak also

if the tick goes away once the engine is warm, i would take a look at the lifters though.

how long has it been doing that? if it is a lifter tick, and it goes away it means there is something clogging your lifter.. i had a horrible tick before, and it went away after i did a few oil changes

i would suggest buying a cheap mechanics stethoscope, and putting it around the engine when you hear the tick, you will be able to find where its coming from quickly.

a lifter tick that goes away, like i said indicates a clogged lifter, if it never goes away, it is a collapsed lifter.

you can try running seafam, with some cheap oil and changing it after a few hundred miles, but i DO NOT recommend using it in the crank case, just a personal preference, but it can do more damage than it can help, especially on a worn engine, or one with a lot of sludge in it
Old 01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

well i have ran seafoam for about 100 miles and changed the oil. While i was running seafoam in it seemed to run smooth. I've done a couple oil changes on it and it seemed to help alil. The noise becomes quiter and quieter the more i've changed the oil. With that said the problems still there. Usually the tick is at start up and lasts for awhile after start up then goes away. Sometimes it occurs at random points while driving. But its never consitant so idk what to do? A guy at the parts store recommened i put this engine treatment in there. Its suppose to help coats parts and reduce engine noise. Anyways we will see how that works. Thanks for the imput guys.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002redhawk
well i have ran seafoam for about 100 miles and changed the oil. While i was running seafoam in it seemed to run smooth. I've done a couple oil changes on it and it seemed to help alil. The noise becomes quiter and quieter the more i've changed the oil. With that said the problems still there. Usually the tick is at start up and lasts for awhile after start up then goes away. Sometimes it occurs at random points while driving. But its never consitant so idk what to do? A guy at the parts store recommened i put this engine treatment in there. Its suppose to help coats parts and reduce engine noise. Anyways we will see how that works. Thanks for the imput guys.
let me quess he suggested z-max? LMAO if you bought it return it.

your symtoms do sound like a lifter. Switch to Amsoil it will most likely go away
Old 01-18-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A good "old school" trick, to help isolate your noise if your not sure.Start the car when the noise is present.Take a long screw driver and place it where the noise is, put the other end by your ear.That will help to locate exactly where the problem is.Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

its coming from driver side rocker arm 2 from underneath it. its def. a lifter. I tihnk its just got something stuck in it or something. because it doesnt occur all the time at all.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Launching!

I've had the exact same tic in my 5.3 s10.Just about finished putting things back together.It would start ticking while I was driving,(cruising),then it would start ticking again.WTF!Pulled valve covers off,pulled rockers and push rods,rockers looked good,push rods looked bad.replaced rods and same problem,so now I replaced the lifters and I hope that does the trick.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

i know this is kinda an old post but i figured i would put my 2 cents in. Def a lifter or lifters. not an exhaust leak due to the fact the tick stay with the RPM of the engine even when coming down from a rev. exhaust leak fade away when coming down from a rev. i would try seafoam, and also pull your valve covers and your rockers off and have a look at your pushrods to make sure none of them are bent. if you have some bent pushrods it will tick like that also. if you cant solve the problem with either of those its time to pull the heads off get some new lifters and Hardend pushrods. and if that dosent stop then,,, well you get a bigger problem.--(spun rod bearing,bent valves....... hope this helps