Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil fill cap breather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil fill cap breather?

I see that alot of people have the air breathers on the oil fill caps and i i didnt know if theses are homemade items or if there is someone that sells them and where to get them? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We sell one particular version made by Metco. It actually replaces the plastic fill neck or you can screw it in in place of the oil cap. If you do use an open breather on any late model MAF equipped engine, you should delete the PCV as well. Otherwise, you will have unmetered air entering the crankcase which may cause an issue with your tune.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...0&sid=91#P1939

Shane
Old 01-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

and how would you reccomend to delete the pcv system casue i think that everyone on here has there own way of doing it and didnt know what was reccomended?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:25 PM
FormerVendor

If your car is stock, All you have to do is remove the PCV hoses from the engine and plug or cap the remaining holes or barbs.

There will be 1 on top of the throttle body on the passenger side, 1 on the maifold right behind the throttle body on the pass side, 1 on the front of the pass side valve cover. I recommend running a 3/8" rubber hose from the fitting on the back of the drivers side valve cover to the back of the pass side valve cover to help the drivers side breathe a little better. That would leave you needing 3 3/8" vaccuum caps and about an 18" length of 3/8" vaccuum hose.

Hope this helps,
Shane
Old 01-17-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
If you do use an open breather on any late model MAF equipped engine, you should delete the PCV as well. Otherwise, you will have unmetered air entering the crankcase which may cause an issue with your tune.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...0&sid=91#P1939

Shane
Alright, I need some elaborating on this. I have heard over and over that it will cause un-metered air entering the system. How so? In the crank case? I have to admit I dont get it. I have searched and cant seem to find the exact answer im looking for. On a DD car, You wouldnt recommend deleting the PCV system would you? Wouldn't it be much easier and also beneficial to just upgrade to the LS6 PCV system?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

well its a little confussing but... my car is not stock about the only thing stock is the block! ls6 heads, fast intake, comp cam, longtube headers,and some. i have read on here that some just remove all the pcv hoses and cap off the inlets to the intake and TB and then put breathers on the valve cover inlets? whats your take on this?
Old 01-17-2009, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Always seemed to me that the gases entering the crankcase/engine oil would not have a sufficient way of exiting and not contaminating the engine oil. After all, One of the main purpose's is to not contaminate the oil with these gases correct?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:38 PM
FormerVendor

First of all, there has to be some way for the crankcase to breathe. Combustion gasses blow by the piston rings and generate positive pressure in the crankcase and need a place to go. Also condensation has to be vented as well. In the old days, you just had open vents on the valve covers and all was well with the world.

Since these combustion by-products are fairly nasty to the environment, the Government has required automakers to come up with a system to efficiently deal with the gasses and thus the PCV system was born. PCV stands for Passive Crankcase Ventilation. The way a PCV system works is simple. You just need to follow the air path through the engine. I'll use the LS1 air path here because it is what we are talking about so here goes.

Since the LS1 is a "mass-air" engine, all of the air being consumed has to be accounted for. The air first enters the airbox via the filter, it then travels through the box into the mass air meter then into the throttle body and intake. If you notice on an F-Body there is a hose coming off the top of the TB on the pass side. This is your PCV supply hose this is where fresh air enters the crankcase. Since it is after the mass air meter, this air is "metered" air. The air then flows throughout the crankcase into PCV hoses which run from the back of the DS valve cover over to the back of the pass side valve cover then into the side of the intake manifold right behind the TB on the pass side. As you can see, if you have a leak anywhere in the system after the MAF, it is considered a vaccuum leak. A breather filter on a car with PCV is just a vaccuum leak to the computer.

I hope this helps, I know it might sound complicated but its really not.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 01-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

I've read only high horsepower, hi rpm, and boosted applications need a breather in place of the oil cap. And if you're trying to stop oil consumption by the pcv system, a catch can is what you want.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a good read about pcv systems. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...v-systems.html
Old 01-17-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS

Since the LS1 is a "mass-air" engine, all of the air being consumed has to be accounted for. The air first enters the airbox via the filter, it then travels through the box into the mass air meter then into the throttle body and intake. If you notice on an F-Body there is a hose coming off the top of the TB on the pass side. This is your PCV supply hose this is where fresh air enters the crankcase. Since it is after the mass air meter, this air is "metered" air. The air then flows throughout the crankcase into PCV hoses which run from the back of the DS valve cover over to the back of the pass side valve cover then into the side of the intake manifold right behind the TB on the pass side. As you can see, if you have a leak anywhere in the system after the MAF, it is considered a vaccuum leak. A breather filter on a car with PCV is just a vaccuum leak to the computer.

I hope this helps, I know it might sound complicated but its really not.

Thanks,
Shane
Thats perfect... All it comes down to is... a oil filler breather combined WITH the PCV system and MAF will cause un-metered air as the air passes over to the PS valve cover and into the intake. Right?
Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 PM
FormerVendor

Yes. you've got it. I don't really see a need to delete the PCV system on most cars. As stated above, The PCV does a great job of keeping your engine clean. An LS6 PCV conversion and/or catch can is a much better soloution to clear up PCV related oil consumption issues. I do not advocate running open breathers in most cases but if you are going to do it, make sure you do it properly.

Shane
Old 01-18-2009, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
Here's a good read about pcv systems. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...v-systems.html

Yes, we hammered the topic to death in this link. It should help to answer any remaining questions. Good find

Quick Reply: Oil fill cap breather?