Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

OMG! America can make decent sedans

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:23 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OMG! America can make decent sedans

OMG! Is America actually building sedans that people would want to be seen driving rather than renting? Both the 2010 Ford Taurus and the Chrysler 200C
are a great improvement over what is offered now, with the exception of the G8. Oh and please don't get on here and tell me the last great American sedan was that budget rental car the '05 Pontiac Bonneville GXP.
Hopefully the interiors of these two new offerings will match the level of their exteriors. Too bad they had to be threatened with their death or near death in order to start designing vehicles that are attractive to consumers and not just a, "Well... that's all I could afford.", vehicle.

Last edited by LEO; 01-18-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:55 AM
LEO
TECH Addict

Any moderators out there feel free to delete the word an from the title in this thread. What can I say it was too early sunday morning and I hadn't even had my first cup of coffee.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LEO
OMG! America can make decent sedans
Yes, yes they can (and do).
Old 01-18-2009, 03:33 PM
***Repost Police***

Yeah, I recently saw the new Taurus and I too think it looks promising. Let's see if the overall car actually does what the exterior promises.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Restricted User

They have been for a few years now. Well at least GM has. I would have hoped that Ford and Chrysler would have followed their lead by now. My wife's 2007 G6 is every bit as nice as a 2007 Camry or Accord...in fact the interior in the G6 is of far higher quality with alot less hard plastic than either the Toyota or the Honda. It also has more room than both cars, and get's better gas mileage than both while being faster. Keep in mind, that's the G6 released in 2005...the 2008 Malibu puts that G6 to shame.

Things are turning around, but is it too late?
Old 01-18-2009, 04:07 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Gotta agree the '08 Malibu's seem pretty nice.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Launching!

The new Taurus does seem promising....hopefully Ford dosnt throw a bunch of low quality crap in it at the last minute like they have been known to do. Otherwise it appears to be a great competitor for the big 3 Japanese sedans...

Last edited by RedBeauty84ZX; 01-18-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
They have been for a few years now. Well at least GM has. I would have hoped that Ford and Chrysler would have followed their lead by now. My wife's 2007 G6 is every bit as nice as a 2007 Camry or Accord...in fact the interior in the G6 is of far higher quality with alot less hard plastic than either the Toyota or the Honda. It also has more room than both cars, and get's better gas mileage than both while being faster. Keep in mind, that's the G6 released in 2005...the 2008 Malibu puts that G6 to shame.

Things are turning around, but is it too late?
Not to be a punk but Ford is ahead of GM in quality. ANd if you want links, just ask or look up 2008 Quality awards. Ford tied Toyota and Honda while GM is a couple steps back.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am guessing this is a thread for the under 40 grand sedan, because to me the lincoln town car is the defention of the best sedan ever made. A ride whose comfort is second to none, and being a kid who was raised by a dad who had a limo buisness, the only car I can think of that can take 200,000 miles in just one year and not have any issues or not even a crease in the leather. Even right now he has an 06 town car in his garage with 305,000 miles on it and only a radiator replaces and looks like it has 0 miles on it. And I had a 95 town car that had close to 450 thousand miles and I can honestly say it never failed me and only went through 2 window motors and the rest was routine maintanence. These are all limo cars so thats why they get so many miles in so little time
Old 01-21-2009, 12:52 AM
***Repost Police***

It's a great sedan if you want to feel like you're being taken for a ride, even if you're driving. For people that want to actually feel like they're driving something, a Town Car simply won't do. But I will say that they are a pleasure to ride in.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LEO
OMG! Is America actually building sedans that people would want to be seen driving rather than renting? Both the 2010 Ford Taurus and the Chrysler 200C
are a great improvement over what is offered now, with the exception of the G8. Oh and please don't get on here and tell me the last great American sedan was that budget rental car the '05 Pontiac Bonneville GXP.
Hopefully the interiors of these two new offerings will match the level of their exteriors. Too bad they had to be threatened with their death or near death in order to start designing vehicles that are attractive to consumers and not just a, "Well... that's all I could afford.", vehicle.

For you to make such a statement you obviously have some ideas on what some GREAT NON AMERICAN sedans have been. Would you please take the time and throw them out here for discussion?

Jakes Dad
Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
Not to be a punk but Ford is ahead of GM in quality. ANd if you want links, just ask or look up 2008 Quality awards. Ford tied Toyota and Honda while GM is a couple steps back.
Those awards are meaningless to me. I own a fourth Gen F-body, does anyone in here really think I care all that much about my interior? You get what you pay for, as long as there are decent seats, and a nice stereo I am happy. I don't want/ need telescoping steering wheels, 6 way power seats, Navigation (although I do like it) CVT, I just want a nice looking, REASONABLY PRICED vehicle, that is built with simple enough components and design telemetry that I don't have to mortgage my home to repair it or modify it
Old 01-21-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
For you to make such a statement you obviously have some ideas on what some GREAT NON AMERICAN sedans have been. Would you please take the time and throw them out here for discussion?

Jakes Dad
BMWs
Mercedes
Audis
Infinity G35/G37
higher end Lexuses (IS models)
WRXs

You know, sedans that haul people and are actually fun to drive?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
We are talking about sedans, not trucks.

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
It's a great sedan if you want to feel like you're being taken for a ride, even if you're driving. For people that want to actually feel like they're driving something, a Town Car simply won't do. But I will say that they are a pleasure to ride in.
+10000000
I've had the displeasure of driving a town car . Ok, I understand its just supposed to be a reliable, big people hauler, and by god it does its job well but its light years away from being the "best" anything. ICEMAN 31 go take a CTS for a test drive...
Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
BMWs
Mercedes
Audis
Infinity G35/G37
WRXs

Those arent exactly cheap cars...i think the Cadillac CTS-V, Pontiac G8, and G6, and even the Grand Am are (were)great cars...also i hear the dodge charger is pretty good and the lincoln town car
Old 01-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
BMWs
Mercedes
Audis
Infinity G35/G37
WRXs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, none of those cars hold a candle to the TOP SELLING sedans the folks in the US buy. But you want more fun to drive cars from the American car builders - OK!

I think recently, Caddy has been doing a good job of bringing fun and driving pleasure to the sedan.

For the american auto industry to build something there needs to already be a market for a product. Or they think there is a market for something so they build it. I think the G8 is a prime example of a car built for a market that really doesn't exist. In my opinion fun and sedan don't mix.

A family sedan is around 25 K, seats 5, and has a trunk. This is based on a family of four, one income, with an income of say 50 - 65K. I can't see too many folks in this income level spending the money required on your fun to drive list, yet haul people.

my opinion

Jakes Dad
Old 01-21-2009, 04:41 PM
***Repost Police***

And that opinion is why the Big 3 lost market share, and just had to be bailed out.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:41 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Jakes Dad
I think Mercedes makes the best sedans around. They have second to none build quality, a wide variety of motors from mild to wild, great styling, each model has an original look to it (C, E, S, & CLS), they handle well without being jarring like the BMW's, and the interiors can't be beat. Plus they cover a wide price range from 29K to 180K - a little something for everybody.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
And that opinion is why the Big 3 lost market share, and just had to be bailed out.

They didn't need to be bailed out. File BK. Everyone thats retired or still working under a UNION contract gets FXXXXX. Every supplier gets FXXXXX. Every dealer gets FXXXXX. And in less than two years 2 more million Americans are out of work.

You don't own or drive a family sedan. I still value your opinion. I'll bet if you were able to find the place you vote at, you voted for change. That's ok too You'll be putting up with this SXXX far longer then I will live..

Jakes Dad
Old 01-21-2009, 07:40 PM
***Repost Police***

They didn't need to be bailed out. File BK. Everyone thats retired or still working under a UNION contract gets FXXXXX. Every supplier gets FXXXXX. Every dealer gets FXXXXX. And in less than two years 2 more million Americans are out of work.

You don't own or drive a family sedan. I still value your opinion. I'll bet if you were able to find the place you vote at, you voted for change. That's ok too You'll be putting up with this SXXX far longer then I will live..

Jakes Dad
Your posts only make sense half of the time... but nobody can argue that the Big 3 (GM in particular) spent too much time/energy/money building too many cars that people didn't want to buy, and too little time/energy/money building cars that people actually did want to buy. And in the meantime everybody that wanted what they didn't build developed their own preferences and opinions. Then when GM comes late to the game with stuff that people would actually want, they wonder why nobody buys it.

Quick Reply: OMG! America can make decent sedans